Speed Limit integration  Topic is solved

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Speed Limit integration

Postby grenness » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 am

+1 for speed limit data in Waze.

I see many different (and strange) arguments against it in this thread.

If you don't want your Waze to tell you the speed limit, or whether you are speeding or not, then of course it must be possible to turn it off.

To describe how Waze somehow could get sued for this - well, as another poster said: if Garmin, and Sygic, and TomTom, and probably many more, can provide this info without the risk of being sued, then why can't Waze?

Except for when you're in a tunnel, Waze will probably give you a much more correct speed than your speedometer which has been "factory set" with a fault margin to allow different wheel sizes etc. Typically a car's speedometer has a fault tolerance within 10%, but always so that it tells you a slightly higher speed than what is the actual speed of the car (so you shouldn't be accused of speeding based on what the speedometer tells you) - good for you, bad for the ones behind you with GPS showing them that you are constantly driving below speed limit ;-)

How to get the speed limit data?
Well, I would guess that on roads frequently travelled by Wazers, Waze could 'guess' the speed data based on historical data.
Local Wazers could probably help by entering speed limits in the Waze map editor.
But one other solution, that I would guess could work and would give 100% correct data, would be for Waze, or Google, or Waze reps in the respective countries, to ask the "department for traffic" for the national speed limit data.
This might seem impossible, but it's not.
Why should the government "hide" this? Their interest should be to share these data with as many (drivers) as possible - remember that the speed limits are not there in order to collect fines, it's there for safety reasons.
In Norway, data like this has been, and are still being, released in open formats (think 'set the data free') *, so I would assume/hope that Waze (and other driving apps/units) could use data received directly from 'the source' (but of course still with disclaimers that the Driver is solely responsible bla, bla, bla).

~Christopher

*: http://www.vegvesen.no/Fag/Teknologi/Na ... In+English
Last edited by grenness on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
grenness

Postby grenness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:44 pm

dmcconachie wrote:As to guessing the speed limit, that's just completely unworkable. These data are useless unless fairly accurate.

I agree that it's not my preferred method of collecting speed limit data (getting the data straight from the government would be my preferred method!).

However, the 'guessing' method would of course need some nifty logarithms and logics in order to work.
First of all, the speed limits are of course 'rounded', in Norway (and probably EU/countries using Metrics) they are most commonly 50kph (populated areas), 80kph (sparsely populated areas) , 90/100/110kph (highways), with additions of 70/60kph on main roads that are considered high risk or when main roads momentarily enters/crosses populated areas, and 40/30 in residential areas.
My point is that Waze wouldn't only consider the average speed driven on a given stretch of road, but could/should also compare it to the nearest probable speed limit 'level' and could even take into consideration crossing roads (implicating a populated area, even a residential area if there are many crossing roads on a short stretch), maybe how the road looks (sharp turns, or straight runs for miles and miles?), and so on.
Also, Waze should not start guessing the speed limit before it has either a vast amount of 'probable' drives registered through the stretch of road, or a solid 'edit' in the Editor where someone with thrustworthyness has entered the actual speed limit, or it could add a feature asking through the app "is the speed limit here 70kph?" with a big YES button - where the driver is free to ignore the question and concentrate on driving and the question will go away after say 10 sec.

When Waze thinks it knows the speed limit on a road, it should probably not present it in the same graphical matter as an actual speed sign (black letters with red circle around) but find some other way/colors to underline that Waze doesn't /know/ the speed limit, it's just /guessing/ based on user data and feedback. It would still help me a lot.

But again - I would love to see the data coming straight from the source - the government.
grenness

Postby Guill007 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:25 pm

hebermc wrote:Calm down dude, the post before yours already sayd its being worked on.

Hi,
has anybody an idea when this feature will show up? As of 3.9.3 it is not there.
Cheers.
Guill007

Postby Guill007 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:41 pm

MrBertnl wrote:I would really like to have speed limit integration on my screen. Just a sign showing the maximum speed end maybe an alarm if you drive a certain amount to fast.
Many time I know the speed limit but sometime I missed a sign and then I could help.
I know sygic, tomtom and also here have such feature

Not paying attention to a known speed limit just cost me 45€ and a point. That's why I'm really really looking forward to this feature.
Well, I guess I should be patient for now.
Guill007

Postby Hal_Im » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:49 am

i would like to add, the police warning should increase fromm 500m to at least 1.5km as nowadays, police radar gun range can go quite far. for 500m detection its too near for us to take action i.e slowing down vehicle to limit.
Hal_Im

Postby hebermc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 pm

I think Waze is already considering to add this feature.
ImageImageImageImage
Area Manager Recife / Country Manager Brasil
Links importantes
hebermc
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby hebermc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27 am

Ressort wrote:I don't understand why people are saying that it wouldn't be a helpful feature.

Let me explain why it is a helpfull feature by a few simple examples:
- It annoys all the Waze users I know a lot that the speed limits isn't shown
- When you drive a lot (and I use Waze all the time) you often forget what the speed limit was (for example when you're in a call while driving etc.).
- Sometimes it's just not clearly indicated or not indicated enough.
- Sometimes there are too many signs (especially in Belgium) that it's totally unclear what the speed limit actually is.
- etc...

There is always an option enable/disable it in the preferences (everybody happy).

Conclusion:
No discussion, it's a must have feature which effects 100% of the Waze users! PERIOD :-)

Calm down dude, the post before yours already sayd its being worked on.

BUT, people have obeyed speed limits long before GPS was invented, so it does not affect 100% of users, I drive and never got a speed trap ticket, not even while driving in other countries, maybe you just need to slow down enough to be able to read the signs on the road.
ImageImageImageImage
Links importantes
hebermc
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby hebermc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:23 pm

DonaldKoenig wrote:I am glad it is coming. I feel it is good information to have if available. Also, if Waze does not have the information, how does it accurately predict time to your destination?

Waze predicts time to destination based on average drive time per segment based on users passing through the segments, it also considers time of day and day of week. The latest rooting algorithm will also consider holidays.
ImageImageImageImage
Links importantes
hebermc
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby huvince » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 pm

+1 for more alert options for several reasons
1. Where the authorities have lowered the speed limit and that the map's editors have not still had time to update the database. (lived)
2. In the case of a smog alert. The speed limit is lowered from 120 to 90 km / h. Waze doesn't generate a warning noise if you drive 110 km / h, for example, but you will be flashed. Because the police authorities have the capability to remotely control their radars
3. Idem for France, where according to climate conditions, the speed limit on freeways changes from 130 to 110 km / h
4. Or just for a visual check that the radar is always present

Sorry for my English ;o)
huvince

Postby i_am_steve » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that Waze can grab speed limit data from somewhere...especially now that they are partnered with Google. The MotionX GPS Drive app has provided speed limit data for quite awhile now and it's the one feature I've missed since switching back to Waze.
i_am_steve

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests