Better offline support

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Offline Seems To Work?

Postby a4bolek » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:12 am

Maps and turn instructions along your route are stored in cache. As long as you follow original route it works well. That trick is used by people visiting foreign countries without any local data plan. You plan your routes while still using hotel WiFi, scroll along your planned route at different zoom levels then hit the road.
Hardware:
Nexus 6P Android 7.0
Nexus 5X Android 6.01
Nexus 10 Android 6.01
Waze 4.6.0.1
a4bolek

Ability to place alerts when not connected to internet

Postby aaplmike » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:52 am

Hello all.

I have a feature request.

A good segment of my commute traverses a couple valleys where my phone has no signal. In these places the Waze app won't let me add an alert. Last week after our rainstorms, part of the road was closed due to a small rockslide in the dead area. If I could have marked that in the Waze app, then at least people behind me would have some idea of what was ahead and be able to consider options without heading down a closed road with no info.

Since the phone's GPS is working (as is evidenced by my car staying on the road in the correct position), you *could* leave a mark, queue it, and send it to the server once service is restored.

Sure there will be a little bit of latency, but the upside is that many times the really relevent alerts stick around for a while (accidents, weather hazards, road hazards, etc). There is definitely benefit to being able to mark them when offline. There could be a timeout that the app would track so that after a reasonable amount of time, the alerts could be dropped, or maybe marked as "old".

Anyway, just an idea.
aaplmike

Re: Better offline support

Postby alexs001 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:37 am

I've put some thought into how to implement these functions. I'm not a programmer, so I may be out to lunch, but here are my thoughts:

1. Fix the searching for network problem. Following prolonged data outages, the client is in a handicapped mode until I sleep and unsleep waze or force quit the app and restart it. Both result in a loss of my logs, effectively making it impossible to gain editing rights in cellular dead-zones without area manager status. I suspect this is a result of some kind of permanent timeout in the client. A change in network status should be able to trigger the client to attempt communication with the server. A user preference may be required to set the size of the data cache used for offline data collection.

2. Offline reports. If I report a hazard with no data service, the client should be able to store this and send it in when communication is re-established. If the lifespan of a report has expired before communication is re-established, then it would not be sent. Points could even be pro-rated ie. if a hazard report is half-expired by the time it is sent in, then only one point would be given to the reporter. Data could be prioritized such that when a weak signal is acquired, the most important data is exchanged first.

3. Cellular service mapping. Waze could be collecting data on cellular network reach and strength which could be used as a revenue stream, or to change the behavior of the client when routing through dead zones. Additional data downloads could be triggered at the start of the trip or prior to going out of cellular service.
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador
[ img ] [ img ]
alexs001
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby alexs001 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Paves should also be cached for later reporting. Currently when paving in a spotty area, areas of accurate reporting are connected by long straight bee-lines when points couldn't be uploaded in realtime.
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador
[ img ] [ img ]
alexs001
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby aljcd » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:19 pm

This is something I have wished for since the very old S60 Waze client back in 2009-10, but I guess they are afraid to make the move. It is very frustrating for me, because I commute two hours each day and my workplace is in a rural area.
"Per aspera ad astra" **\U/**
aljcd

Postby andehh1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:00 pm

Just to add I found this thread whilst searching for a solution to this. As a large portion of people (i imagine) use waze to do long journies I imagine most also go through patchy signal areas.

Wazes does seem to take a while to reconnect when the signal comes back & in the meantime, any incidents I have passed get missed & forgotten about.

Caching the incident I have reported for 15mins & resend it then seems like a perfectly logical & sensible thing to do....so why not!?
andehh1

Postby brunoicq » Sun May 29, 2016 3:32 am

+1
brunoicq

Postby chriscompo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Major incidents wouldn't go stale either. Waze needs to increase its service and offline ability. GPS and maybe it's own servers quite considerably as more people are connecting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chriscompo

Allow Offline Reporting

Postby ClownPrinceOfCumbria » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:44 am

Here in the UK we have large areas that have no mobile coverage at all and some of these areas are liable to flood or have large traffic delays, because there's no mobile coverage we cannot update Waze to notify other drivers.

What would be great is if we could go through the process of reporting and as soon as there's a connection to the mobile network it would upload the report.

I am surprised this isn't already a feature on something that claims to be community based.
ClownPrinceOfCumbria

Postby CommutePilot » Wed May 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Just to bump this, I could wholeheartedly use this feature. I perpetually drive to and from military bases that have long access roads with no service. There is service on post and at the highway. Most of these have multiple roads to get on and off base. When there is an accident, you may be headed for it for 30min with no cell service. It would be awesome to know what exit to take before you leave base. For those reporting, once you see it, it may be 30min to cell service again where it can be reported.

With the current setup, there is no way to save the report for later. If you tag it and wait, the report times out. If you hit send, it says no service and to try again later, but you cannot tag a previous location as an accident.

Please implement caching of reports for proper service.
CommutePilot

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests