Speed Limit integration  Topic is solved

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Speed Limit integration

Postby slandrum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Garmin is wrong most of the time, but it is definitely frequently wrong about the speed limit.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby antlive69 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:13 am

If the speed limits were posted on the Waze app maps it would have saved me a ticket in Mass. I'm used to the Interstates in CT being 65 mph but I was on I-93 near Boston and got nailed ($130 ticket) for doing 68 in a 55(I'm quite sure I wasn't even doing 68 mph but they know an out of stater probably won't contest it) If the speed limit was posted on the Waze map I would have adjusted accordingly to under 65 mph. If it had a warning feature like Navigon has it could have a toggle to shut it off. When I used Navigon I had it disabled because it was annoying most times esp when travelling local roads that I know. That's my 2 cents. Hopefully they will integrate this feature sooner than later.
antlive69

Postby AussieParis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:40 pm

I know people often drive faster than the posted speed limit, but it is still good to know what the limit is on the road you are driving in. As an additional feature suggestion, you should be able to set an alert that goes off when you are X mph/kph above the posted limit. You can turn this on/off, and also set X as a fixed number, percentage of limit, etc.
AussieParis

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 pm

antlive69 wrote:If the speed limits were posted on the Waze app maps it would have saved me a ticket in Mass. I'm used to the Interstates in CT being 65 mph but I was on I-93 near Boston and got nailed ($130 ticket) for doing 68 in a 55(I'm quite sure I wasn't even doing 68 mph but they know an out of stater probably won't contest it) If the speed limit was posted on the Waze map I would have adjusted accordingly to under 65 mph. If it had a warning feature like Navigon has it could have a toggle to shut it off. When I used Navigon I had it disabled because it was annoying most times esp when travelling local roads that I know. That's my 2 cents. Hopefully they will integrate this feature sooner than later.

Waze is a great app and already offers a lot of features, however, being able to tell you the speed limit I think is something it should not do. People want to rely on technology so much they forget that YOU (the driver) are still responsible for knowing your surroundings and being in control of your vehicle. Lets say for example Waze did integrate speed limits, if the speed limit in Waze is wrong and you get a ticket because you were following a Waze speed limit and not the posted speed limit, everyone would be quick to blame Waze for their ticket. God forbid, someone gets into a car accident and kills someone for following a Waze speed limit which is actually faster than the posted speed limit, if I were an attorney, even though the driver was in control of the car, I would add Waze as a contributing factor and list them as part of the law suit. Whether it would hold up in court, I don't know, but a good attorney certainly has the potential for a good argument. Look at the lady who spilled coffee on herself from McDonalds and sued them because the coffee was hot and won.... WELL DUH! Coffee is generally served hot unless ordered otherwise. Yes, this person should have known better that coffee is served hot but yet McDonalds still was considered to be a contributing factor to her injury. Same principal would apply to Waze, yes the driver should have known what the posted speed limit was but in good faith was relying on a Waze speed limit which turned out to be wrong which then leaves Waze possibly liable. Waze should not dictate what the speed limit is, the POSTED signs do that. Not to mention, speed limits can often change depending on construction/traffic/weather conditions, which would not reflect such changes in Waze. When in doubt as to what the posted speed limit is, most states have established limits for various types of road types. All of this (minimum/maximum speed limits) can be found in the states drivers manual which is the drivers responsibly to know. Drivers need to be responsible, otherwise if they aren't, they shouldn't be on the road. If avoiding speeding tickets is someones main reason for using Waze I'm afraid they maybe using the wrong app or method. At that point, one might want to invest in a good radar detector.
Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Fredo-p » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:52 am

I've wanted to request this feature for so long However, after reading many posts on this topic, and having an actual police officer, who is also a Waze user, reply on this topic, I've realized something.

Having Waze display your speed is an option one can activate. To have Waze be able to tell you that you are speeding or warn you of the current speed limit would be even greater. Sadly, there is one flaw that poses great risk for drivers. This flaw is how Waze gets your speed. Waze, like many other GPS navigation units, use a triangular point system and averages the distance between the unit and each satellite over a set amount of time to get your "estimated" speed. The flaw to this is that the satellites are not that accurate and give a rough or estimated speed.

The results can vary and sometimes not even work for some unknown reason. The responsibility of knowing and maintaining the speed limit is solely up to the driver. In the US, speed limits must be posted every X amount of feet/miles (I think). If a person has a drivers license for a particular state, they are required to know what the maximum speed limit is for certain types of roads (residential, school zone, construction) if it's not posted (I've seen this question in 3 diff states, other states may vary).

In theory, this feature sounds great. But in reality, there are just to many flaws, risks, and unknowns to think about and that is something I fell Waze doesn't want to risk the lives of users to find out.
The true purpose of Waze is to help you get from point A to point B by using real-time speed data gathered by other users and give you the best possible route. It's an aid for drivers. Everything else that the driver must do/know is their responsibility. Besides, having to remove my focus on driving to have to check Waze and see if I am speeding can be dangerous, when I could just look down and see how fast I am going.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Fredo-p wrote:The responsibility of knowing and maintaining the speed limit is solely up to the driver. In the US, speed limits must be posted every X amount of feet/miles (I think). If a person has a drivers license for a particular state, they are required to know what the maximum speed limit is for certain types of roads (residential, school zone, construction) if it's not posted.

All of this is true.
Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby usa_yx9azbfb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Reading this topic is a little frustrating, I mean this is the number one requested feature for Waze. If people do not want to use it for whatever reason, lack of accuracy, lack of trust, or you just want to be a **** about it then just have a feature to turn it off in your app and you can pretend it isn't there. Trapster has this feature and I loved it and found it to be pretty accurate, I came back to Waze because Trapster doesn't have a lot of the features that Waze does, to me if they added a posted speed limit on the display this would make the app perfect. IMHO.
usa_yx9azbfb

Postby S44NYL » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

I don't think a driver should rely on a GPS unit to accurately define how fast they are travelling.

I think it would be nice to see what the limit is for the road you're on. I totally agree that it's the drivers responsibility to ensure they are travelling at the prescribed limit. However, how many times do you 'think' you're within the limit and you are actually 4 or 5mph over? Even if it's not 100% accurate, surely an audible alert would be useful with a visual reminder of the posted limit for that road.

You could get around legal cases by simply stating that the speed shown by waze is not completely accurate. Using a Waze and the cars speedo is surely better than nothing at all?
ImageImage
S44NYL

Postby MGODLEW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 pm

capbat wrote:I have often seen ten's of kilometer or miles without any signs, so if you miss the first one, I suppose you have to guess your speed limit

MGODLEW wrote:When in doubt as to what the posted speed limit is, most states have established limits for various types of road types. All of this (minimum/maximum speed limits) can be found in the states drivers manual which is the drivers responsibly to know. Drivers need to be responsible, otherwise if they aren't, they shouldn't be on the road. If avoiding speeding tickets is someones main reason for using Waze I'm afraid they maybe using the wrong app or method. At that point, one might want to invest in a good radar detector.

Fredo-p wrote:The responsibility of knowing and maintaining the speed limit is solely up to the driver. In the US, speed limits must be posted every X amount of feet/miles (I think). If a person has a drivers license for a particular state, they are required to know what the maximum speed limit is for certain types of roads (residential, school zone, construction) if it's not posted.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby vince1612 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:51 am

After understanding that Waze uses real-time speed data on segments to calculate the routing I thought this feature would in fact be useless to most people, because there are already speed cams alerts to avoid getting tickets.

However I'm in Switzerland, and our country recently voted a stupid law that makes apps that report speed cams illegal for us... So technically we can't get warnings if we're going too fast near those.
But in our case, now that this law passed and that Waze is blocking the speed cam feature for us. I guess a speed limit warning feature would not go against the law and could be used/wanted by more people since we are left with no other alternative.

As a work around I could use it on roads I don't know well to make up for the speed cam feature block.. But not all the time and not on my usual drives.
Wiki & Forum : Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests