Better police marking: Moving or standstill

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Better police marking: Moving or standstill

Postby PhoenixofMT » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 pm

There seems to be some misunderstanding. The requested features, plural, (it seems to me) are the ability to report moving police AND for the routing server to predict and display the likely future position of the reported officer. The requesting parties know the position would be irrelevant due to the officer moving; they want Waze to develop new prediction systems to display, for example, a widening circle within which the officer is likely to be.

As I noted above, the amount of processing this AI would require goes well beyond the scope of providing routes that account for real-time traffic. This is not a trivial task for a single officer, much less scaling it to whole countries.

LordVonZipstor wrote:Flag known police hideouts is a great Idea! :)

As a former Trapster user I can attest that known hideouts are pretty useless. They can hide out in dozens of places in a small area, and you never know when they'll be there. The end effect is a LOT of clutter on the map. I looked at the Trapster map of San Francisco once, and the "known hideouts" were packed 2-4 per block! I don't know how it could possibly be useful to be told that the police may be hiding in any of a dozen places in the next mile. I don't need an app to remind me that I could get in trouble if I break the law on a given stretch of road. If you're that paranoid about police, I don't see why you need technology to to reinforce, or more probably amplify, your paranoia. Just remember that they are hiding behind every bush and billboard and you'll be fine.

The only potentially useful aspect of reporting police at all, is being able to speed as much as you want until you get to speed trap and slow down. This means the only useful report that Waze can keep track of is where police are stopped to monitor traffic. If Wazers aren't smart enough to realize that a cop writing a ticket with lights flashing does not need to be reported, or that a moving cop (even if equipped with moving radar) cannot be meaningfully tracked, Waze should just remove all features related to police activity. Frankly, I don't trust the speed traps to be reported reliably enough to not be the first Wazer passed them (and 80mph is fast enough for anyone) so I don't speed. Maybe the probabilities are better in the big cities.
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SpeedWade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:00 pm

I concur that a "moving" vs "stationary" marking of police would be a lot more useful than "hidden" versus "visible".
SpeedWade

Postby PhoenixofMT » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:37 pm

I give up.
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:42 am

Since this thread is now 2 1/2 years old and keeps being revived and beaten to death, I'm closing the thread.

Currently, Waze developers don't even have anything like this on the drawing board. Undertaking this kind of task would take the developing team YEARS to get it through to a released version, so there not much point in continuing to say the same thing over and over in this thread.

I will bring this up at this year's conference and see if they have any interest in including such a feature and if Waze provides a statement, I'll post it here.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Previous

Return to Waze App Feature Requests