Proposal : insert an (optional) altimeter on the screen  Topic is solved

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Proposal : insert an (optional) altimeter on the screen

Postby ato53 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:04 am

Hello,

instead of having to switch between Waze and another application, it would be useful to have an (optional) altimeter on the main screen of Waze.

Probably easy to develop as the exact position is already known

thanks
ato53

Re: Proposal : insert an (optional) altimeter on the screen

Postby tonytx05 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Why? It's a vehicle navigation app, so you're always 0 ft AGL. Why would a driver care what their altitude MSL is?
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby xrlwyzz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 pm

There are reasons for showing the altitude. For example when driving in the mountains most of the times I'm just curious (for example at which altitude it started snowing), sometimes I want to compare starting with finish altitude to have a better idea on how good or bad fuel consumption was. But there are also cases when this information can be really helpful. For example if you know you have to go up to 1500 meters above sea level, so knowing your current altitude gives you a better idea how road conditions will be up there in winter (if you're already at 1400 and it's still raining you don't have to expect icy roads, whereas 4°C and rain at 800 meters should make you think about putting up chains on your tires). Also altitude can be important when running low on fuel sometimes, because of course you need more fuel when going uphill...
xrlwyzz

Re: Proposal : insert an (optional) altimeter on the screen  Topic is solved

Postby dcold66 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm

I would also like to have an optional altimeter display on my Waze screen. I'm fascinated by it, but could see "reasons" for it also, like the ones @xrlwyzz mentioned.

I've been quietly watching for it to appear as a feature, but now I'm asking for it.

My wife's 2015 Infiniti has altitude displayed on its Nav screen. And other Android/iOS apps have an altimeter display...the Samsung Health app uses it in its Biking mode, and the iPhone Compass displays altitude.

So @tonytx05, I ask....Why NOT? :)
dcold66

Postby BruceSharpe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Another use case is for those of us driving an electric car. Elevation changes have a significant effect on range. It would be helpful to have it displayed.

As it is now I have to run an altimeter in split-screen mode. It confirms to me the value of the proposed feature, but it's a very inefficient use of screen space.
BruceSharpe

Postby Lbs3T » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 am

Hi, I was also using the altimeter quite frequently with old navis from 2010. Now, I really miss it because of all the reasons that others mentioned in this thread.

@Unholy: Do you plan to integrate altimeter into waze? If yes than when approximately?

Thanks!
Lbs3T

Postby JXtype00100 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Waze non ha l'altimetro, forse ritengono inutile la funzione. Io dico che waze si distingue per migliorare il piacere della guida interagendo con altri wazer e con il territorio. Forse non molto utile un altimetro opzionale, ma completerebbe la sensazione già grande di avere tutto sotto controllo! Accontentateci grazie
JXtype00100

Postby RonCossin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:27 am

It would be nice like stated several time out here, to have the Elevation or Altitude shown on the map screen. If someone doesn't use it then they can turn it off. But for the rest of us that want it, it should be a choice. Thanks in advance
RonCossin

Postby kumiankka » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:37 pm

GPS based altimeters can't be very accurate due to fact that GPS receiver knows its exact distance only from the satellites and from the center of the satellite orbit, which is quite close to the center of the earth.

Meanwhile us humans tend to measure heights relative to our current position or to the mean sea level. GPS system has some predefined references like mean sea level but it's not very accurate because earth is not a perfectly round sphere.

So, to get your altitude using GPS, you would need a high-resolution topographic model of the earth and then find your coordinates on the model and read your height from there.

AFAIK, Waze maps don't have any height data what-so-ever (except segments relative height to each other), which makes it impossible to add an altimeter display in the app.
kumiankka a.k.a. the rubber duck. Quack quack!

[ img ][ img ]
kumiankka

Postby Lbs3T » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Please at least add an option to display altitude from the GPS data. I don't need high precision (+- 20 m does not matter). Seeing the trend (increasing or decreasing) could save power consumption. Also when passing a mountain pass and seeing an altitude would be nice.

Navigon had this already in 2009 so why not Waze in 2019?
Lbs3T

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests