Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby SwenVandenberk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:50 am

in the directory where you were looking, there's a sound file called silence.mp3. You could copy that to the eng directory and rename it to TickerPoints.mp3

that might also avoid that you have to redo this after an update.
CM Belgium
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
BENELUX Routing Team
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AngryMitch1226 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 pm

tonytx05 wrote:If you aren't using Waze for navigation instructions, just drive without a route selected. You will still get all the alerts that you do want.

But if I do this, I lose the functionality to send my friends/family my ETA. The ETA function is something I use every day on the way home from work.

There's also perpetual roadwork on my commute which results in me taking one of three ways home depending on closures for construction. I rely on my nav to keep me away from an extra 30 minutes sitting in bumper to bumper if I take the most direct route (which interestingly enough, sometimes, Waze doesn't seem to pick up on the road and lane closure)

I'm not suggesting that this be removed entirely; to each their own, some people seem to love it.

I'm just saying for me, personally, this feature is annoying.

As described above by others, the problem I have with this feature is that when I'm listening to music in the car, it's a loud, startling chirp which deactivates the music while the Bluetooth connects.

All I want is an option to "Disable Reroute Notifications" -- that's all.

As an iOS user, I don't think I have the ability to go in and change the specific mp3 files described above, or I would go through the process and do that.

I'm really hoping that a Disable option is available in a beta test or a future build. Just like someone suggested in this thread: what works for you doesn't work for everyone; likewise, don't force me to keep reroute chirps on.

If anyone has any suggestions which doesn't disable the ETA functionality and suppress the chirp, I would appreciate it.

In the meantime, I've stopped using "Bluetooth" for Waze and I have it just play out of the phone speaker. It's more annoying because it's harder to hear the alerts, but less "jarring" when it chirps.

Thanks.
AngryMitch1226

Postby gatya64 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

+1 on the option to "Disable Reroute Notifications"
gatya64

Postby gatya64 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:21 pm

CoooolRaoul wrote:
SwenVandenberk wrote:I think it's the file TickerPoints.mp3 in the waze/sound/eng folder (Android). At least that file sounds like it. I don't know if that file is actually used during a reroute though.

Well found!
I've simply renamed that file and it worked! No more annoying sound for route updates.
Maybe a better option would be to replace it with another audio file, softer.
Thanks.

This didn't work for me :(

I renamed TickerPoints.mp3 in all the sub-folders of waze/sound and it still chirps - it must be caching it somewhere else.
gatya64

Postby gatya64 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Btw. I'm having a hard time following the logic of the chirp being beneficial in "Alert Only" mode. Isn't the purpose of Alert Only that you are keeping an eye on your route (I have my phone mounted on my dash) and keep an eye on the navigation instructions without audibles?
gatya64

Postby tonytx05 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:08 pm

gatya64 wrote:Btw. I'm having a hard time following the logic of the chirp being beneficial in "Alert Only" mode. Isn't the purpose of Alert Only that you are keeping an eye on your route (I have my phone mounted on my dash) and keep an eye on the navigation instructions without audibles?

It's useful for me when I'm following a route I know well, and Waze reroutes because of traffic. The alert lets me know I need to see what's changed.
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby angrygentlemen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Since in the latest update other "alerts" are being made optional / toggles, can we please do the same thing for the reroute chime? Or will I and others similarly situated just be stuck on 3.9.6 forever? (I will NOT upgrade until this is fixed - I'd have to stop using the app entirely.)
angrygentlemen

Make reroute sound optional, especially in Alerts Only mode

Postby angrygentlemen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Since other alerts have been made optional/toggleable in the latest iOS releases (such as for hazards), please do the same for the "reroute" or "recalculating" chime, especially in "Alerts Only" mode. Since Waze does not understand HOV restrictions, hearing that noise two dozen times on each commute is incredibly irritating - I went back to using version 3.9.6 for that reason, and I know many others have as well.

That particular sound itself is like fingernails on a blackboard, especially over bluetooth, and it also plays much louder than any other noise Waze makes regardless of the volume setting.

I realize I could simply not use the navigation function, but it is useful to have an ETA to my destination once Waze finally realizes what route I am taking, and I do not want to have to choose my destination while traveling down the interstate at 65 MPH.

(Please see the existing longer post on the subject here: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166970)
angrygentlemen

Postby dopey2244 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:06 am

Are there any solutions to this?
I constantly have been getting 'route change' updates every 2 mins over the last hour and it is driving me up the wall.
I have had to pull over in the middle of no where to try and Google this and came across this thread.

It's nice to have for the first time, but there should be an 'acknowledge' button to mute this route change until you approach the area where the route change is.
I am getting this route change notification 300kms before I even get there and it's quite bothersome!!!!
dopey2244

Postby angrygentlemen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Is there some technical reason why this is impossible? Or am I and others who live in HOV-only-road areas just doomed to be stuck on ancient versions of the app forever?
angrygentlemen

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests