Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby ItsMegz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:38 pm

I've just begun using Waze and not only do I passionately hate the "chirp" it makes when changing routes (I only figured out why the "chirp" was happening after a few times), but it is extremely startling and may cause me to stop using the app after only trying it a few times. The first time that "chirp" happened, I was so petrified at the loud, alarming sound that came out of my phone that I nearly rear-ended another vehicle because the noise was so alarming that my automatic reaction was to look to my phone to figure out what the emergency was. To be fair, I do startle pretty easily by noises, but this noise is beyond acceptable. Why doesn't the voice say "Changing Route" or something else that equally lets you know what is actually happening? I couldn't find anything within the app to let me know what different alerts mean, so how was I supposed to know to expect this? Also, the chirp is significantly louder than the other sounds coming out of the app - had it been the same volume level I would have been less startled and it may not have seemed like an emergency.
I agree with others that we should have control over which alerts we want to receive, because I would definitely turn this off unless it is changed to be more helpful and less alarming. Turning off all sounds is not an option because the verbal traffic notifications are the reason I downloaded the app. It is no use to me otherwise because my other map option does all other jobs very well.
ItsMegz

Postby ukcats69 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:52 pm

It took me a while searching through the forums until I found this thread, but now I'm here and happy to know that others besides me are annoyed by the chirp! I've got Waze set to Alerts Only and have my iPhone connected through Bluetooth in my car. The problem arises before I've even left the subdivision where I live. Waze suggests that I take a slightly longer way out to the main road, but when I don't turn where directed my radio/music is interrupted as Waze chirps to let me know I've strayed from the suggested route. This happens at least 2 more times before I get to the main road, and each interruption lasts 3-4 seconds as Waze opens the Bluetooth communication and then shuts it back down. I still want to get alerts (such as police, object on road, etc.), but PLEASE provide an option for disabling this annoying chirp!! I'm usually quick to install a new Waze app update when it's released, but had I known I'd be getting the chirp then I definitely would've stayed on a previous version.
ukcats69

Option to Disable Navigation Beep in Alert Mode

Postby bigburgundytruck » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:52 pm

So the current version is great, aside from this annoying beep that happens every time the route changes in the Alert sound mode. Adding an option to disable the beep would be much appreciated.
bigburgundytruck

Postby angrygentlemen » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:07 am

For those who ask why anyone could possibly want to disable quite possibly the most annoying sound on earth - Waze does not understand HOV restrictions, and there are interstates in Northern Virginia and DC that are ONLY HOV in the morning and evenings (I-66 leading into and out of DC). What this means is that, if you are HOV eligible, and you set your destination in Waze, it flat out refuses to let you go that way, since there's no option to indicate you are legally allowed in those lanes, even if you drive that way every morning for years. Since the update, this means that Waze "recalculates", no exaggeration, 18-20 times on a given commute as you ignore each and every exit and alternative route it wants you to take while heading to the interstate in question, and even set to "Alerts Only" I still had to hear it over and over and over again. I've downgraded my app back to the prior version 3.x just for this reason. Why can this not be an option you can toggle, rather than a default setting? And, for the love of snacks, we can have 18 different voices to choose from but we cannot get a less grating sound to choose from than that annoying loud off-key CHIRP? Why?
angrygentlemen

Postby CoooolRaoul » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:20 am

A workaround could have been to be able "patch" the corresponding sound file. So I've tried to locate it in the purpose of replacing it but without success. I hoped to find it in "/waze/sound/common" folder which contains some files like "speed_limit.mp3" but it doesn't seem to be there.

NB: I'm on Android, this may does not apply to others platforms
Last edited by CoooolRaoul on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoooolRaoul

Postby CoooolRaoul » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:28 am

El-Dan wrote:I don't understand people who don't want a rerouting sound.

AFAIC, I'm not *against* it, I simply find it way too loud (why having made much louder that over speed limit alerts for instance?)
CoooolRaoul

Disable "Reroute" notification?

Postby AngryMitch1226 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi,

I am looking to find a way to disable my "Reroute" notification when I'm using Waze. I almost always drive with the app in "Alerts Only" mode, as my phone is out of sight when driving, so I like having the hazard/police/construction alerts.

I tried using the forum "search" for anyone that had this same question, but it referred to threads that were over a year old that were related to "activating" said noises when in Alerts-Only mode.

I would be willing to download a beta version of Waze with this functionality...

But, almost every day after I get off the highway, Waze gives me a new route to get to my house. As a result there are literally dozens of reroutes that happen between said highway and my house, which results in my radio being disrupted for multiple "reroute" notifications.

I really, really would like to turn off this reroute. I'm sure I could do "Mute All Sounds" - but then this means I'd also lose out on my alerts.

(The routes vary by probably less than 30 seconds after getting off the highway and probably depend more on whether or not you catch a traffic light rather than actual said traffic. My house is probably less than a 5 minute drive off of the highway through multiple residential neighborhoods so there is no shortage of different ways to get there.)
AngryMitch1226

Postby tonytx05 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:56 pm

AngryMitch1226 wrote:Hi,

I am looking to find a way to disable my "Reroute" notification when I'm using Waze. I almost always drive with the app in "Alerts Only" mode, as my phone is out of sight when driving, so I like having the hazard/police/construction alerts.

I tried using the forum "search" for anyone that had this same question, but it referred to threads that were over a year old that were related to "activating" said noises when in Alerts-Only mode.

I would be willing to download a beta version of Waze with this functionality...

But, almost every day after I get off the highway, Waze gives me a new route to get to my house. As a result there are literally dozens of reroutes that happen between said highway and my house, which results in my radio being disrupted for multiple "reroute" notifications.

I really, really would like to turn off this reroute. I'm sure I could do "Mute All Sounds" - but then this means I'd also lose out on my alerts.

(The routes vary by probably less than 30 seconds after getting off the highway and probably depend more on whether or not you catch a traffic light rather than actual said traffic. My house is probably less than a 5 minute drive off of the highway through multiple residential neighborhoods so there is no shortage of different ways to get there.)

If you aren't using Waze for navigation instructions, just drive without a route selected. You will still get all the alerts that you do want.
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby SwenVandenberk » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

CoooolRaoul wrote:A workaround could have been to be able "patch" the corresponding sound file. So I've tried to locate it in the purpose of replacing it but without success. I hoped to find it in "/waze/sound/common" folder which contains some files like "speed_limit.mp3" but it doesn't seem to be there.

NB: I'm on Android, this may does not apply to others platforms

I think it's the file TickerPoints.mp3 in the waze/sound/eng folder (Android). At least that file sounds like it. I don't know if that file is actually used during a reroute though.
CM Belgium
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
BENELUX Routing Team
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CoooolRaoul » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:46 pm

SwenVandenberk wrote:I think it's the file TickerPoints.mp3 in the waze/sound/eng folder (Android). At least that file sounds like it. I don't know if that file is actually used during a reroute though.

Well found!
I've simply renamed that file and it worked! No more annoying sound for route updates.
Maybe a better option would be to replace it with another audio file, softer.
Thanks.
CoooolRaoul

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests