Smart motorway /variable speed limit alerts

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Smart motorway /variable speed limit alerts

Postby EmKayP » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:19 am

Considerable sections of busier motorways in the UK are now being converted to Smart Motorways; meaning, hard shoulder on the sections of those motorways are open for traffic during the busier times or sometimes, there is no more hard shoulders anymore with overhead signs on gantries warning of stopped vehicle at the near-side lane. These stretches also has variable speed limits imposed during rush hours to regulate the traffic flow and the new speed cameras are to catch offenders speeding past the reduced speed limits (and not the national speed limits).

The speed limits are completely variable and may range anywhere between 60mph to as low as 30mph because of congestion. Would be a nice feature to let the Wazers mark a section of such motorways to be with VSL and allow users to report any reduced speed limits so that Wazers behind are warned of reduced speed limits well ahead and re-routed if need be. There are plenty of suggestions in the Waze suggestions box and would be nice if we could have all tidied up and votes gathered for a single idea so that this gains some visiblity and a possibility of being included in the future version.

I'm pretty sure similar highways/motorways exist in other countries as I did noticed a user from Ohio, US and Netherlands proposing similar motorways/highways in their countries.

https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... peed-limit

https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... peed-limit
EmKayP

Re: Smart motorway /variable speed limit alerts

Postby icanbeatali » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 am

This would be huge.

Mostly because it would also allow the app to alert you for speed traps. Right now on the M25, if I'm going 69 in a variable speed zone that has been lowered to 40, the app doesn't recognize that I'm speeding and therefore doesn't give an audible alert on upcoming speed cameras.

I've often thought that there needs to be a way of the app knowing what the variable speeds are.
icanbeatali

Return to Waze App Feature Requests