Auto select second fastest route if it's really shorter

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Auto select second fastest route if it's really shorter

Postby piem14b » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Hello,

This is my first post here. :D
I tried to look for a similar request but could not find any.
So here is my issue. My usual route is 25 kilometers in 30 minutes. Time is money ;) so my basic routing preference is to drive the fastest way to my destination. However I think Waze is always selects the really fastest way to my destination. Even if it is only 10 secods faster but 5 kilometers longer, it selects that route automatically. Today I usually check the recommended routes and select sometimes the second fastest because of saving fuel/money. My idea is to implement a feature which would allow the user to set some tolerance in the application which would tell Waze which route it should select automatically. So an option like this.
- To save 10% time you are willing to drive 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 200, unlimited percent longer route.

Example:
Going to work from home waze recommends fastest route 35 km long, 30 minutes.
Second fastest route is 25 km, 33 minutes.
In this case second fastest route needs 10% (33/30) more time than fastest route, but fastest route is 40% (35/25) longer than the second fastest route.
If this setting for the user is 5,10,15,20 or 30 then Waze would select second fastest route.
If this setting for the user is 40 or above then Waze would select the fastest route.

I hope you understand the logic. It would be really nice to have this option.

Best regards,
piem14b
piem14b

Re: Auto select second fastest route if it's really shorter

Postby SPARTACUS454 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I second this suggestion. I always have Waze set to fastest time which makes sense for the most part. My commute to work is short, 20 minutes, and it is a nice back roads drive through a couple neighboring towns. I have the option of taking the highway but it rarely saves me any real time (1-2 minutes) and I prefer to avoid the highway if at all possible. The idea of a tolerance level for highway driving appeals to me. As the original poster does, I check the alternate routes any time Waze suggests the highway route. It is rarely a time savings of more than a minute and it's a couple miles longer. I'd love to be able to tell Waze that I prefer the non-highway route as long as the time loss is no more than 5 minutes, or 25% of that commute. Maybe this could be set at the route level where you can say you prefer a particular route to and from a certain place. Then you could set the time value in non-percentage terms and it wouldn't apply globally. Anyway, great idea piem14b.
SPARTACUS454

Re: Auto select second fastest route if it's really shorter

Postby vince1612 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. This suggestion won't be considered unless you follow the guidelines at the top which explain how to make it visible to Waze staff.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Waze App Feature Requests