Better police marking: Moving or standstill

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Better police marking: Moving or standstill

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 pm

If it doesn't affect 80% of drivers on a daily basis, this kind of change is not likely to come to fruition. At least, not any time soon.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby big_lv » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:26 pm

I also agree with the original post that a moving police indicator is not helpful regardless of the mechanics of accomplishing it. How would you mark a police car that's outside of their jurisdiction? How would you mark an off-duty police officer? How would you mark a prisoner transport? If a police car is actively using the radar or laser, they're obviously on-duty, in their jurisdiction, and not transporting a prisoner.

I wouldn't want Waze to be used to help people who are breaking into houses, vandalizing, or committing some other crime. If your idea were implemented, anyone would be able to see a real-time map of where the police officers are and they'd know when to strike.

A pin to remind people to slow down is fine. If the focus of the police department is truly safety and not revenue, reminding people to slow down is always a good thing.

On a related note, the vast majority of police pins I see are invalid, because people keep trying to pin moving police officers. I know where all of the common police parking places are on my commute, and if a police car is there, I pin it. However, I'm never sure whether to pin an active traffic stop. I know that police sometimes will sit at that location after the stop waiting for their next stop, so I normally go ahead and pin them. Something that would be more helpful for me would be to differentiate an active stop so that people know to shift over a lane. I've seen several traffic jams start because people slow at the last minute because they can't move over a lane.
big_lv

Re: Police Next to me feature?

Postby DavidAbarca » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Neither of this features are oriented on the way works, police reports should not be alerted for moving police, just for road blocks, fixed police stations or speed traps.
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Local Waze Champ

iPhone X
Waze Beta Last Version
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts

Re: Police traps

Postby DavidAbarca » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm

An officer directing traffic should not be reported, it's not relevant information.
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Local Waze Champ

iPhone X
Waze Beta Last Version
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts

Re: Police traps

Postby ErikasRudinskas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I guess you can write message for now, but I partially agree with you :)
ErikasRudinskas

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:36 pm

People have brought up the desire for a "moving police" report, and the answer is the same every time. When you make a report, it places a marker at a static location. So reporting a moving police officer is instantly in the wrong location.

There is no such functionality that would be able to predict where the police is moving to, and even if such functionality like you describe was added, it would still never be correct unless the police officer was moving at a constant speed, following the same road, in which case, they're most likely not looking for moving violations anyway.

The purpose of marking police traps is from a safety standpoint, and to help Wazers avoid speeding tickets. It's not to help people avoid the cops completely.

Also, reporting is set up specifically so that a moving driver can make a report without having to go through a bunch of steps that could be distracting. Yes, a passenger can type in a description, but that is rarely necessary, and rarely utilized now.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:42 am

Since this thread is now 2 1/2 years old and keeps being revived and beaten to death, I'm closing the thread.

Currently, Waze developers don't even have anything like this on the drawing board. Undertaking this kind of task would take the developing team YEARS to get it through to a released version, so there not much point in continuing to say the same thing over and over in this thread.

I will bring this up at this year's conference and see if they have any interest in including such a feature and if Waze provides a statement, I'll post it here.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Police reports

Postby jdmphd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:05 am

I'm sure this thread will be quickly closed, but I think this is right.

1. Many many many users continue to report moving police or police that have people pulled over and will therefore be moving shortly.

2. It's helpful to know that there are police moving in an area, just as it's helpful to know that they are stationary.

So I would suggest that the police reports include new options for reporting police: "Stationary" or "Not moving"; "Moving" or "In motion"; "Pulled vehicle over".

Waze could report the "moving" one either as if it were a static location or by using some kind of fuzzy distance from such a static location. (I've no idea whether that last is possible.)
jdmphd

Postby JeffGCool » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:13 am

To the extent that WAZE has mph data on a given stretch of highway (Wazer actual, or time of day weighted average) that data can be used to "predict" the approximate movement of the officer's vehicle. That prediction will either be "validated" (thanked) or invalidated by Wazers who select "Not There" when the report panel presents itself or gives the report a thumbs up if the moving vehicle is seen.

A moving patrol vehicle appearance does not have to persist unless it is semi-frequently validated by either the original Wazer who reported the instance or by other nearby Wazers who validate the appearance. Persistence would have to be determined by trial and error. But certain rules could be initially applied.

For example: Allow the moving patrol vehicle appearance to persist for a finite number of miles or until the first highway offramp, or "known" median opening where a patrol vehicle can cross and enter the opposing traffic lanes. The persistence can also be time limited (say, no more than 5 minutes or until the first exit.) When one or more of the relevant conditions occur (timeout/mileage limit/offramp/median turn, etc.) then the appearance simply evaporates. If the patrol vehicle makes a stop or simply pulls to the side or median and stops, the OP or next Wazer can tag it accordingly.

Same would apply if a moving patrol vehicle was spotted moving in the opposite direction. Once tagged the timer/distance/(or whatever criteria) would apply.

Frankly, it shouldn't matter why the patrol vehicle is moving or what the officer's business at hand is. I've driven enough highway miles and received sufficient moving violations to know that one never second guesses what a patrolling vehicle is up to.

In any predictive model there will always be variables that reveal themselves as betas are put to actual field testing. That's the nature of development.

I also agree with Riamus. Patrol and speed trap "zones" could be placed as a highway segment overlay that increases or decreases in color and/or intensity as Wazers flag and validate appearance and locations. If the data is there, it can be used predictively.

So my vote is for providing features that give Wazers the ability to report moving police.

jasonh300 wrote:People have brought up the desire for a "moving police" report, and the answer is the same every time. When you make a report, it places a marker at a static location. So reporting a moving police officer is instantly in the wrong location.

There is no such functionality that would be able to predict where the police is moving to, and even if such functionality like you describe was added, it would still never be correct unless the police officer was moving at a constant speed, following the same road, in which case, they're most likely not looking for moving violations anyway...
JeffGCool

Postby JeffGCool » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Frankly, it's irrelevant whether or not the car is in or out of its jurisdiction, on duty, off duty, or transporting a prisoner. Police officers are "sworn to protect" and serve the public interest 24/7 and have full authority to act as and when needed or instructed (within statutory and departmental policy constraints). Unless the patrol unit has "Out of Service" signs hanging in its windows (like that is ever going to happen) no one ever knows (nor do they need to know) what the officer's duty status is. One must assume that the vehicle is on duty and capable of effectuating a stop at any time.

Mapping the location of patrolling units on city streets will not impede patrolmen from performing their duties. The reality of most departments is that those units are often too busy to "patrol" because they are constantly responding to a backlog of calls that they respond to in a semi-prioritized first come first serve basis. So the the idea that police "prevent" crime via patrol in the modern world is more myth than realty. Nevertheless, I never suggested that moving police should be implemented by WAZE on city streets nor do I believe that city streets are a practical application for a moving police feature.

The highways and rural routes are a different matter entirely and would be the sweet spot for WAZE to implement moving police (and/or alternatively first responders) for the reasons I stated previously. Here, officers are actively looking for moving and public safety violators. Their presence becomes noteworthy and a stark reminder for drivers to be more vigilant. A moving pin will inevitably minimize the number of false positive map appearances that we have to deal with daily (and on long trips). While it's fortunate that WAZE provides users with the ability to indicate that a patrol unit is "Not There" and removes the unit's presence from the map when its used, I have to use this feature far too frequently. This is because there is no moving patrol pin option that would mitigate the false positives that occur from trying to use a stationary pin on a moving vehicle.

Frankly, I depend on WAZE for "good" data. Practically, I understand its an evolving product and accuracy is going to be a moving target for some time to come. Here we have an opportunity to tighten up the quality of data that the map already provides. Other than algorithmic and coding considerations, I've yet to hear any compelling arguments why WAZE shouldn't implement the feature.

MHO FWIW

big_lv wrote:I also agree with the original post that a moving police indicator is not helpful regardless of the mechanics of accomplishing it. How would you mark a police car that's outside of their jurisdiction? How would you mark an off-duty police officer? How would you mark a prisoner transport? If a police car is actively using the radar or laser, they're obviously on-duty, in their jurisdiction, and not transporting a prisoner.

I wouldn't want Waze to be used to help people who are breaking into houses, vandalizing, or committing some other crime. If your idea were implemented, anyone would be able to see a real-time map of where the police officers are and they'd know when to strike.

A pin to remind people to slow down is fine. If the focus of the police department is truly safety and not revenue, reminding people to slow down is always a good thing.

On a related note, the vast majority of police pins I see are invalid, because people keep trying to pin moving police officers. I know where all of the common police parking places are on my commute, and if a police car is there, I pin it. However, I'm never sure whether to pin an active traffic stop. I know that police sometimes will sit at that location after the stop waiting for their next stop, so I normally go ahead and pin them. Something that would be more helpful for me would be to differentiate an active stop so that people know to shift over a lane. I've seen several traffic jams start because people slow at the last minute because they can't move over a lane.
JeffGCool

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests