Request: electric charge stations

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Request: electric charge stations

Postby V70_white » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Missing this as well.. Made a post in the swedish section about what would be good to have when adding a charging station.. (That is not so much a station as just a charging point..) that should be able to put in a parking lot or where a garage is located.

When adding a charging point you would like to be able to choose following in Sweden at least.. I guess there is a problem with different power voltage and so on in diffrent countries. (add if you are missing something):

230V 10A
230V 16A Schuko
400V 16A
400V 32A
Mode-3, Type-1 with cable
Mode-3, Type-2, outlet
Mode-3, Type-2 with cable
Marechal
CHAdeMO
Tesla
CCS EU

To choose how many of each of the above that are available would be good.
Would also be good to be able to add charging fee and a comment about the charger.
V70_white

Postby hardcoretuner » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:28 pm

This feature would be great. It would also need to incorporate some feedback about the stations though. Sometimes they are not working and it would be great if the community could share the info with one another.

Plugshare app should be incorporated basically.
hardcoretuner

Postby Robert04101 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:01 pm

V70_white wrote:Missing this as well.. Made a post in the swedish section about what would be good to have when adding a charging station.. (That is not so much a station as just a charging point..) that should be able to put in a parking lot or where a garage is located.

When adding a charging point you would like to be able to choose following in Sweden at least.. I guess there is a problem with different power voltage and so on in diffrent countries. (add if you are missing something):

230V 10A
230V 16A Schuko
400V 16A
400V 32A
Mode-3, Type-1 with cable
Mode-3, Type-2, outlet
Mode-3, Type-2 with cable
Marechal
CHAdeMO
Tesla
CCS EU

To choose how many of each of the above that are available would be good.
Would also be good to be able to add charging fee and a comment about the charger.

A better approach might be to split the electrical characteristics from the plug characteristic. In theory, most any electrical connection can be used with most any plug type. E.g., Clipper Creek sells J1772 chargers (the most common plug type here in the US) that can be wired into anything from 120v/12A (1.4kW) to 240v/80A (20kW). Some CHAdeMO stations can charge at 50kW, whilst others have been down-rated to 25kW to save on demand charges from the utility. Some older Tesla Superchargers are capped at 90kW while newer ones are 120kW.

To further complicate the issue, some charging stations have multiple types of chargers. E.g. where I regularly charge in Portland has one CHAdeMO and one J1772 unit. That situation could be handled by creating two different Place markers, though, to keep the data model of any one Place simpler.
Robert04101
State Manager
State Manager

Postby babelmonk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:09 am

+1 from me - not yet got my EV (Tesla S arriving in April) but really keen to have Waze work out my charging routes - the built in Tesla one is OK but not as good as it could be, and I'll miss Waze if I can't use it! - I'll be putting the Superchargers in as Favourites but that's just not enough to be entirely useful.
babelmonk

Postby rschalie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:25 am

Waze has the option of navigating to gas stations along your route. For electrical charging stations this would not make much sense, as charging times are too long to be usefull while driving.
However, being able to navigate to a charging station near the destination of a trip would be very helpfull.
rschalie

Postby RCToyBox » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 am

I disagree. If you have superchargers, restaurant nearby chargers, etc.
RCToyBox

Postby Robert04101 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:24 pm

RCToyBox wrote:I disagree. If you have superchargers, restaurant nearby chargers, etc.

I second this sentiment; as someone who's been driving purely electric for over three years, I can attest that the location of EV charging can make a huge difference in the route I want to drive.
  1. Level 3 chargers (Tesla Superchargers, CHAdeMO, etc.) provide a lot of charge in 30 minutes. Sure that's slower than gassing up a car, but it's less time than I'll take at a lunch break.
  2. Even an hour at a Level 2 charger (<20 kW) can provide enough extra miles to make a trip work. I once drove from Boston to a resort in the Adirondacks (before the days of Superchargers); stopping for a leisurely breakfast along the way with my car plugged in made the 280-mile trip feasible.

EV adopters tend to be more tech-savvy people--exactly the kind of people who are likely to be Wazers. Sure, Tesla Models S and X have on-board navigation that auto-routes through Superchargers, but that routing engine is not as situation-aware as Waze and relies on map data that is only periodically updated. Let's make Waze the best navigation app for all drivers.
Robert04101
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Bender716 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:12 pm

I personally do not have an electric car as I cannot afford one and I live in an area that it would be impractical, that said, this should be added. After reading this though, electric chargers should be standardized as well. Make it like a gas pump, one charger, several different options.
Bender716

Chargepoint

Postby Asterix777 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Need for impementation of chargepoints in the POI selection list. I want to
Navigation easy to the next chargepoint or Tesla Supercharger.
Asterix777

Postby ItsAGeekThing » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:18 pm

I don't own an electric vehicle (yet),
But I would still like to see this implemented.

+1
ItsAGeekThing
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests