Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

Postby Freda_Checks » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 pm

I agree, feet as a measure of distance in the UK is meaningless. Suggest use of yards or metres.
Freda_Checks

Postby johndoglesswright » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Totally agree. Please can we have yards as an option
johndoglesswright

Postby loz_dude » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 am

I'm really surprised this still isn't fixed, although I can see that very little effort is being spent on feature improvements in Waze.

I'm British, but spend most of my time in Malaysia, where I use metric measurements in Waze.
On trips to the UK, I switch Waze to use miles, which is fine on long motorway trips,
but for navigation in a town it's really annoying to see that a turn is in 500 feet or 150 feet - that isn't natural for me (the maths to convert to yards may be simple, but I need to be 100% focused on driving when I'm in a strange town with lots of turnings and one-way systems!).

Why can't the people at Waze accept that people in the UK use miles and yards for driving distances, not miles and feet?
Does someone at Waze think that it's just a temporary problem, and in a few years the British will either go completely metric or adopt the US style? Just accept that's not going to happen (just like US people will always prefer feet to yards), and let your developers add a miles/yards option for the UK...
loz_dude

Postby fveggerby » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 pm

inch, feet, yard, mile are obsolete.
Give up already.
;)
fveggerby
Localizers
Localizers

Postby theHeatingEngineer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 pm

We have all got our preferred mix of large and small units. They are all valid and just show how peculiar (oops!) - different we are :-)
I would like to hear Miles and metres. I'm old and British, and on my first day at college (1972) the lecturers asked if we would like to use this new-fangled metric system. On being told some of the names for imperial units like the "slug", metrication won. I run the 100m, 200m and 400m sprints, but measure longer distances in miles. I know what a 1000 feet is but still convert it to meters to help me 'picture' the distance.
theHeatingEngineer

Postby tonytx05 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:35 am

Waze staff do not read these forums, so +1 here doesn’t do anything. Feature requests should be entered at https://waze.uservoice.com, you can use this forum to promote your submission there.

This has already been suggested so I suggest voting for it here if you’re interested: https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... ance-units
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby world_2bvag6mm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm using kilometres in the UK in preference to miles and feet. It's arrogant to assume that people in the UK will adapt to feet. How hard would it be to put a ÷3 in the software?
world_2bvag6mm

Postby geordiemick2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Yards would be useful. Metric uses km/hour for speed which takes some mental calculation
geordiemick2

Postby NigelCharman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Not living in the US, use of feet feels weird, and I have to do some maths in my head to work out what it means. If you don't get that, imagine if it gave distances in inches. " Next junction 7000 inches" is that a long way or not?
NigelCharman

Previous

Return to Waze App Feature Requests