Better support on multiple lane roads

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Lane Closures

Postby callumjp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 pm

karlcr9911 wrote:So what if it's a 4 or 5 lane highway, which Waze doesn't monitor number of lanes, how do you report it effectively without adding in multiple taps?

Currently, Waze has no plans to implement a feature like this but you're more than welcome to follow the link at the top to make a more appropriate feature request direct to Waze.

Have numbers instead? E.g. Lane 1/2/3/4. A challenge for Waze's UX team, is it not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
callumjp

Re: Lane Closures

Postby callumjp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:29 pm

BabeJenkins wrote:I completely agree with this. The whole point of reporting things is to make it as quick as possible, especially when you're trying to be a safe driver and use as few steps as possible to report an issue. I don't see how difficult it would be to have a lane closure option, and then be able to say right lane or left lane. There are so many times I wish I knew in advance whether to get over into a left lane or right lane when construction was coming up ahead. In a busy city with lots of lanes of traffic, this information can be extremely helpful. I agree with what was said above, you don't see comments or hear comments while you're driving in the app. Pretty much makes a comments useless. The whole point is to be looking at your phone as little as possible, so that you can keep your eyes on the road which is where they're supposed to be.

Totally echo this. Lane closure / Lane no. Similar to the "my side / other side" option for hazards. Anyone that suggests this isn't useful is thinking about themselves only - this is meant to be a community forum and we all have different experiences of driving.

callumjp

Postby callumjp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:27 pm

karlcr9911 wrote:There is a text box anyone could use to type in that information. I do it all the time. I report Construction on Road and then type what lane is affected.

The issue with this is that the comments aren't spoken in alerts and are too small to read on the Waze display (and we should be spending that amount of time reading the comments anyway).

callumjp

Lane selection in reporting (vote)

Postby briedis_eugenijus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 pm

I suggest implementing ability to choose a single or multiple lanes (e.g. 1st, 2nd, left/right/U turn lane, 2 of them, all and etc.) when reporting an event - stopped vehicle, accident, object on road, traffic, closure, road works.
It would be very useful and helpful feature letting warned drivers to prepare and choose a clear lane in advance.

If it would be too complicated to implement it to work in navigation level when calculating route and/or visualizing it on map, in initial/pilot stages I believe it would be enough to implement in cosmetic level - just adding the information in pop-ups shown when approaching reported spot and when clicked on it.

If you like the idea, please give some votes for it:
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... -reporting
briedis_eugenijus
Area Manager
Area Manager

Highlight turns on map

Postby Brad_David » Tue May 24, 2016 11:26 pm

It would make glancing at the app to figure out which part of a highway fork (as well as other situations) I should be taking easier if the turn part of the route were highlighted with an arrow like Google Maps does.
Brad_David

Postby BabeJenkins » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:59 pm

I completely agree with this. The whole point of reporting things is to make it as quick as possible, especially when you're trying to be a safe driver and use as few steps as possible to report an issue. I don't see how difficult it would be to have a lane closure option, and then be able to say right lane or left lane. There are so many times I wish I knew in advance whether to get over into a left lane or right lane when construction was coming up ahead. In a busy city with lots of lanes of traffic, this information can be extremely helpful. I agree with what was said above, you don't see comments or hear comments while you're driving in the app. Pretty much makes a comments useless. The whole point is to be looking at your phone as little as possible, so that you can keep your eyes on the road which is where they're supposed to be.
BabeJenkins

Add lane number for pothole reports

Postby b_blaze » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Everyday on my morning commute I get at least 6 reports of potholes on the road. Since it's dark outside for my morning drive I can't see the pothole. It would be nice to have the app tell me which lane the pothole is in since I'm on a 4 lane freeway. It would be even nicer if the audio alert would also include the lane number.
b_blaze

Postby ArtVictorP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:57 pm

thelordsmurf wrote:I agree though, there are a lot of quick options but a lane closure seems like a bigger deal than some of the other options.
I also don't like to mess with the GPS much while driving so I'd prefer to have it be really easy to report major obstructions. If it takes 2-3 steps then I feel like I might create the next reportable obstruction!

Or you could use the voice-command button to enter the description. :geek:
ArtVictorP
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Better support on multiple lane road, average speeds/haz

Postby APettyJ » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:50 am

Hazard alerts can be used for lane alerts, should even. People need to take the time to use the comment box to detail what the hazard is, not just click "Object on road". Use Text-to-Speech to enter this information without needing to type.

I do this regularly now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA
APettyJ

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:18 pm

You can add a description to your reports. I routinely add things like "Left Lane Closed", "Right Two Lanes Closed", "Right Shoulder Closed" - and I have quick keys for all of them.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests