Better support on multiple lane roads

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Better support on multiple lane roads

Postby lisafolb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:39 pm

1. Land Guidance - I recently used Waze for a long drive between multiple US States. When travelling in unfamiliar areas on unknown highways that split off in unpredictable ways, I would revert to my TomTom for lane guidance. Please consider adding this feature to Waze.

2. Zoom Out - When initiating a navigation Waze defaults to the first view/instruction. The only way to zoom out is to pinch and drag the map. The Automatic zoom feature fights this, and the maps rotates, and recenters, and gets very confused. A "zoom to route" button would be very useful to see the overview of the implemented route. Yes, you can see this by selecting Alternate Routes/Map; but if I don't go through the process of reviewing routes, I cannot see the overview.
lisafolb

Re: Feature Requests - lane guidance and zoom-out

Postby Riamus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Lane guidance has been recommended before and I'm sure it's being considered. It would, however, be quite an undertaking to accomplish. That being said, I agree that it is a very good thing to add.

Zooming out to see your entire route when you first select it can be useful, but Waze has a pretty limited max zoom level, so any long routes aren't going to display anyhow. As far as zooming out manually, don't bother with pinching. I agree that it doesn't work very well. Just tap the screen once and use the +/- buttons that appear. You can zoom very rapidly that way. Auto-zoom shouldn't fight anything unless you're driving. And you really shouldn't be playing with the map while driving. ;)
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Waze doesn't necessarily do specific lane guidance, but it definitely will tell you, if the map is properly maintained, that the next move is to either keep to the left or right. In that case, you the driver needs to be competent enough to know that because in .6 miles, you'll need to keep to the right, that you should not be staying in the left lane. If Waze doesn't do that in a specific place, then the map may need updating.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Riamus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

True, but that's kind of a pale imitation of lane guidance. It's good to know to keep left/right, but knowing whether that means to stay in the very right lane on a 6 lane highway or if it means you can stay in any of the 3 right lanes can be very useful. Many times, the roads are well marked with signs, but there have been times I've been on roads where you simply have no clear idea. Lane guidance is great for such situations. It also helps in cases where Waze or any other navigation app or device tells you to keep right or left only to find out that you don't have to do anything beyond not exiting on a new exit ramp. Just my opinion anyhow.
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Lane Closures

Postby loqutisss » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:35 am

on waze when when we press the report button we need the option to put in lane closures, as i drive the highway to work everyday, many times they close down some of the lanes and knowing that lanes have been closed down from 6 lanes to 2 would help me greatly. That way I could use another route to get to work, instead of seeing that there may be some traffic on my route but not knowing it is because of closing down 4 lanes. There is nothing more upsetting than sitting in traffic and finding out its because of construction and they closed down all the lanes except one.
loqutisss

Re: Lane Closures

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:18 pm

You can add a description to your reports. I routinely add things like "Left Lane Closed", "Right Two Lanes Closed", "Right Shoulder Closed" - and I have quick keys for all of them.
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby edg-R » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Any update on lane guidance? This is definitely a great feature.

I love Waze, and tend to stick to it. I recently tried out "other" navigation apps and was surprised to see it actually tell me which lanes I can actually be on to be able to take a ramp off a highway.
edg-R

Postby thelordsmurf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:49 pm

I agree though, there are a lot of quick options but a lane closure seems like a bigger deal than some of the other options.
I also don't like to mess with the GPS much while driving so I'd prefer to have it be really easy to report major obstructions. If it takes 2-3 steps then I feel like I might create the next reportable obstruction!
thelordsmurf

Postby ArtVictorP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:57 pm

thelordsmurf wrote:I agree though, there are a lot of quick options but a lane closure seems like a bigger deal than some of the other options.
I also don't like to mess with the GPS much while driving so I'd prefer to have it be really easy to report major obstructions. If it takes 2-3 steps then I feel like I might create the next reportable obstruction!

Or you could use the voice-command button to enter the description. :geek:
ArtVictorP
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:18 pm

ArtVictorP wrote:Or you could use the voice-command button to enter the description. :geek:

I do that quite often. Speech-to-Text is available on most phones today. Also, Waze allows you to record your actual voice and attaches it to a report (report must be started manually). That's a great way to get a lot of detail across quickly. I think people should use this more often.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests