Feature request: Filter audio alerts

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Feature request: Filter audio alerts

Postby nicnerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I am so glad that someone else posted this. I came upon this as I was desperately seeking to find a way to remove nuisance alerts. Last week I was really trying to concentrate on my driving during a nasty snowstorm. Every half mile "snow reported ahead" are you kidding me? I am fully capable of seeing the snow in front of me! Like some others posted on this thread, I have resorted to muting all alerts, which renders the app fairly worthless, I an thinking of just deleting the app. In addition to the weather, I am not interested in reports of vehicle stopped on shoulder, animal on shoulder, or really pretty much anything on the shoulder, because I do not make a practice of driving on the shoulder.
nicnerd

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm

While you may not make a practice of driving on the shoulder, Even "good" drives can become complacent while driving. Whether it be by radio, eating, using a cell phone or having a conversation with passengers, an Alert to divert your attention back to the road is certainly something that could be life saving.
Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:06 am

If you're not paying attention to the shoulder then I hope I'm never changing my tire there as you swerve to avoid a large pothole. Vehicles fully in the shoulder certainly can be a significant hazard to the roadway.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jedwards5702 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 am

Although some audio alerts may be annoying, other users may find it helpful. I think there should be an ALERT menu where the user can choose which audio alert they want on/off.
jedwards5702

Postby marmenjs » Wed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I would like an omniscient co-pilot feature, which is probably just a set of alert and audio filters and a stop daydreaming feature. I usually know where I am going and don't want to be interrupted with turn by turn navigation, but I also don't want all of the sound off. I want the ability to chose notifications as others have posted in this thread. I want Waze to do its best to get me to my destination without bothering me. I want to know what is important to me. If there is traffic I want to know where and how I should avoid it. If I am doing something stupid, like about to miss a turn, let me know. Like I said, omniscient co-copilot. I know this is asking for a lot.
marmenjs

Postby DavidMeyers6670 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:48 pm

Add me to the list! I was driving to work in the rain today and didn't need to hear that it was raining every minute or so. Alternatively, Waze could simply not announce a weather alert it has already announced within the last N minutes. Either let user configure N, or make it big enough to avoid annoyance; maybe 15 minutes or so.

I'm another who doesn't find the "vehicle on shoulder" alerts useful. Again, maybe this could be more selective. Maybe don't include them on divided highways; only on 2-lane roads, as a possibility.
DavidMeyers6670

Postby krz1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Most of the alerts are useless to me. Last week, I got six alerts for six different cars stopped on the shoulder within two miles. They didn't even affect the traffic.

I don't want to be warned about snow, rain, heavy traffic ahead, hazards on the side of the road, construction ahead, animals on the side of the road. Stalled cars on the side of the road or construction may affect traffic, but I can't do anything about them, right? If there is a lane blocked or a hazard in a lane, or a pothole, it would be useful to know *which* lane, so I could be in a different lane.

The best option would be (as jedwards5702 suggested) to provide in the settings to us a list of alerts and allow us to check boxes next to the alerts we want to hear. Personally, I would only like to hear:

hazards *in* lanes
dense fog
potholes
police
changes to my route (this is not currently an alert)

Other wazers I've personally spoken to have this same complaint, but weren't aware of how to request the feature. I think this is a much bigger issue than is reported here.

Thanks.
krz1

Postby Blue_TDi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Add me to this list as well. The multiple vehicles on shoulder and weather notifications make me turn the sound off completely. I wish there was a way to just pick what events I want as an audio alert. Perfectly fine leaving the pop up notification for the others.
Blue_TDi

Postby bomara2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:47 pm

AGREE 110%. Waze is a great app with a few MAJOR flaws like this one.
PLEASE PLEASE add the ability to turn off "vehicle stopped on shoulder" and "weather".
(the alternative is for people to stop posting these tags unless they cause a true danger to others - but that is not going to happen because people love to post things and get points. ;)

enjar wrote:While the "vehicle stopped on shoulder" is by far the most egregious offender, the "weather" alert can also be annoying.

On a typical commute of ~20 miles in the Boston area, I'll get 8-10 "vehicle stopped on shoulder" warnings. They generally are out of date and the signal to noise ratio is very unfavorable. I've disabled their display on the map, but they still pop up. They interrupt whatever I'm listening to and are making me contemplate deleting this app entirely because they are so numerous, annoying and generally useless.

The "weather" alert is another nearly useless feature that can also border on unsafe. By definition I'm out in the weather when I'm driving, so I'm not exactly surprised by snow, fog or rain. I can see those weather conditions by looking out the windshield, and if I can't see them, I likely shouldn't be driving at all. At one point during a winter storm I just turned off the app entirely because of all the "help" I was getting that told me it was snowing ... yes, it is. Now stop interrupting me so I don't slide off the road, thanks.

There are many great and helpful alerts out there -- object on road, cops, construction, accident ahead, etc. These are generally very useful and not over-used.
bomara2

Postby bomara2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Everyone should go to this link and search for "vehicle stopped on shoulder"
and vote for this feature
http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223- ... your-phone
bomara2

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests