Adjust text size/color/font

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Adjust text size/color/font

Postby bumpintheroad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

I found a number of laundry list posts on suggestions for improvement, but I feel this deserves a thread of its own. Many of us are impacted by vision issues. I've reached that stage in my life where I need glasses to both see distant and close-up objects. Waze has several features that make it easier and safer to use on the road, but those features are moot for us with vision issues when we can't read a bloody thing on the screen.

I even upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung S5 to get a bigger screen. Still I can't read the search results without pulling off the road, removing the phone from its cradle on the dash, and using my reading glasses. Not really convenient.

So please give us the option of selecting larger font size and higher contrasts color schemes in Waze.
bumpintheroad

Re: Adjust text size/color/font

Postby ChemTech » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:28 pm

I agree. There should be a high contrast mode for the entire app. Some people don't care for the currently cool "light gray text on slightly lighter gray background" style. A GPS's purpose is to get information to the driver quickly.
ChemTech

Postby terapm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:17 pm

I agree. Even with my S5 volume at max I don't always hear what the problem is up ahead, and I can't read what's on the screen without pulling over and donning my glasses (which I don't do). At a minimum a larger font (and the ability to adjust it) would help. There is a lot of "white space" that could be used.
terapm

Postby almonetts » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 pm

This new font color and lack of contrast is severely impacting ability to visually navigate.

Please reconsider option of restoring white font against black background or creation of additional settings for users to select.

Thank you.
almonetts

Postby minnesnowtan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Agreed about the lack of font size and contrast. When opening "about" on my iPhone 5s, I actually feel a small wind going into the phone, indicating how much the very hard to read text actually sucks.

BTW, I drive legally without prescription eyewear, rarely use reading glasses and I still back my about statement and the statements of the others on this thread. I have also done a lot of computer support for graphics professionals, seen their work, and find such horrid contrast completely unacceptable. Who authorized this, a lazy person on a deadline? Fix the contrast and we shall see (or not) how the font size works out.

Sorry if I sound wishy-washy.
minnesnowtan

Postby jeepish » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:07 am

MinneSnowtan wrote:Agreed about the lack of font size and contrast. When opening "about" on my iPhone 5s, I actually feel a small wind going into the phone, indicating how much the very hard to read text actually sucks.

BTW, I drive legally without prescription eyewear, rarely use reading glasses and I still back my about statement and the statements of the others on this thread. I have also done a lot of computer support for graphics professionals, seen their work, and find such horrid contrast completely unacceptable. Who authorized this, a lazy person on a deadline? Fix the contrast and we shall see (or not) how the font size works out.

While the new v4 UI is definitely 'cleaner', it's become almost dangerous for me to use Waze for navigating in unfamiliar territory. During my regular commute, it isn't as necessary for me to know the names of the street for an upcoming turn, but in new areas it's crucial. The blue-on-black text is terrible.

I now have to remove my sunglasses before I can read the street name--something I NEVER had to do with the old UI. I also find myself doing the same for the new icons -- they're cleaner, but they're so much smaller that they're much more difficult to identify. I also have reading glasses, not a big deal and not needed for driving or seeing my dashboard or even my phone in the car, but with the new Waze UI elements being so much smaller overall (I'm using an iPhone 6, so a decently sized display) I struggle to see what's going on with traffic warnings, reporting, etc.

I have no problem if you continue to offer this new UI, but please give us some alternative schemes. I used the old one for years and never had a problem seeing/using the app. Now I see the app as a necessary evil, rather than an app I love (which I used to, really. Drive in SoCal.).
jeepish

Postby TerrellSmith » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:30 am

I agree, the font is now much too small. I don't need glasses for driving, but do for reading. And cannot read the tiny font used anymore. And I am using an iPhone 6 Plus. Also the icons look pretty, but they all look pretty much like each other when reporting - big round circles with tiny icons inside. It's very hard to try to figure out what the icons are. Get rid of the circles and make the icons bigger, and don't make them all look alike - make them each uniquely different, so that they can be differentiated at a glance.
TerrellSmith

Postby Rodar2289 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:57 pm

I am a new user. I thought my age was showing. Glad this isn't just me having this problem.
Rodar2289

Postby PeteP38RR » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 am

I would also like options for larger fonts. Similar to others I only need glasses for reading, but not driving.

Additionally making the fonts larger will enable a safer quick glance at the Nav screen while driving.
PeteP38RR

Postby ralrashid » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Please allow us to increase the font size of street names. As is, they are way to small to be seen while trying to navigate safely !!!!
ralrashid

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests