Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby bricot » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:08 pm

I've done that, once I saw the add stop feature. It would just be less taps if it came up with a list of preferred routes. That does work though.
bricot

Postby HagbardCeline23 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:03 pm

OMG, that chirping is _so annoying_

Why must I hear it if I wish to rcv other alerts (police, accident) ?

Realize if I don't use navigation, this issue goes away, but I need to set a nav point so that I can quickly reroute if the traffic clogs and also get ETA notes.

If I stop at the store or take a new route, I don't want waze chirping at me interrupting my audio.

I seem to recall previous version of the app allowed fine control of which alerts I recieved. I would also love to turn off the car stopped on roadside alerts. Why don't I have better control of alerts? Current option is turn them all off or get useless interruptions because I missed a turn.

Totally.Annoying.
HagbardCeline23

Postby MeowXV » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:19 am

+1 on this annoying sound.
Use Waze only for police reporting or accident ahead.
I don't need to be alerted of re-routing.

I am using 3.9.8 on Android.
Which version was the last one that does not have this annoying sound?
MeowXV

Postby tonytx05 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:53 am

HagbardCeline23 wrote:Realize if I don't use navigation, this issue goes away, but I need to set a nav point so that I can quickly reroute if the traffic clogs and also get ETA notes.

How do you know when Waze reroutes without an alert?

HagbardCeline23 wrote:I seem to recall previous version of the app allowed fine control of which alerts I recieved. I would also love to turn off the car stopped on roadside alerts. Why don't I have better control of alerts? Current option is turn them all off or get useless interruptions because I missed a turn.

Waze has never had that kind of granularity in configuring the alerts. You can configure things that are shown on the map, disabling one of those disables alerts. For example, I hate the noise caused by road goodies so always leave those turned off.

Many others have asked for that kind of control over alerts and I agree it could be useful. Especially since I like the rerouting noise :).
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Deviation from planned route - turn off beep

Postby xerxesix » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Is there a way to turn off the annoying "recalculating" beep. I will frequently select a destination and Waze will determine the route but I may deviate from the selected route for small sections in the middle simply because of personal preferences. When I do that Waze obviously does a reroute to take the deviation into account.

When it does the reroute it makes an annoying beep. Is there any way to turn that beep off without turning off the other alerts.

An older version of Waze simply did the route recalc without the beep and it was great but this constant "complaining" about deviating is annoying.
xerxesix

Re: Deviation from planned route - turn off beep

Postby hmarian » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:06 pm

The sound on recalculating is played on both sound settings of 'Sound On' and 'Alerts only'.
If you want it off, you should turn your sound settings to 'Sound off'.
No other way to tweak that sound on route recalculation.

As this is not a North American issue, I will move this post to the Waze App forum.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8
Waze Version: 4.53.0.3
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby xerxesix » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks for your comments.

It seems therefore that my choices are either No sounds/alerts or live with the annoying chirp/beep on route changes. A bit unsatisfactory I would think as far as options go.
xerxesix

Postby Jay91150 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

All the people trying to make excuses for why the app is making noise when it shouldn't be don't get the point of the alerts only feature.

Waze, when set to 'alerts only', should only make noise when there is a traffic jam, police, object on the road, red light camera, or other items that are in balloons on the map. All other sounds should be muted.

I've been driving with Waze for 2-3 years now and it still hasn't figured out the most efficient routes to/from my work and home. Every day it suggests routes that I don't follow because they would add many kilometers and many minutes to my drive. Every time I refuse to turn off a 110km/h freeway onto a 60km/h road filled with traffic lights, Waze recalculates the route, and makes noise to tell me that. Route recalculation is not/should not be an alert.

Even if you take away the "alerts only/all sounds" debate, the route recalculation tone does not honor the mute status of the device the application is running on. If I have my phone (Samsung GS5 Active) on silent or vibrate-only, there will be absolutely no sounds coming out of it - except the stupid bloody chime from Waze recalculating routes.

Yeah, I've been told that some people asked for this chime to be audible when sounds except alerts are muted. Give them an option to turn it on. Give the rest of us the option to turn it OFF. It's not that difficult to code, obviously. The stubbornness of the admin in this particular situation is confusing. Why are you refusing to budge? Why are you willing to have people (including L5/CMs) stop using the app just to stop hearing this sound?
Jay91150

Postby El-Dan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:07 pm

I don't understand people who don't want a rerouting sound.

When you're navigating, Waze tells you the fastest route. So if you're not paying attention to your screen (which I often don't because I know the standard route) it's useful to hear a notification that the fastest route has changed.

Of course I agree with everybody that this (and many more things) should be a setting. But I just wanted to voice my opposition on this matter.
El-Dan

Postby atxPam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:07 am

Unless I can turn off this re-routing alert or have the option of selecting a different sound, I'm faced with discontinuing my use of Waze. I do a significant amount of driving and listen to nav instructions in a bluetooth earpiece. This chirp causes me physical pain when emitted straight into my ear.

If I turn my volume down low enough for this re-routing chirp not to be a problem, I can no longer hear the navigation voice clearly. This is probably due to some lower frequency hearing loss on my part.

I wonder how many others there could be in a similar situation. For app accessibility reasons, I hope Waze will consider either 1) the ability for the user to disable the re-routing chirp, OR 2) the ability to replace the chirp with a different sound selection.
atxPam

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests