Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby vince1612 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 pm

move_over_please wrote:I agree. I almost never use Waze for navigation. My truck already is equipped with a GPS/Nav system that provides traffic warnings. I run Waze in conjunction with my radar detector for the purpose of speed trap avoidance.

Sounds to me like you could just open Waze and not input any destination. Since you don't use it for navigation then don't start navigation on it. If you drive with the app open you will still get road alerts.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

Postby djg_21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:19 am

This is what I do most of the time. I have Waze set to give me alerts on my route, so sometimes I leave it on. It never wants to go the route which I drive, and which is the fastest (non-highway, but no traffic) and constantly recalculates and gives me the chirps. It also starts navigating my commute automatically. An option to turn the chirps off would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by djg_21 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djg_21

Postby vince1612 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 am

I still (personally) have a very hard time to understand why people who know in advance they won't use/follow navigation insist to have it ON. By doing that you are creating the very issue that you're complaining about for yourself. Not to mention the fact that if there is a hazard straight ahead of you and that's where you aim to go, but that navigation wanted you to take a right/left turn before reaching it, you wouldn't be alerted because it would assume the hazard is not on your route, so there is really no benefits.

Starting Waze up and making sure navigation is OFF (no purple line to follow) will still allow you to hear alerts ahead of you and you will not be bothered by the app trying to warn you that you've gone off the suggested route.
You can cancel the auto-start to your usual destinations manually when you open the app, but you can also turn that off altogether by going to https://www.waze.com/dashboard and by un-checking the box that says "Allow auto-suggestions for destinations" at the top right.

To end, the right place to make the request for a change is not by posting here, which is only a discussion forum for community members, but by up-voting similar requests in the suggestions box, which is monitored by staff and is the only place they will see/read suggestions:
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... uery=chirp
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Annoying chirp in

Postby SwenVandenberk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm

move_over_please wrote:This is what I do most of the time. I have Waze set to give me alerts on my route, so sometimes I leave it on. It never wants to go the route which I drive, and which is the fastest (non-highway, but no traffic) and constantly recalculates and gives me the chirps. It also starts navigating my commute automatically. An option to turn the chirps off would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe drive that other route a few times on days where you're not in hurry to reach your destination. It might even be faster than you think. Or in the other case, Waze might learn that it's indeed not faster and stops suggesting it.

If you never follow that route, there's no need to activate route navigation, you'll still get the alerts that are ahead of you.

Alternatively, add a stop point at a strategic location so you do get the route you want to take. If you add it to your favorites, it's just a few clicks extra and you won't get the annoying chirps.
CM Belgium
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
BENELUX Routing Team
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CoooolRaoul » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:53 am

vince1612 wrote:I still (personally) have a very hard time to understand why people who know in advance they won't use/follow navigation insist to have it ON.

I'm one of those people.
I mainly use Waze for getting routing optimization regarding traffic. For this to be effective routing *has* to be on.
Unfortunately, on my daily (home <-> work) routes, there are few segments were I systematically don't follow Waze routing recommandations on purpose. For the remainder of the trip I choose computed route.
That's why many times per trip I have to bear that really annoying sound. :cry:
Hope that will help to understand my point.

NB: there is another issue, possibly specific to Android version of the app, in this area: it seem that Waze notification sound are routed on the "media" stream instead if the "notification" stream. If it were correctly implemented, a possible workaround would be to adjust respective volume levels separately.

vince1612 wrote:To end, the right place to make the request for a change is not by posting here, which is only a discussion forum for community members, but by up-voting similar requests in the suggestions box, which is monitored by staff and is the only place they will see/read suggestions:
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... uery=chirp

I'm pretty sure that's useless too: just compare the number of pending suggestions to the amount of those which have been taken into account:
[ img ]
[ img ]
CoooolRaoul

Postby afl_64 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 am

KuniaKid wrote:
el__jefe wrote: It's a horrible addition, annoying and not helpful to anyone at all.

What are you, Republican? You don't speak for everyone. Especially me. I like the addition, and it is helpful to me.

The argument here should not be to remove the alert tone feature but rather to allow those for who it is not required/desirable, to disable or silence it. As an Uber driver I use Waze 8+ hours per day. After drop off, Waze remains in the background set to last address. As I drive on, the app alerts me incessantly of route changes. Yes I can kill the app, turn sound off or reset the destination - but do I really want/need to do this over 120 times per week? No. Do I want to use the app after drop off for speed camera/safety alerts? Yes. Should this be difficult to address as as programing task. Absolutely not! Just do it Waze - and soon, please!
afl_64

Off Route Buzz/Noise

Postby LawyerTom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 pm

If I elect to go off-route selected by Waze, there is a truly obnoxious buzz to tell me that I am no longer following the recommended route. Is it possible to a) turn this off, or b) change the noise from the obnoxious buzz to something more pleasant? BTW. Studies of fighter pilots have found that a female warning voice is the most perceived warning that can be given, even in a very high stress environment. It would seem reasonable that the obnoxious buzz be replaced, or at least an option to change it be provided. Thank you.

LawyerTom
LawyerTom

Previous

Return to Waze App Feature Requests