Better support on multiple lane roads

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Lane selection in reporting (vote)

Postby briedis_eugenijus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 pm

I suggest implementing ability to choose a single or multiple lanes (e.g. 1st, 2nd, left/right/U turn lane, 2 of them, all and etc.) when reporting an event - stopped vehicle, accident, object on road, traffic, closure, road works.
It would be very useful and helpful feature letting warned drivers to prepare and choose a clear lane in advance.

If it would be too complicated to implement it to work in navigation level when calculating route and/or visualizing it on map, in initial/pilot stages I believe it would be enough to implement in cosmetic level - just adding the information in pop-ups shown when approaching reported spot and when clicked on it.

If you like the idea, please give some votes for it:
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... -reporting
briedis_eugenijus
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Lane Closures

Postby callumjp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:27 pm

karlcr9911 wrote:There is a text box anyone could use to type in that information. I do it all the time. I report Construction on Road and then type what lane is affected.

The issue with this is that the comments aren't spoken in alerts and are too small to read on the Waze display (and we should be spending that amount of time reading the comments anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
callumjp

Re: Lane Closures

Postby callumjp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:29 pm

BabeJenkins wrote:I completely agree with this. The whole point of reporting things is to make it as quick as possible, especially when you're trying to be a safe driver and use as few steps as possible to report an issue. I don't see how difficult it would be to have a lane closure option, and then be able to say right lane or left lane. There are so many times I wish I knew in advance whether to get over into a left lane or right lane when construction was coming up ahead. In a busy city with lots of lanes of traffic, this information can be extremely helpful. I agree with what was said above, you don't see comments or hear comments while you're driving in the app. Pretty much makes a comments useless. The whole point is to be looking at your phone as little as possible, so that you can keep your eyes on the road which is where they're supposed to be.

Totally echo this. Lane closure / Lane no. Similar to the "my side / other side" option for hazards. Anyone that suggests this isn't useful is thinking about themselves only - this is meant to be a community forum and we all have different experiences of driving.

callumjp

Lane Closures

Postby callumjp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 pm

karlcr9911 wrote:So what if it's a 4 or 5 lane highway, which Waze doesn't monitor number of lanes, how do you report it effectively without adding in multiple taps?

Currently, Waze has no plans to implement a feature like this but you're more than welcome to follow the link at the top to make a more appropriate feature request direct to Waze.

Have numbers instead? E.g. Lane 1/2/3/4. A challenge for Waze's UX team, is it not?

callumjp

Re: Better support on multiple lane roads

Postby Camty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:11 pm

ORZ, 4 years ago topic. Until now, Waze still doesn't have the lane guidance function like Google Map. I like Waze because it can show a lot important information from other users. But I have to change to Google Map when I go to new place. In Singapore, too many roads are not only left and right. Even at one side, there may be 2 or 3 different exits.
Camty

LANE CLOSURE

Postby DamnYankeeFrankie » Sat May 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Sometimes the road is open but one of the lanes are closed for construction. Adding LANE CLOSURE &/or ROAD CLOSED TO THRU TRAFFIC would be cool
DamnYankeeFrankie

Lane Pre-Selection Guidance

Postby DanGliga » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:52 pm

I know the function from Google Maps and I think it would be useful on waze again especially on roundabouts when the road splits exactly before junction.

[ img ]
DanGliga

Traffic reporting improvememts.

Postby dfdk » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:54 pm

This is potentially not as much of a request for an app functionality but rather a request for the general behavior of the traffic reporting for those en route.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR: I am traveling on a five lane highway, anticipating an exit via a single lane ramp to another 5 lane highway. There are two sets of entrances and exits in a quick succession, within a mile distance, which during the rush hour causes the 5th lane to become incredibly congested (with an average speed of 2–5 mph, as drivers are attempting merging manoeuvres. Average speed for the stretch of a highway is reported to be around 20–30 MPH, and the speed for the ramp connecting to a second highway is reported to be around 10–15 MPH. This completely ignores the fact that in order to get to the connecting ramp one must spend 10-20 minutes of additional time in the left lane: average speed for the highway segment is incorrect in that it is an average and ignores outliers, which affects the actual routing decisions made by the algorithm.
This also has an effect in those situations when a major (6-8 lanes) highway splits into two 3–4 lanes highways. If one of the directions of travel has an unusually heavy traffic before the exit/split and another does not, a reported average speed is higher than relevant for those traveling with the heavy traffic and lower than relevant for those traveling in the direction of light traffic—these affects the traffic speed reporting miles prior to the point of exit, potentially forcing less than effective routing decision. This more often affects those traveling with the traffic, normally resulting in an incorrect ETA as well as a less than optimal route.

PROPOSED BEHAVIOR: Option-1) based on the route of a client reporting traffic, use the route of other clients to report the traffic condition to those traveling the same direction. Motorist A client reports 5 MPH traffic in a segment 1(exit lane), and then continues to the segment 2right(ramp) and then so on to 3right, 4right etc, motorist B client reports free flow at 40MPH for a segment 1(left/fast lanes) and continues to travel to a segment 2straight, 3straight, 4straight et. Motorist C, client going through on the route that would take them to a segments 2–3–4right has their client/app to report a congestion in a segment 1—route adjusted accordingly, those who continue to the segments 2–3–4straight do not have congestion reported to their clients as the congestions in the exit lanes of the segment 1 does not affect them.
Option-2) For the sufficiently wide roads, it should be possible for the client to tell whether or not motorist is in the left lanes or in the right lanes of the highway, in conjunction with the fuzzy logic and averaging of the data reported by multiple clients, and based on the destination and a need to exit or to continue by the motorist following the same road later, only the relevant congestion is reported and accounted for in a routing calculations. This might be better, as even those clients that are not being routed/not actively navigating can contribute to the average speed of travel model for any one segment of the road.
dfdk

Road closed

Postby DiederikdeBruijn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:46 am

How can I report that only one of the driving lanes on a highway is closed?
I can't seem to find that option.
Thanks for your help
DiederikdeBruijn

Re: Feature Requests - lane guidance and zoom-out

Postby docgspot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 pm

no excuse for this not to be added as most decent sat nav units have it these days. i would def want this feature.
docgspot

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests