Suggestions for those towing while using Waze

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Suggestions for those towing while using Waze

Postby RonRN18 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:49 pm

I have been loving using Waze but just entered a new sub-set world of driving. I just recently bought a travel trailer. Like when I bought my plug-in hybrid, driving a different type of vehicle changes my concerns and style of driving. One new aspect when towing is that I drive slower that the majority of the vehicles on the freeway. In California, many of our freeways have a speed limit of 65 or 70 MPH... BUT, if you are towing anything, you have a maximum speed limit of 55 MPH. My attitude about this has changed, now that I have a trailer. I used to think it was stupid to have two different speed limits for different types of vehicles on the same road, but after towing and realizing forces often faced while pulling, I now understand why a trailer must be pulled at a slower speed. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, there is a need to have a more reliable estimate time of arrival when you are never to exceed a certain speed, even if the speed limit and the majority of the vehicles are driving at a faster speed. I saw in another post, someone was commenting that their delivery trucks are limited in speed and they were looking for different settings for different vehicles and a response that Waze didn't want to cater to certain types of vehicles, as there are too many different types of vehicles. That is why I was thinking of a slightly different stategy to accomplish the same goal, improving ETA for some drivers. My idea is to have a setting for a user setable "Never exceed speed." For me, I would set a never exceed speed of 55 MPH, which would use the speed limit and/or speed of average traffic on roads SLOWER than 55 MPH but on roads with higher limits and higher average speeds, it would be capped at 55 MPH for the purpose of estimating time to destination. While 55 MPH works for me, maybe someone else may have a different speed they would like to never exceed, this is why I would prefer a user setable speed... maybe someone wants to change it to 57 MPH.

Another thought I had probably has many fewer users with the need, but I when towing, I prefer to take a flatter route, with less steep hills/mountains, even if it may take a little more time. For example, I live near Sacramento, California and I just took my trailer to the Santa Cruz/Watsonville area. If I was driving a typical car, the normal route includes taking California State Highway 17. I find driving this route to be a pain, but it is the shortest route. Pulling my trailer, I did NOT want to take Highway 17! Thankfully, I was not relying on Waze to find my best route, I actually do know the area and realized that if I took Interstate 680 to US Highway 101 South to California State Highway 129, to California State Highway 1, it added less than 30 minutes to the drive, yet made the steepest part of the entire the Mission Pass area of Interstate 680 the steepest driving of the trip, and that isn't too bad. There was a web site and open-source project that used Google Maps to discover the flattest route, but sadly, due to a change in Google Maps API, the site no longer works, although the code is still available. It would be awesome if this could be incorporated into Waze somehow... allowing users to choose a flatter route. The web site that no longer works was http://flattestroute.net and the source is at https://github.com/Zivi/FlattestRoute/.
RonRN18

Re: Suggestions for those towing while using Waze

Postby turbomkt » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:06 am

There are a number of things like this that people would like to see. My guess is Waze would say this is primarily a commuter's app. And based on percentages, there aren't a ton of people actively towing trailers (barring commercial use which falls into the "not commuting" category).

With that said, this is the supposed place for making suggestions:
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... estion-box

If you add it, post a link so people can vote on it. If you find one already there for the same type of thing...post that link instead :)
turbomkt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Nazride » Fri May 24, 2019 2:48 pm

The suggestion topic exists on "waze user voice"

if you want the shortests route back, just vote here

https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... test-route
Nazride

Postby xjnash » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Could we add low underpasses ?
xjnash

Postby jm6087 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

xjnash wrote:Could we add low underpasses ?

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=657&t=78952
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Waze App Feature Requests