Alert Notification Countdown Starts Too Soon

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Alert Notification Countdown Starts Too Soon

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 pm

louisb323 wrote:Ever since I've been using Waze (over a year now) the alert (ie - accident, hazard or police) removal countdown starts way before I even get to the alert location. Which means the option to remove the event goes away before I even can get to/can see the actual event.

I've seen this happen, too. I believe it's because another Wazer marked it Not There before I get to it. Sometimes the marker stays on the screen, but often it also disappears. I've also seen the marker remain, but you can't tap on it. That suggests that the system has removed it due to user responding Not There.

louisb323 wrote:Another thing I've experienced is if there's two or more events within a close distance of eachother one will supercede the other so I can't selectively remove one event that may no longer be there over another.

That's been on our "buglist" (Waze would call it a feature change) for quite a long time. Very annoying that you can't respond to the closest event because the next event overrides it. Totally agree.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.3.928
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Could you find out if this is specific to a type of hazard? Because I never see this happen. Once the hazard is reached, you should get, and I do with every one, a 10-12-15 second (can't remember which) timer to tap not there.

Write in your platform/OS details too.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.3.928
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Alert Notification Countdown Starts Too Soon

Postby DonFromPortsmouth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:07 pm

I wrote the following before finding this post. I *think* it's basically the same issue, but from another viewpoint. Apologies if it seems to be hijacking the thread!
--------
When approaching a reported hazard, there is a countdown on the "is it there" popup by remaining feet. That's good -- but lightning reactions are required to actually use it, because it disappears when the count reaches zero, right *at* the hazard. Since at highway speeds one usually cannot spot things until one is a couple of hundred feet away ... that's less than 3 seconds to react. Since one's primary job is driving, that 3 seconds is almost never enough. Today I accidentally made a false "not there" report because I was looking and didn't see the hazard until I was at 200 feet or so -- and I punched "not there" at about 250 feet because I could not see it, and knew that if I waited longer, the opportunity to reply would go away.

I suggest that after reaching zero, the popup remain for a certain number of seconds (possibly user-settable), but at least 3 seconds (maybe with a red count-up?) before going away to allow someone who just saw the reported item to confirm its existence.
DonFromPortsmouth

Postby louisb323 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 pm

Ever since I've been using Waze (over a year now) the alert (ie - accident, hazard or police) removal countdown starts way before I even get to the alert location. Which means the option to remove the event goes away before I even can get to/can see the actual event.

However sometimes the countdown timer doesn't start until I'm actually past the event; which I presume is how it's supposed to work.

Another thing I've experienced is if there's two or more events within a close distance of eachother one will supercede the other so I can't selectively remove one event that may no longer be there over another.

I think the best solution would be to allow a wazer to be able to remove (ie - select "Not there") events/alerts by selecting them instead of only being able to do so when the alert window is up.

What I'm doing now is if the countdown timer starts before I reach or can see the event I just select "Not There" and then if it is there I just recreate it. Which is kind of a pain but at least keeps the alerts up to date.
iPad2 - iOS5
louisb323

Return to Waze App Feature Requests