Enhanced turn detection using compass in device

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Enhanced turn detection using compass in device

Postby ControlNode » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 am

I think it would be great if the app made use of the compass to get quicker detection of the car's direction. This would allow the app to detect a turn without having to wait until the car is x feet/meters from the previous road they just turned off of. In fact, once the orientation for a device mounted in a vehicle is configured it should know the direction of the front of the car without having to move. Also, while backing up the car overlay on the map would still face forward and the maps would not invert from vehicle's POV. It may require an option in the settings to indicate the device is mounted or installed before using the compass so that if someone is holding their device it is not getting confused as the device is moved around.

In my car my tablet is installed in the dash and replaces all audio control interfaces so it is used for about everything in my car and is always at the same angle.
Last edited by ControlNode on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ControlNode
ImageImage Image
Home Area: Eastern NC
Devices: Samsung GT-I9500 4.4(CM 11)/Samsung GT-P3113 4.4(CM 11)
ControlNode

Re: Enhanced turn detection using compass in device

Postby ControlNode » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 pm

OK, I did a search, looked at two pages of results talking about the onscreen compass and locking north..
ControlNode

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:06 pm

I've actually suggested this to devs before. Not sure what the difficulty in coding it is but should definitely be in there.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby maalrivba » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:27 am

Hi!
I have to agree with you. Completely.
Everyday I go to school using Waze, and I have to take a street just below some other upper roads. Since this street I use everyday has traffic lights, most of the time the car is completely stopped, and because there is a big amount of segments (in a very short area) the client can't precisely know where I am, so it starts to spin until it settles wrong and obviously give me a new but wrong indications.

The bridges above does not matches my direction, so if Waze uses the compass as a new variable, the client might not be mistaken, and the route will always improve.
Manuel Rivera Baca. WLC y Administrador de Áreas: Estado de Hidalgo, México.
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1
¡México para ser el próximo país en tener habilitado la opción de Estados!
maalrivba
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby mattlach » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 pm

In addition to this, using the accelerometers and gyroscopes in most phones to augment the GPS signal would be a fantastic addition. High end dedicated GPS units have been doing this for almost 10 years...

I had 3 iPhones in a row. (original > 3G > 4) NEVER AGAIN!
mattlach

Postby tetfsu » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 pm

This is a HUGE oversight for the app (iPhone at least) in my opinion. Waze does not try and orient the "car" in the app to the direction of the device's compass heading. I can't tell you how many times I've fired up the app and started driving directions while sitting at a stop sign or red light, in an unfamilar location and the directions begin, but take me the EXACT OPPOSITE way I am traveling. This is confusing for me, the app, my passengers ("Way to go man!", "Smooth move Captain." ...oh how I love my friends and their sympathy.)

Anyway, if this isn't at the top of the Development list, it should be... "Make use of device compass orientation to determine direction of travel when beginning driving directions."
tetfsu

Return to Waze App Feature Requests