Feature Request (Avoid Dangerous Areas)

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Feature Request (Avoid Dangerous Areas)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Please search before posting.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:14 am

This too has been suggested before. Custom Avoidance is NOT supported by Waze at this time. This is mainly due to to the fact that routing calculations are done server side, while with traditional GPS units they are done client/device side. Routing is done on the server side to support the real-time nature of routing decisions as well as the ability of Waze to re-route due to changing traffic conditions. When done on a traditional GPS Device, the routing system is only worried about ONE user, but with Waze, the routing system is concerned with routing thousands, if not millions, of users - and if each of them had custom avoidance, the calculations would get much (exponentially) more difficult.

Once again, in accordance with the Forum Rules please search before posting.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Feature Request (Avoid Dangerous Areas)

Postby Brunocquevedo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Many people are afraid of using GPS's apps because sometimes you don't know if the area youre driving is dangerous or not. As I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, my worry is if the Waze app drive me to a "Favela"(Slum), as some people already did and some of them was killed. I think it could happen not just in Brazil but anywhere in the world, and i think its a good idea if you could just send a permanent alert saying "This zone is dangerous" or something like that. So when you were driving to one of this zones the App would say "Dangerous zone ahead". Or you just could avoid "Dangerous Zone" like you can avoid tolls, for example. What do you think about it?
Thanks for your attention.
Brunocquevedo

Postby mikeoconnornet » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 am

May I suggest another idea then, instead of avoid dangerous areas. We can mark a road as I never want to go on. this not only would allow people to make dangerous areas where they never want to go on, but also avoid places they don't want to drive for various reasons.

2 examples I would use

There is a road where I use to live that I would not drive down (druggies lived on that road) I would have marked it as none usable for myself
A second example is there is a toll road I refuse to take, but I am not against using toll roads, just this one. SO instead of depending on the trip and changing the "avoid toll roads" every time I start up the app, I could mark this one toll road as don't use, while leaving all other toll roads open.
mikeoconnornet

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 pm

It has been suggested before and if I remember correctly there was concern that such an approach has already be patented by someone else (Microsoft???) so Waze cannot easily implement such a technique.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Waze App Feature Requests