Feature Request - Damage to the Road

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Feature Request - Damage to the Road

Postby dknight212 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am

Whatever happened to Street Bump?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17485658
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Feature Request - Damage to the Road

Postby lovelks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 am

Hi,

I work for a large organisation in the UK that maintains road networks. We've been looking at designing an app that allows people to up load damage to roads - pot holes and such, but it's been rather specific to small areas in the UK.

But how about adding this sort of functionality to your system?

People could upload the damage like existing hazards - maybe have a grading to the size of the damage. Wazers could then vote on the hazard, this would alert other Wazers to the damage on the road, and could help set a prioritising system for the repairs.

We could help promote the use of Waze to help record the information, or use it a single source of reference at contract level.

We're not the only supplier to the UK government who do this kind of work - but if others could promote the use of Waze too - it could become a very useful tool in the UK.

If suppliers like us could then download or hook up via an API to get the location data, this could reduce the project lifecycle to getting damaged roads repaired in a timely fashion and with a priority set by those who really count.

Us the road users.

Just an idea..

If anyone thinks it's a useful idea, let me know.

Mike
lovelks

Postby lovelks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:29 am

Good question....

In my opinion this highlights one of the issues. It's a great technical approach that's been piloted by one council (in the UK).

The problem is, technicians look to solve the problems via technology. But the problem is bigger than that. It's also about the perception that something is being done, in that there is a way to report hazards, for the hazard to get a priority by those that use the app and in a way gives the power to the users to decide whats important.

Street Bump (as far as I can tell), is an independent app that you'll need to download and run for it to report back. Who's going to use it? Where if there is an app with an already strong (and building) community, by adding the functionality there - you do not need to download an additional app (and you raise the public awareness in one go).

Waze - also gives you the ability to comment on the hazard. This give a great indication to the real size of the problem. You could have two holes, the same size that have been reported the same number of times, but if there is a long list of comments on one - it indicates that there is a bigger problem - IE we could respond to the perception of the hazard, not just the stats.

It brings a level of engagement to the process.

The other issue, again at least for me, is that Street Bump is another fragmented solution. It's working the right way to achieve the same results., but I know of a number of pilots and different approached that have been used. But each time you're almost starting from stratch.

Waze has the community (something that Google believes is going to be big), and for me that's a huge benefit.

I have to admit - I'm not one of the technical guys that works on the Highways or TechMAC contract, I'm a online marketing and communications bloke, so I'm almost approaching this issue as a regular road user, but (for me) the only way something like this is going to succeed - is if people are backing it, and it hooks into something that they already use.

Once you've got that - the data will follow, and the councils (or those contracted to work for them) could all use the same system, that driven by the very people they want to help.

Us
lovelks

Postby woyteck79 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 am

I think this is a great idea. Currently driving in Poland and the amount of potholes and other damage on older roads is staggering.
woyteck79

Return to Waze App Feature Requests