Change alert distance

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Suggestion. Lengthen alert distance

Postby p7p7p3t3 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:55 am

I noticed that the alert distance has been reduced to .2 of a mile. This is much to short at highway speeds and should be extended to at least .5 of a mile to .75 of a mile to give drivers the appropriate time and space to adjust to the whatever situation has been reported ahead.
p7p7p3t3

Re: Suggestion. Lengthen alert distance

Postby p7p7p3t3 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I apologize for not being clear. I am referring to hazard reports such as stopped vehicles, traffic, and or Police. Alerts used to be 1 mile but recently they have been reduced to .2 of a mile which is a bit short. A half to three quarters of a mile would work much better and make for a safer drive.
p7p7p3t3

Postby petervdveen » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Normaly there are 3 spoken messages.
I think it's at 1km, 400m and 50m.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Custom alerts distance

Postby pipinos1976 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Can you implement custom alerts that can be user selected? The same thing we do by editting the settings file, but to be implemented in the program, so we can choose not only what we want to be informed for but at what distance too.

Let's say there is police reported. I want to know where the police is at least 2000m before in order to avoid new laser guns with speed acquisition distance of 1500m (sometimes even further).

Let's say there is a stopped vehicle on the road. I want an alert about 1000m before that, but I want only 500m on a speed camera.

Thnx for your time.
pipinos1976

Re: Police warning distance.

Postby pipinos1976 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm

I opened a similar topic but I write here too. We need custom alerts, not only increased distance. In Greece we have Traffipatrol XR lidars that can clock you up to 1500m (almost 1mi). Having alerts of 400 or 500m is useless. On the other hand having alerts of 1mi for speed cams is useless too.

It's terryfing how the authorities have taken control over all the navigation apps all over the world. Since 2010 almost all the programs have alerts up to 1000m or offer their own database (annual fees) that is not usefull since it has ghost cameras or old pois.
pipinos1976

Postby pipinos1976 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:02 pm

wrxnh wrote:
pipinos1976 wrote:I opened a similar topic but I write here too. We need custom alerts, not only increased distance. In Greece we have Traffipatrol XR lidars that can clock you up to 1500m (almost 1mi).

Is LIDAR jamming legal in Greece?

No way. RDs illegal. Jammers too. That's why we need alerts from other users.

SpeedWade wrote:The warning distance should vary depending on whether the police is STATIONARY or MOVING, which would be a lot more valuable information than HIDDEN vs VISIBLE.

Multiply the speed limit on that stretch by the # of minutes since the LEO was reported and adjust the warning distance accordingly.

When that distance exceeds 5 miles, delete the report.

When I'm behind a police car (who is gradually pulling ahead, of course) I have no idea whether to report it, report it every 5 minutes, or how to give oncoming WAZERS any warning.

That's useful too. Hidden or visible is a good info too cause we have to know if it's 100% sure that we'll see the speed trap or not.

mweb123 wrote:Allowing wazers to choose a greater distance would allow them to drive with notice of what is upcoming...rather then acting hastily within a short range. Many apps have provided this information before, with members choosing their desired distance of notifications. This information is public record, it's not illegal to post and share. News/Radio do it all the time. It's a traffic suggestion.

Options between a 1/4mile and 1mile, would provide adequate notice to all drivers...anything less is just pandering to you know who!!!

I would suggest to give voice alerts at greater distances, such as 1 and 2 miles, as speed traps using lidars in Greece will clock you from 1mi (Traffipatrol XR clocks according to the manual at 1500m but in reality way over 1mi) and visual alerts up to 3-4mi.
pipinos1976

Postby pipinos1976 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:03 pm

At least it's legal to have gps navigation with pois to avoid cameras and speed traps, while it's illegal to do so in Germany. That's one country that things are worse than Greece in this field.
pipinos1976

Postby rbairwell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Or could they be timed based? If the problem is 1 mile away and you are going 60 miles per hour, it'll give you notification 60 seconds before you encounter it (1 mile away): if you are going 30 mph, then it'll give you notification 60 seconds before you encounter it (0.5 mile away), if you are a speed hog and are going a naughty 120 mph, then it'll give the notification when you are 2 miles away: so you always get it 60 seconds before you encounter it.
rbairwell

Postby riffraf » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:35 pm

This .2 mile alert situation has been a problem for almost one month now. This is very disappointing.

Does anyone know if there is any plan to fix it soon?

It should be at least 1 mile, or, as others have suggested, user configurable. But as is, it's both useless and dangerous.
riffraf

Postby riffraf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:17 pm

It's really a shame about the alert distances being so short. Instead of being a useful feature, it has been reduced to an annoying bug. A 3/10 or 4/10 of a mile warning about hidden police is barely enough time for me to smile before we're face to face. As for hazards on the road? Instead of being able to slow down, look, and avoid them, we have just about enough time to tense up for the thunk.

Another month and a few revs go by without comment from the developer. Does anyone know what they're thinking? As much fun as Elvis is, I'd trade him back in for adequate distance warnings in a New York minute.
riffraf

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests