Preferred Routing

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Preferred Routing

Postby cobra_snake » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:03 am

Really need a feature to learn my preferred route.
Why? Because the Waze machine doesn't know everything!
Does Waze know which route is easier to drive?
Does Waze know which road is better maintained?
Does Waze know which route is safer?
Does Waze know which route is more scenic?
I do!

So why not just let Waze learn my preferred route, and give it to me? Then just let me know if there's an incident or significant slow down at the junction before I make the choice?

Jake
cobra_snake

Re: Preferred Routing

Postby vince1612 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:31 am

This feature already exists, it's called.. memory :roll:.
I mean, if you already know your route (very well too from what you wrote) and Waze doesn't, you simply don't need to use the navigation to destination feature. Just open the app and start driving.

You will still see the colored roads for traffic and warnings on your screen while you are freely driving on your preferred route.

Also this has been mentionned many times before. Please search before posting.
Why? Because keeping the discussion in one place makes it way easier for everyone to follow, and more effective than if there are 13 different small threads for 1 common issue. ;)

Vince
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Waze does NOT learn preferred routes - it learns about the routes you drive...
Waze FAQ wrote:The setting within the Dashboard page, "Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations" is misleading. Waze only learns your favorite destinations, but does not learn or store actual routes. It will pop-up with the "Are going home?" or "going to work?" messages for these frequented destinations.
Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions.
The reason just driving the expected or preferred route won't work automatically is because Waze could have incorrect speed data on the segments it wants you to take. If Waze thinks another road is 2x as fast as your preferred road, no amount of driving on your preferred road can change the data for the other road. Waze needs accurate data for all neighboring segments and routes in order to always compute the fastest (or shortest, depending on your app setting) route.
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bricot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:15 pm

vince1612 wrote:This feature already exists, it's called.. memory :roll:.
I mean, if you already know your route (very well too from what you wrote) and Waze doesn't, you simply don't need to use the navigation to destination feature. Just open the app and start driving.

You will still see the colored roads for traffic and warnings on your screen while you are freely driving on your preferred route.

Also this has been mentionned many times before. Please search before posting.
Why? Because keeping the discussion in one place makes it way easier for everyone to follow, and more effective than if there are 13 different small threads for 1 common issue. ;)

Vince

It would be helpful if you posted the link to the preferred thread - I've done the search and it isn't clear which thread would be best to post 'preferred routing' suggestions to.
bricot

Postby vince1612 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:33 pm

bricot wrote:It would be helpful if you posted the link to the preferred thread - I've done the search and it isn't clear which thread would be best to post 'preferred routing' suggestions to.

Sure, this was already suggested here and here just for this summer.
You should try various words as alternatives when looking for a topic (in this case it was also called "custom/planned" routes for example)

Each topic has already gotten its answer on this matter, which you can read in the links I posted.

On the topic of routing, there is also a similar one you may like to participate in here
[ img ]
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bricot » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Great, thanks for for the info!
bricot

Postby aellis5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:32 am

You know, on my old blackberry 10, if I use waze on that it drives my preferred route, even when I moved house it took a few days but still ended up doing my preferred route, now im on this horrible android device it constantly re-routes over and over every morning..... Yes I could use my memory but that's not going to re route me if there is a problem and waze needs to re-route me.

Funny coincidence maybe.... Just sayin.
aellis5

Postby vince1612 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Board index ‹ ! ATTENTION: READ HERE FIRST ! ‹ Posting Guidelines
Please avoid necro-posting. This thread is from 2015.

Thank you
[ img ]
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Waze App Feature Requests