Many waze suggestions

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Many waze suggestions

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 14, 2013 6:27 pm

On all the "voice-alerts" suggestions, Waze already accepts voice commands. It's currently limited to certain countries/language, but many users hack the preferences to enable it. Don't even have to touch the screen at all. You can respond to hazard alerts with voice too.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Rafareino wrote:Voice alerts
One single tap to drop an alert, after that, the google voice recognition engine should be invoked to the user say 'accident seen' or 'hidding cops'... the community should be requested to help identifying what some user advised, if the spoken description isn't so clear
Should be even better, if alerts could be triggered by some keyword like "SUPERWAZERS that's an accident here", without even be necessary to tap the screen.
This word coud be trained, or changeble by the user.
Already Exists in many countries. See https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Voice_Commands - the page says "US & Canada", but I believe it's been enabled in other countries (and some users have turned it on themselves)

Rafareino wrote:Off-the-road action
Distribute points to users that help to improving waze, after they turn off their cars
Let's "After arrive" "translate" a voice alert dropped for some near user:
Just play an alert of other user, let one or two users actually inform what alert was dropped by the driving one, and parse this alert in your servers to generate a base of spoken keywords to future alerts, that's localized, after all.
Drop some Hints of usage to the user in phone notification area minutes after that they arrive.
Can you explain this more? Perhaps provide an example, I'm not understanding what you are trying to get at.

Rafareino wrote:Less options
Ok guys, the old software school says you should let your user choose what he want, and how, and where; so the new software trend is to magically discover what user need, and not offer anything else, and I'm talking about map theming here. Grab user data about the least popular themes and start dropping they one after another until it do not matter anymore.
Do you have much data, guys, don't miss use they.
Users actually want more themes - so much so that they are Creating them already themselves.

Rafareino wrote:Until we haven't voice alerts, simplify they
"Accident alert" so I become alert and look to that, but there isn't accident at all (or the guy was helped), so I wanted click "Not exists" when I almost crashed my own car!!
So please, simplify ALL THE ALERT INTERFACE to prevent problems to your software. Figure that if the incidents raise significantly, someone could take down the entire software (aka ban it from smart phone stores).
It's a single tap - if it isn't safe to tap "not there" - don't tap it. In the US, the courts have held that using a GPS app isn't the same as using the phone.

Rafareino wrote:Photo update of gas station prices
Offer an interface to take a photo of gas prices banner, parse it in server to auto update prices, and confirm then after arrival.
This has been suggested before. I think it could be workable, but there are so many different types of signs & formats that have to work in the system. In some places the signs don't show all the prices.

Rafareino wrote:Let me add details to an alert after the arrive
Just put some notifications om my phone to let me fill out more detailed data about an alert, or update gas station updates, by comparison with an image.
Most trips are short ones, so the datails coul wait.
Already exists. Start your alert (i.e. Report->Hazard) and don't do anything else or tap the later button. The report will time out, close, and you will have an extra icon above the report icon holding that report for you to finish later. You can only hold ONE report like this at a time. Please remember that the longer it takes for you to complete your report, the more likely that is has been cleared.

Rafareino wrote:More social interactions
Offer to post a medal, on social media, to an user that helped in voice "recognition" alerts, or to parse some price update on taken by a photo.
Let people say "I earned the bronze medal of voice helping #waze and helped [# of users that received the alert] users", and give then some extra points.
Basically, you want achievements (candies) to post to social media. Many users have their Waze linked to their Facebook and/or Twitter, but have turned off the auto posting feature.

Rafareino wrote:An API to foment development
Launch a challenge to the community, let then create extensions to waze and do an annual contest to buy some of then. Make it clear about the price policy in advance, set a price range to these buys.
I am a developer, I've just thinking and typing this message for weeks, if I had time, and an API I should be a great contributor of waze, so please, give me the tools, so I can help me, and eventually some other users...
https://www.waze.com/about/dev

my01548120868 wrote:1. I had to log-in again every time waze updates itself. All my preference settings (such as voice, display, mode, my car, sound and history) will be gone and I have to stop by the road to fix them again. Can that be fixed?
You shouldn't have to re-log in after each update & your preferences should be held UNLESS you remove & re-install the app.

my01548120868 wrote:2. When routing, preferably can choose whether to look for fastest route or nearest route by-passing the default setting in the Navigation setting. The default setting is fastest but occasionally one may want to try out the shortest route without having to reset the setting.
You can look at alternate routes by tapping the "Routes" button after you input your destination. Most GPS units have the fastest/shortest setting in a similar place that Waze does.

my01548120868 wrote:3. When an alert pops up it say "... in x minutes" preferably can choose to change it to "... in x meter/km" I find it more meaningful to know the distance rather than the time ahead because time can be affected by traffic condition and driving speed.
Do you also get the distance alert when you get close by? I've only seen the "... in x minutes" alert when the routing engine is alerting me to changing traffic conditions & changing my ETA or routing me around the traffic.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby my01548120868 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 am

More suggestions:
1. I had to log-in again every time waze updates itself. All my preference settings (such as voice, display, mode, my car, sound and history) will be gone and I have to stop by the road to fix them
again. Can that be fixed?

2. When routing, preferably can choose whether to look for fastest route or nearest route by-passing the default setting in the Navigation setting. The default setting is fastest but occasionally one may want to try out the shortest route without having to reset the setting.

3. When an alert pops up it say "... in x minutes" preferably can choose to change it to
"... in x meter/km" I find it more meaningful to know the distance rather than the time ahead because time can be affected by traffic condition and driving speed.
my01548120868

Many waze suggestions

Postby Rafareino » Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a huge fan of your work, and the waze is my primary alternative to driving to everywhere, but I have some concerns about it, that I wanna to share with you.

Pls, consider all the following as suggestions from a sincere and open-minded perspective.

Voice alerts
One single tap to drop an alert, after that, the google voice recognition engine should be invoked to the user say 'accident seen' or 'hidding cops'... the community should be requested to help identifying what some user advised, if the spoken description isn't so clear
Should be even better, if alerts could be triggered by some keyword like "SUPERWAZERS that's an accident here", without even be necessary to tap the screen.
This word coud be trained, or changeble by the user.
Off-the-road action
Distribute points to users that help to improving waze, after they turn off their cars
Let's "After arrive" "translate" a voice alert dropped for some near user:
Just play an alert of other user, let one or two users actually inform what alert was dropped by the driving one, and parse this alert in your servers to generate a base of spoken keywords to future alerts, that's localized, after all.
Drop some Hints of usage to the user in phone notification area minutes after that they arrive.
Less options
Ok guys, the old software school says you should let your user choose what he want, and how, and where; so the new software trend is to magically discover what user need, and not offer anything else, and I'm talking about map theming here. Grab user data about the least popular themes and start dropping they one after another until it do not matter anymore.
Do you have much data, guys, don't miss use they.
Until we haven't voice alerts, simplify they
"Accident alert" so I become alert and look to that, but there isn't accident at all (or the guy was helped), so I wanted click "Not exists" when I almost crashed my own car!!
So please, simplify ALL THE ALERT INTERFACE to prevent problems to your software. Figure that if the incidents raise significantly, someone could take down the entire software (aka ban it from smart phone stores).
Photo update of gas station prices
Offer an interface to take a photo of gas prices banner, parse it in server to auto update prices, and confirm then after arrival.
Let me add details to an alert after the arrive
Just put some notifications om my phone to let me fill out more detailed data about an alert, or update gas station updates, by comparison with an image.
Most trips are short ones, so the datails coul wait.
More social interactions
Offer to post a medal, on social media, to an user that helped in voice "recognition" alerts, or to parse some price update on taken by a photo.
Let people say "I earned the bronze medal of voice helping #waze and helped [# of users that received the alert] users", and give then some extra points.
An API to foment development
Launch a challenge to the community, let then create extensions to waze and do an annual contest to buy some of then. Make it clear about the price policy in advance, set a price range to these buys.
I am a developer, I've just thinking and typing this message for weeks, if I had time, and an API I should be a great contributor of waze, so please, give me the tools, so I can help me, and eventually some other users...
Rafareino

Return to Waze App Feature Requests