Better police marking: Moving or standstill

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Police traps

Postby LordVonZipstor » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:48 am

Hello

I reckon it would be good to be able to tell what type of police presence it is when you report it.
Eg:
-Road block
-Speed check
-Random Breath Tests
etc
LordVonZipstor

Re: Police traps

Postby ErikasRudinskas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I guess you can write message for now, but I partially agree with you :)
ErikasRudinskas

Postby TerrellSmith » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:23 am

I agree. I found that when using voice commands, Waze reports a Police Trap, even though it may just be an officer directing traffic and not a "trap". So for police, I've gone back to reporting using the buttons.
TerrellSmith

Police Next to me feature?

Postby ROCNDAV » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Is there a possibility of adding a "Police next to me" feature that can be toggled off if the police or the driver get off of the freeway (or otherwise separate from each other)?

I know people currently just press the police visible notification, over and over, but it would be neat to just post it once and have it use the wazer's location as the actual police location.
ROCNDAV

Re: Police Next to me feature?

Postby DavidAbarca » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Neither of this features are oriented on the way works, police reports should not be alerted for moving police, just for road blocks, fixed police stations or speed traps.
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Local Waze Champ

iPhone X
Waze Beta Last Version
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts

Postby DavidAbarca » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm

An officer directing traffic should not be reported, it's not relevant information.
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Local Waze Champ

iPhone X
Waze Beta Last Version
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts

Re: Better police marking: Moving or standstill

Postby PhoenixofMT » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:48 am

If you are updating the position of a moving officer often enough for the report to be relevant YOU ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!
Trying to process data that are only relevant for 15 seconds out of every 5-10 minutes is a waste of resources. Crunching traffic is taxing enough without calculating probability radii for moving targets with infrequent reliable fixes.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't think you understand what you're asking for.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby KC-Guardrail » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 am

usa_h1esakoe wrote:1. It would be helpful to be able to know, and to report, whether police are moving or stationary (maybe instead of visible/hidden?).

2. Previous police reports are characterized as "police 'traps.'" They're really rarely "traps." Can that wording be changed?

Tks

Why would you report a moving police officer? He won't be there when the next Wazer gets there.

Reminds me of the trucker that asks if the scales on the other side of the state, 250 miles away, are open. Kind of pointless.

A belch from my Droid
[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Area Manager - Kansas City Metro
KC-Guardrail

Postby mattnyfd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:27 am

KC-Guardrail wrote:Why would you report a moving police officer? He won't be there when the next Wazer gets there.

The report should overlay the reported moving police vehicle against the segment's speed limit data, then provide an indication (dotted line? checkered marks, as we do for closures?) on the map of where the cop might be. Let it extend out 1-2 miles in the direction of travel from where reported and then stop.

Effectively, it's automating the process whereas now we hope another Wazer passes by the car once he's become stationary and then reports it. Ipso facto, Waze currently does not track moving police traps who are running radar. NY State Troopers and Suffolk County both notorious for this move.

It's common on open highways with few hiding spots. TX sees the same issue as well.

Non-scientific guess: 50% of police seen on Long Island are not reported, as they are in motion. Or even worse, are reported as stationary.
mattnyfd
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1

Postby LordVonZipstor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 am

MGODLEW wrote:As a police officer I can tell you first hand having the feature would be regularly inaccurate and serve little to none for the Waze community. A better suggestion would be to allow flagging known police hiding spots. I like Riamus's suggestion.
Riamus wrote:I don't think we should necessarily flag speed traps manually. I think Waze should take the user data and generate their own "known speed trap" locations for automatically generated warnings. This should require repeated posting of police in an area within a period of time, including those being Thanked to show that they are valid postings. Waze has the data to do this already and making it automatic will prevent abuse.

Flag known police hideouts is a great Idea! :)
LordVonZipstor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests