Highway Ramp Closure QOL Improvements Desperately Needed

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Highway Ramp Closure QOL Improvements Desperately Needed

Postby AutoDMC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 pm

New post because the old thread is way old (started in 2014) and the feature request needs some attention and TLC.

Suggestion Box: https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... rks-and-ra
Old Forum Post: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... losed+ramp

Highway 290 is my route to work and it's been under construction for about a forever and a half. This morning was the last straw, however, as I got crammed onto a one-lane frontage road with everyone else in Houston because Waze didn't know that the specific ramp it wanted me to take was closed, and I was unable to flag it as closed.

Excellent suggestions have included shifting the arrows further on the ramp so you can click them without overlapping, and adding a "Ramp Closed?" question alert if you drive past a routed on or off ramp.

Not only does the current UI make it nearly impossible to close a ramp on the fly (therefore decreasing the utility of the application as a whole as people keep getting routed to a closed ramp), but it's also currently very dangerous to even attempt to close a ramp, because the UI is tiny and frustrating at the very moment when the driver is flustered by a change in plans and having to cope with every other driver cramming into the alternate route. As such, I think people have just given up even trying to flag closed ramps.

The takeaway here is: generally unviable alternative routes become extremely viable when a ramp is closed but by the time the driver gets to the closed ramp all alternatives are off the table. If I know that my ramp on 290 is closed, I can take 10 which adds five minutes to my route (because I have to drive the complete opposite direction from my destination to take 10) but will still get me to my destination on time. However, by the time I've driven all the way up to 290, the 10 option is closed, and I'm simply stuck in traffic, the very situation Waze is supposed to help me avoid.
AutoDMC

Re: Highway Ramp Closure QOL Improvements Desperately Needed

Postby kahlcolimon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:17 am

Dear friend, I speak in their own name (not waze). I think the problem mentioned is local so I suggest publish this case in the US forum for the community of your country involved the site.
Kahl Colimon
Waze Colombia Coordinator
Waze Local Champ/Country Manager
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

[ img ][ img ]
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby vince1612 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:44 pm

kahlcolimon wrote:Dear friend, I speak in their own name (not waze). I think the problem mentioned is local so I suggest publish this case in the US forum for the community of your country involved the site.

He followed exactly what the guidelines suggested to do and therefor this is a perfect post and suggestion. He linked a suggestion box URL to vote for "Improve ability to report closures on forks and ramps" which can apply everywhere, not only the US. He used a local problem as an example, that doesn't mean he cannot post this suggestion here.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kahlcolimon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 pm

vince1612 wrote:
kahlcolimon wrote:Dear friend, I speak in their own name (not waze). I think the problem mentioned is local so I suggest publish this case in the US forum for the community of your country involved the site.

He followed exactly what the guidelines suggested to do and therefor this is a perfect post and suggestion. He linked a suggestion box URL to vote for "Improve ability to report closures on forks and ramps" which can apply everywhere, not only the US. He used a local problem as an example, that doesn't mean he cannot post this suggestion here.

It's just a suggestion. It is not imposed. I specified this from the beginning. :roll:

Thanks, as always
Kahl Colimon
Waze Colombia Coordinator
Waze Local Champ/Country Manager
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

[ img ][ img ]
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby DavidQuaedvlieg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I had the same Idea. Closing roads while driving is impossible. It would be nice that Waze showed an alert when driving by a ramp or street. And counting down the default option.
DavidQuaedvlieg

Postby jm6087 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:18 am

AutoDMC,

Great suggestion and post.
While we wait for Waze to consider fixing this issue, the next best solution would be working with the local editors to ensure the ramp closures are in place for all the app users. We can do this through the Waze Map Editor.
I am going to send you a PM on information about joining us.

Thanks
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Waze App Feature Requests