Feature request: Filter audio alerts

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Feature request: Filter audio alerts

Postby jedwards5702 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 am

Although some audio alerts may be annoying, other users may find it helpful. I think there should be an ALERT menu where the user can choose which audio alert they want on/off.
jedwards5702

Postby jimmyobomsawin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Add my name to the list of people who wants more granular controls. I too live in Washington DC and the number of disabled vehicles on the Beltway causes Waze to continually spew useless information. Almost every major intersection in the District has a red light camera and since I have no intention of running a red I don't want to be warned. And I agree about the weather alerts, I am perfectly capable of seeing what the weather is like through the window.
jimmyobomsawin

Postby killerz298 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 am

bomara2 wrote:Everyone should go to this link and search for "vehicle stopped on shoulder"
and vote for this feature
http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223- ... your-phone

Done! I have been asking for this forever!!! Please let us decide which alerts we want to hear! I am sick and tired of vehicle on shoulder vehicle on shoulder vehicle on shoulder. There are ALWAYS vehicles on the shoulder on the roads I drive on a daily basis and it is driving me insane!

This topic has been locked, please post all further comments in the primary thread for this topic: Would like to disable individual notifications
killerz298

Postby krz1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Most of the alerts are useless to me. Last week, I got six alerts for six different cars stopped on the shoulder within two miles. They didn't even affect the traffic.

I don't want to be warned about snow, rain, heavy traffic ahead, hazards on the side of the road, construction ahead, animals on the side of the road. Stalled cars on the side of the road or construction may affect traffic, but I can't do anything about them, right? If there is a lane blocked or a hazard in a lane, or a pothole, it would be useful to know *which* lane, so I could be in a different lane.

The best option would be (as jedwards5702 suggested) to provide in the settings to us a list of alerts and allow us to check boxes next to the alerts we want to hear. Personally, I would only like to hear:

hazards *in* lanes
dense fog
potholes
police
changes to my route (this is not currently an alert)

Other wazers I've personally spoken to have this same complaint, but weren't aware of how to request the feature. I think this is a much bigger issue than is reported here.

Thanks.
krz1

Postby marmenjs » Wed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I would like an omniscient co-pilot feature, which is probably just a set of alert and audio filters and a stop daydreaming feature. I usually know where I am going and don't want to be interrupted with turn by turn navigation, but I also don't want all of the sound off. I want the ability to chose notifications as others have posted in this thread. I want Waze to do its best to get me to my destination without bothering me. I want to know what is important to me. If there is traffic I want to know where and how I should avoid it. If I am doing something stupid, like about to miss a turn, let me know. Like I said, omniscient co-copilot. I know this is asking for a lot.
marmenjs

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm

While you may not make a practice of driving on the shoulder, Even "good" drives can become complacent while driving. Whether it be by radio, eating, using a cell phone or having a conversation with passengers, an Alert to divert your attention back to the road is certainly something that could be life saving.
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nicnerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I am so glad that someone else posted this. I came upon this as I was desperately seeking to find a way to remove nuisance alerts. Last week I was really trying to concentrate on my driving during a nasty snowstorm. Every half mile "snow reported ahead" are you kidding me? I am fully capable of seeing the snow in front of me! Like some others posted on this thread, I have resorted to muting all alerts, which renders the app fairly worthless, I an thinking of just deleting the app. In addition to the weather, I am not interested in reports of vehicle stopped on shoulder, animal on shoulder, or really pretty much anything on the shoulder, because I do not make a practice of driving on the shoulder.
nicnerd

Postby noname_78 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Absolutely agree though I would want more fine control than just turning off hazards. I don't want an audio alert for the countless car on side of road 'hazards' but I would still want an audio alert for much more hazardous 'object on road' hazard.
noname_78

Postby notgreg » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:04 am

Menu -> Settings -> Display Settings -> Show On Map -> Uncheck Hazards

If it does not show on the map, I assume you won't be alerted to it. Although not perfect, it's the closest thing I can think of.

We should have more granular controls when it comes to the app. And it doesn't have to throw off those looking for simplicity. Other programs have basic and advanced versions of menus. They could do the same for Waze.
notgreg

Postby sternd12 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:22 pm

I am adding myself to this list as well. I recently drove a ten mile stretch of highway in the rain, and got nearly a dozen hazard alerts for rain. After every exit, sometimes in as little as half a mile, a new hazard alert would go off telling me it's raining. I think this is because weather events extends over large areas, unlike an accident or a speed trap. Ever time another Wazer merged onto the highway they would put up an alert because they were not on the road a half mile earlier to see the last alert. Some hazards are useful to know about, but control needs to be more specific/granular.
sternd12

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests