Speed Limit integration  Topic is solved

Discuss here any NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App,please read the thread called "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" just below before posting in this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Discuss here any NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, please read the thread called "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" just below before posting in this forum.

Re: Speed Limit integration

Postby ViVbe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Give a try to RadarBeep app on Google Play. Worth looking at, and does include a radar list for Switzerland (as many other countries). However, their policy for radar list updates is nowhere available...

On the other side, because "Y a pas l'feuu auuuu laaaaaac" you don't need speeding up ;-)
ViVbe

Postby huvince » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 pm

+1 for more alert options for several reasons
1. Where the authorities have lowered the speed limit and that the map's editors have not still had time to update the database. (lived)
2. In the case of a smog alert. The speed limit is lowered from 120 to 90 km / h. Waze doesn't generate a warning noise if you drive 110 km / h, for example, but you will be flashed. Because the police authorities have the capability to remotely control their radars
3. Idem for France, where according to climate conditions, the speed limit on freeways changes from 130 to 110 km / h
4. Or just for a visual check that the radar is always present

Sorry for my English ;o)
huvince

Postby uppps1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 am

What about outside USA... In Europe speed limits are very common for junctions, inner city (30km/h) and it would be very helpfull as sometimes the limit goes over several kilometers just with the sign at the beginning and sometimes its not clear if the limit is still valid. In such cases it would be helpfull to have the infos at the map
UpppS1
BM Sachsen-Anhalt
AM Mannheim-Heidelberg-Speyer
uppps1
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Zatnikitelman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:56 am

Even if Waze will never show speed limits to the driver for...legal? reasons, I think that Waze should still factor the speed limit into drive time calculations rather than just the average speeds. For instance, I drive pretty close to the speed limit. However, even on days when I hit every single traffic light just right and really don't have to hit the brakes except for the four stop signs on my route, Waze will show my ETA increasing slightly as I travel. If anything, I probably take some of the curves and ramps faster than most do though still at or under the speed limit. The only explanation that makes sense is that Waze is only looking at the average traffic speed (usually 5-10mph faster than me and the speed limit). I'd like to see Waze use the minimum of the two rather than just the average speed. I'm sure most drivers would rather beat their ETA by a few minutes, than miss their ETA by a few minutes.
I've learned to trust the ways of Waze!
Zatnikitelman

Postby ViVbe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am

I know it may not be fair to point to another app, but for this very topic about speed limit, I definitely suggest you to test CamSamPlus which is basically the same as the reknowed Coyotte, with a very intuitive interface, and the Plus version (costs less than 1 EUR) can be run as a widget on top of Waze (you can even set it up such that popups only appear when approaching a radar). Both fixed and mobile radars are available, with updates for mobile radars every 5 minutes. I agree their database for fixed cams is not always 100% accurate in rural areas, but very accurate for both fixed and mobile cams on major highways. There's a free version available for testing (but you won't be able to use the widget on top of Waze, although both apps can run concurrently).
ViVbe

Postby R1200C » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 am

Main reason why I ended up on this forum is that I also would like to see the speed limit in Waze. I've been using Sygic for years and there it works fine. I live in the Netherlands and we have speed limits for just about any speed you can drive. Yes you are to take notice of the roadsigns yourself and should never rely on an app to control your speed but even then it's helpfull to be able to check the speed limit when you have the time. Sometimes modern traffic takes your atention away from road signs.

Especially a community based app like Waze could improve a lot when speed limits are added. Members could help get the correct speed limit available for others. If you're able to switch it of (like in Sygic) you can choose to use it or not.

So if you're looking for people who would like this in the app count me in!
R1200C

Postby dontmapmebro » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Zatnikitelman wrote:I'm sure most drivers would rather beat their ETA by a few minutes, than miss their ETA by a few minutes.

Waze isn't as interested in increasing the accuracy and reliability of their drive time estimates as they appear to be in mounting a defense of their decision to stick with averages, which in normally distributed data are wrong more than they are right.
dontmapmebro

Postby zoltiz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:23 am

I'd love to see where speed limit integration is on Waze's backlog. It'd be an amazing feature to round up my favorite nav software.

Just display to start with, then expand to over limit warnings, customized over limit warnings, etc.
zoltiz

Postby grenness » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 am

+1 for speed limit data in Waze.

I see many different (and strange) arguments against it in this thread.

If you don't want your Waze to tell you the speed limit, or whether you are speeding or not, then of course it must be possible to turn it off.

To describe how Waze somehow could get sued for this - well, as another poster said: if Garmin, and Sygic, and TomTom, and probably many more, can provide this info without the risk of being sued, then why can't Waze?

Except for when you're in a tunnel, Waze will probably give you a much more correct speed than your speedometer which has been "factory set" with a fault margin to allow different wheel sizes etc. Typically a car's speedometer has a fault tolerance within 10%, but always so that it tells you a slightly higher speed than what is the actual speed of the car (so you shouldn't be accused of speeding based on what the speedometer tells you) - good for you, bad for the ones behind you with GPS showing them that you are constantly driving below speed limit ;-)

How to get the speed limit data?
Well, I would guess that on roads frequently travelled by Wazers, Waze could 'guess' the speed data based on historical data.
Local Wazers could probably help by entering speed limits in the Waze map editor.
But one other solution, that I would guess could work and would give 100% correct data, would be for Waze, or Google, or Waze reps in the respective countries, to ask the "department for traffic" for the national speed limit data.
This might seem impossible, but it's not.
Why should the government "hide" this? Their interest should be to share these data with as many (drivers) as possible - remember that the speed limits are not there in order to collect fines, it's there for safety reasons.
In Norway, data like this has been, and are still being, released in open formats (think 'set the data free') *, so I would assume/hope that Waze (and other driving apps/units) could use data received directly from 'the source' (but of course still with disclaimers that the Driver is solely responsible bla, bla, bla).

~Christopher

*: http://www.vegvesen.no/Fag/Teknologi/Na ... In+English
Last edited by grenness on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
grenness

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 am

grenness wrote:To describe how Waze somehow could get sued for this - well, as another poster said: if Garmin, and Sygic, and TomTom, and probably many more, can provide this info without the risk of being sued, then why can't Waze?

I'm sure there is still a risk, albeit a minimal one because they pay for the information and can reasonably assume that it is accurate!

As to guessing the speed limit, that's just completely unworkable. These data are useless unless fairly accurate.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests