Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby afl_64 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 am

KuniaKid wrote:
el__jefe wrote: It's a horrible addition, annoying and not helpful to anyone at all.

What are you, Republican? You don't speak for everyone. Especially me. I like the addition, and it is helpful to me.

The argument here should not be to remove the alert tone feature but rather to allow those for who it is not required/desirable, to disable or silence it. As an Uber driver I use Waze 8+ hours per day. After drop off, Waze remains in the background set to last address. As I drive on, the app alerts me incessantly of route changes. Yes I can kill the app, turn sound off or reset the destination - but do I really want/need to do this over 120 times per week? No. Do I want to use the app after drop off for speed camera/safety alerts? Yes. Should this be difficult to address as as programing task. Absolutely not! Just do it Waze - and soon, please!
afl_64

Postby angrygentlemen » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:07 am

For those who ask why anyone could possibly want to disable quite possibly the most annoying sound on earth - Waze does not understand HOV restrictions, and there are interstates in Northern Virginia and DC that are ONLY HOV in the morning and evenings (I-66 leading into and out of DC). What this means is that, if you are HOV eligible, and you set your destination in Waze, it flat out refuses to let you go that way, since there's no option to indicate you are legally allowed in those lanes, even if you drive that way every morning for years. Since the update, this means that Waze "recalculates", no exaggeration, 18-20 times on a given commute as you ignore each and every exit and alternative route it wants you to take while heading to the interstate in question, and even set to "Alerts Only" I still had to hear it over and over and over again. I've downgraded my app back to the prior version 3.x just for this reason. Why can this not be an option you can toggle, rather than a default setting? And, for the love of snacks, we can have 18 different voices to choose from but we cannot get a less grating sound to choose from than that annoying loud off-key CHIRP? Why?
angrygentlemen

Postby angrygentlemen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Since in the latest update other "alerts" are being made optional / toggles, can we please do the same thing for the reroute chime? Or will I and others similarly situated just be stuck on 3.9.6 forever? (I will NOT upgrade until this is fixed - I'd have to stop using the app entirely.)
angrygentlemen

Make reroute sound optional, especially in Alerts Only mode

Postby angrygentlemen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Since other alerts have been made optional/toggleable in the latest iOS releases (such as for hazards), please do the same for the "reroute" or "recalculating" chime, especially in "Alerts Only" mode. Since Waze does not understand HOV restrictions, hearing that noise two dozen times on each commute is incredibly irritating - I went back to using version 3.9.6 for that reason, and I know many others have as well.

That particular sound itself is like fingernails on a blackboard, especially over bluetooth, and it also plays much louder than any other noise Waze makes regardless of the volume setting.

I realize I could simply not use the navigation function, but it is useful to have an ETA to my destination once Waze finally realizes what route I am taking, and I do not want to have to choose my destination while traveling down the interstate at 65 MPH.

(Please see the existing longer post on the subject here: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166970)
angrygentlemen

Postby angrygentlemen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Is there some technical reason why this is impossible? Or am I and others who live in HOV-only-road areas just doomed to be stuck on ancient versions of the app forever?
angrygentlemen

Postby angrygentlemen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Is there some technical reason why this is so difficult to implement as a toggle option? And as for not understanding the use case - maybe you don't live in an area with HOV restrictions, where Waze does not understand that you can (or cannot) take a certain interstate at a certain time of day, and there's no way to currently tell it you can (there's no "I have 3 people in my car so I can HOV" option). I posted previously, but maybe if I make it shorter you'll understand - I don't want to have to turn on navigation for the second half of my journey (once I am on the interstate going 65 MPH) after I've made my way to the HOV-only interstate, which Waze doesn't know I am allowed to be on.

So my choices are:
1) Listen to that maddening "recalculate" sound 18 times between the start of my drive and when I get to the HOV-only interstate where navigation might actually be useful, if nothing else as an ETA guide; or
2) Try to enable navigation once I get on said HOV interstate and am already moving

Neither of these is an acceptable option to me. And I have to think DC/Northern Virginia is not the only place on the planet that has these types of roads and HOV restrictions. But even if we are - we are talking about a major capital city with millions of people in/near it.

Why is "mute recalculate alert" so difficult to implement as an option? Why do we need to debate for YEARS about something seemingly so simple that would make everyone happy?
angrygentlemen

Disable "Reroute" notification?

Postby AngryMitch1226 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi,

I am looking to find a way to disable my "Reroute" notification when I'm using Waze. I almost always drive with the app in "Alerts Only" mode, as my phone is out of sight when driving, so I like having the hazard/police/construction alerts.

I tried using the forum "search" for anyone that had this same question, but it referred to threads that were over a year old that were related to "activating" said noises when in Alerts-Only mode.

I would be willing to download a beta version of Waze with this functionality...

But, almost every day after I get off the highway, Waze gives me a new route to get to my house. As a result there are literally dozens of reroutes that happen between said highway and my house, which results in my radio being disrupted for multiple "reroute" notifications.

I really, really would like to turn off this reroute. I'm sure I could do "Mute All Sounds" - but then this means I'd also lose out on my alerts.

(The routes vary by probably less than 30 seconds after getting off the highway and probably depend more on whether or not you catch a traffic light rather than actual said traffic. My house is probably less than a 5 minute drive off of the highway through multiple residential neighborhoods so there is no shortage of different ways to get there.)
AngryMitch1226

Postby AngryMitch1226 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 pm

tonytx05 wrote:If you aren't using Waze for navigation instructions, just drive without a route selected. You will still get all the alerts that you do want.

But if I do this, I lose the functionality to send my friends/family my ETA. The ETA function is something I use every day on the way home from work.

There's also perpetual roadwork on my commute which results in me taking one of three ways home depending on closures for construction. I rely on my nav to keep me away from an extra 30 minutes sitting in bumper to bumper if I take the most direct route (which interestingly enough, sometimes, Waze doesn't seem to pick up on the road and lane closure)

I'm not suggesting that this be removed entirely; to each their own, some people seem to love it.

I'm just saying for me, personally, this feature is annoying.

As described above by others, the problem I have with this feature is that when I'm listening to music in the car, it's a loud, startling chirp which deactivates the music while the Bluetooth connects.

All I want is an option to "Disable Reroute Notifications" -- that's all.

As an iOS user, I don't think I have the ability to go in and change the specific mp3 files described above, or I would go through the process and do that.

I'm really hoping that a Disable option is available in a beta test or a future build. Just like someone suggested in this thread: what works for you doesn't work for everyone; likewise, don't force me to keep reroute chirps on.

If anyone has any suggestions which doesn't disable the ETA functionality and suppress the chirp, I would appreciate it.

In the meantime, I've stopped using "Bluetooth" for Waze and I have it just play out of the phone speaker. It's more annoying because it's harder to hear the alerts, but less "jarring" when it chirps.

Thanks.
AngryMitch1226

Postby atxPam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:07 am

Unless I can turn off this re-routing alert or have the option of selecting a different sound, I'm faced with discontinuing my use of Waze. I do a significant amount of driving and listen to nav instructions in a bluetooth earpiece. This chirp causes me physical pain when emitted straight into my ear.

If I turn my volume down low enough for this re-routing chirp not to be a problem, I can no longer hear the navigation voice clearly. This is probably due to some lower frequency hearing loss on my part.

I wonder how many others there could be in a similar situation. For app accessibility reasons, I hope Waze will consider either 1) the ability for the user to disable the re-routing chirp, OR 2) the ability to replace the chirp with a different sound selection.
atxPam

Option to Disable Navigation Beep in Alert Mode

Postby bigburgundytruck » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:52 pm

So the current version is great, aside from this annoying beep that happens every time the route changes in the Alert sound mode. Adding an option to disable the beep would be much appreciated.
bigburgundytruck

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests