Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby MattyWazr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:51 am

+1 on the option to "Disable Reroute Notifications"

However, there are 3 different conceptual route-changes in my mind:

1) I have decided to take a different route. In this case, Waze chirps a bunch of times, usually telling me to make a U-turn the first few times.

2) I am not yet moving from my original destination and Waze has no idea which way I'm going. In this case, Waze will guess (wrongly) a few times and chirp everytime it thinks I'm switching between going North/South, etc.

3) Waze has determined that the route I am presently on will be slower than an upcoming alternative, and re-routes me accordingly

For me, ONLY case 3 is useful for a chirp. I don't want to hear that I've deviated in case 1 when I know I have deviated. I don't want to hear chirps in case 2 when Waze is not yet able to determine my direction.
MattyWazr

Postby SpineDoc7 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:15 pm

I'm curious how the heck this thread is over a year old, but hasn't been acted on. My ears are bleeding from this stupid sound. I'd like to enable waze over Bluetooth, but that would really blow out my ears. Can we just have a toggle please?!?!?!??!!??
SpineDoc7

Postby vince1612 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:42 pm

SpineDoc7 wrote:I'm curious how the heck this thread is over a year old, but hasn't been acted on. My ears are bleeding from this stupid sound. I'd like to enable waze over Bluetooth, but that would really blow out my ears. Can we just have a toggle please?!?!?!??!!??

That is because staff doesn't read this section, as explained in the guidelines found in the red box above they only check the suggestion box. People can post as many messages here, it won't change a thing unless people vote for a toggle in the suggestion box.

Currently there are two items requesting this with 34 and 36 votes only.

https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... uery=chirp
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jay91150 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:07 am

vince1612 wrote:
SpineDoc7 wrote:I'm curious how the heck this thread is over a year old, but hasn't been acted on. My ears are bleeding from this stupid sound. I'd like to enable waze over Bluetooth, but that would really blow out my ears. Can we just have a toggle please?!?!?!??!!??

That is because staff doesn't read this section, as explained in the guidelines found in the red box above they only check the suggestion box. People can post as many messages here, it won't change a thing unless people vote for a toggle in the suggestion box.

Currently there are two items requesting this with 34 and 36 votes only.

https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... uery=chirp

As one of the people who raised this issue, I should point out that people have raised this in the "suggestion box" and bug tracker, multiple times, and it keeps getting closed with comments from staff that might as well have said 'get lost'. I was a level 5 country editor when I got that treatment on this very issue, and I have quit using Waze entirely over it. You and/or others keep trying to convince people that it's their fault that this bug still exists in the app. People have brought this to 'staff's' attention, and they have been completely ignored. Stop trying to put the blame on the (former) users begging for this to be made optional and being told to go away.
Jay91150

Postby vince1612 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:13 am

Jay91150 wrote:As one of the people who raised this issue, I should point out that people have raised this in the "suggestion box" and bug tracker, multiple times, and it keeps getting closed with comments from staff that might as well have said 'get lost'. I was a level 5 country editor when I got that treatment on this very issue, and I have quit using Waze entirely over it. You and/or others keep trying to convince people that it's their fault that this bug still exists in the app. People have brought this to 'staff's' attention, and they have been completely ignored. Stop trying to put the blame on the (former) users begging for this to be made optional and being told to go away.

In fact this "feature" had been previously requested by users which is why it was added in the first place, as soon as it was other people started complaining about it. Which is why what should be requested now is a toggle, like SpineDoc7 suggested.

I'm sorry that you felt hurt from any previous Waze staff responses but don't take your frustration out on me or any other Champ as if we had been the ones giving you these answers.
The reality of things is that we would gladly change things if we could, but we are users like you and simply cannot. The biggest mistake people make is to think that Staff cares about your status, they don't. You could be a level 1 editor, baby Wazer, Level 6 Global Champ, King Wazer or a level 5 Country Manager like you mention, it makes no difference as long as they don't see numbers asking for the same thing.

If people think that posting here where only the community reads messages will make more difference they are wrong and that is easy to see with how many threads have been open for years now.
So whether you agree or not is irrelevant, the best way to try to get something changed remains to bug staff about it, where they read things (and continue to do so even if they close things until they eventually change their minds) and not by posting to the community on the forums because there is nothing we can do about it and it will certainly not make a difference.
[ img ]
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby chillylamb22 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm blown away that they haven't changed this. I was actually banned from using Waze on our trips, because that horrible sound would wake my wife and child while driving. I came back to this thread to check in on the progress, but I guess it's still Google Maps for me.
chillylamb22

Postby vince1612 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 pm

This noise only comes if you don't follow the suggested route.

I'm blown away that people enable routing navigation if they don't intend to use it, follow what it says or stay on course. If you have no use for navigation mode then don't turn it on! It should be as simple to understand as also considering to maybe lower the app's volume settings if others people have such sensitive ears. But again you don't even need to lower it, just drive where you want without navigation turned on and you won't have this problem!
[ img ]
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby angrygentlemen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Is there some technical reason why this is so difficult to implement as a toggle option? And as for not understanding the use case - maybe you don't live in an area with HOV restrictions, where Waze does not understand that you can (or cannot) take a certain interstate at a certain time of day, and there's no way to currently tell it you can (there's no "I have 3 people in my car so I can HOV" option). I posted previously, but maybe if I make it shorter you'll understand - I don't want to have to turn on navigation for the second half of my journey (once I am on the interstate going 65 MPH) after I've made my way to the HOV-only interstate, which Waze doesn't know I am allowed to be on.

So my choices are:
1) Listen to that maddening "recalculate" sound 18 times between the start of my drive and when I get to the HOV-only interstate where navigation might actually be useful, if nothing else as an ETA guide; or
2) Try to enable navigation once I get on said HOV interstate and am already moving

Neither of these is an acceptable option to me. And I have to think DC/Northern Virginia is not the only place on the planet that has these types of roads and HOV restrictions. But even if we are - we are talking about a major capital city with millions of people in/near it.

Why is "mute recalculate alert" so difficult to implement as an option? Why do we need to debate for YEARS about something seemingly so simple that would make everyone happy?
angrygentlemen

Postby textodd11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 pm

+1 on the ability to disable this. There are MANY reasons to deviate from the suggested route but not want to deviate from the entire navigation. Deciding to stop for something along the way is one. Taking an alternative route in a neighborhood because Waze is notoriously bad at knowing the best route in and out of neighborhoods/side streets is another. However, I still want to know what things look like on my route once I get on the highway. Why do I need to hear the INCREDIBLY loud chirp at every intersection? Yes, as has also been said, it is MUCH louder than other notifications for some odd reason. I have voted. Hopefully, they get this changed and simply give the option to turn that notification on or off. It's really not a lot to ask.
textodd11

Postby djg_21 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 am

gatya64 wrote:Btw. I'm having a hard time following the logic of the chirp being beneficial in "Alert Only" mode. Isn't the purpose of Alert Only that you are keeping an eye on your route (I have my phone mounted on my dash) and keep an eye on the navigation instructions without audibles?

I agree. I almost never use Waze for navigation. My truck already is equipped with a GPS/Nav system that provides traffic warnings. I run Waze in conjunction with my radar detector for the purpose of speed trap avoidance. The chirping for route calculation drives me nuts on my daily commutes when Waze automatically starts navigating. More bothersome is that it interrupts my audio when it broadcasts through my audio system via Bluetooth. I usually try to run Waze without having the routing turned on. But I do like hearing alerts along my route. Get rid of the re-routing signal, or at least let us mute it in "Alerts only" mode.
djg_21

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests