Request: electric charge stations

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Request: electric charge stations

Postby pilootdotcom » Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 pm

It's great to see gas stations and prices, but for me pointless since I don't use any gas anymore in my new all electric Renault Zoe. I think it would be great for the fast growing population of EV owners to have an interactive way to find, select, update and grade electric charge stations. There's a big lack in proper apps with this kind of info, nor can you plan a route in them. Waze would be ideal.
pilootdotcom

Re: Request: electric charge stations

Postby rodolfopaiz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 am

Yes! I was just about to start a new thread with that request, but found yours so I'll +1 instead.

For electric car drivers (Tesla in my case), it would be great to replace the "gas" button on the menu with a "charge" button. Charging stations will need their own database, of course, just like gas stations. Here is an attempt at listing the "properties" of a charging station:

- Location and name (of course)
- Contact info (name/phone/email) during daytime hours and for nights/weekends
- Voltage and current available (usually noted as 240V/30A)
- Connector type or types (one charger can have multiple connectors, e.g. Tesla Roadster, Tesla Model S, J1772, CHADEMO, etc.)
- The name of the network (if any) to which the charger belongs: Chargepoint, Blink, etc.
- Initial fee for using the charger, if any
- Unit fee (per KWh of consumption) for using the charger, if any)
- Schedule of availability (hours and days)
- Publicly available or private (say, at a convention center for attendees only)

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help further.
rodolfopaiz

Postby pilootdotcom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:58 am

In Europe (Netherlands at least) some info is different. Voltage is always 220 I guess, but useful info is the amount of kW and if it's DC (CHADEMO for Leafs) or AC (Mennekes, for Zoe). Just the amount of voltage and amps doesn't say much as you need to know if it's AC, DC, single phase, triple phase etc. The resulting kW is more useful as I know a 5 kW point takes about 4 times longer than a 22 kW charger. Most if not all chargepoints nowadays take cards from other providers, price often depends on the card.

Obviously it's more complex than just gas prices at pumps, but there's no denying that this request is inevitable in the end. Plugins are rapidly becoming the norm.
pilootdotcom

Postby davidg666 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 am

pilootdotcom wrote:In Europe (Netherlands at least) some info is different. Voltage is always 220 I guess,

On a (minor) point of information (and please pardon my pedantry :) ): standard mains voltage across all EU members in Europe has been harmonised at 230V.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby jlgraupera » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm a wazer since it started, wondering if there is any plan to add eletric vehicle chargers, we are thousands!
jlgraupera

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm

jlgraupera wrote:I'm a wazer since it started, wondering if there is any plan to add eletric vehicle chargers, we are thousands!

Nope. Not yet. It's been suggested before.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Matt-Shevado » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:28 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
jlgraupera wrote:I'm a wazer since it started, wondering if there is any plan to add eletric vehicle chargers, we are thousands!

Nope. Not yet. It's been suggested before.

Then please add another name to the pot of people requesting this - it would really help
Matt-Shevado

Postby rodolfopaiz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm

With sales of plug-in vehicles projected to exceed 100,000 in the USA for the first time this year, and with most (nearly all?) of those drivers being more technologically-savvy than average, the ability to handle chargers becomes more and more important to Waze... this is precisely Waze's target market.

I agree that KW (power) and connector type or types available pretty much tells you the whole story. However, adding volts/amps if possible (eg in a note next to the KW rating) will help many users who don't know any better or who are used to seeing that information a different way.
rodolfopaiz

Postby mirkoEv » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:51 pm

I too am interested in this feature.

For US Charging station data, the Department of Energy has a public database. Not only does this database have EV charging stations it has other forms of alternative fuels. This would also add support for Fuel Cell, CNG, etc. vehicles.

Main page:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/locator/stations/

RESTful API
http://developer.nrel.gov/docs/transpor ... ations-v1/

Database download:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/data_download/
mirkoEv

Postby slshults » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 am

+1 for this feature.

(Also a possible marketing opportunity here. You could sell ads to charging station companies and annoy us with those ads instead of gas station ads. :) )
slshults

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests