Speed Limit integration  Topic is solved

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Speed Limit integration

Postby Zatnikitelman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:36 am

If it guessed the speed limit around here, it would "guess" the 65 zones are 75 and the 55 zones are 70. I think the best way if it's integrated is to take user reports. So if I pass a speed limit 45 sign, I can punch a report for 45 and if it's different, it flags it and waits for more updates to that speed, if it's the same, then nothing changes. This would be helpful to define the actual locations of the various speed zones. I would also like to see a temporary speed limit report that requires less additional reports for those times when a construction zone has lowered the speed to 45 for a few hours.
I've learned to trust the ways of Waze!
Zatnikitelman

Postby ibgroovy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Waze is a fantastic app, but this (displaying the current speed limit) is one great advantage Garmin has over Waze. I have a permanent Garmin installed in my car. I still use Waze for most of my navigation, but the speed limit is almost enough to make me stay with the Garmin.

There are many situations when coming onto a road between limit signs, that one does not know the speed limit and cannot discover it before potentially being pulled over. Temporary situations like construction zones combine lower limits with stricter enforcement and higher fines.

The whole question of an alert that lets you know when you go more than a set distance over the speed limit is more difficult to implement, probably doesn't have as great an appeal, and can be saved for a future release, if users want it. I use cruise control for that, myself.

But displaying the current speed limit is something that is extremely useful in certain situations.

PLEASE, let your users start adding it.
ibgroovy

Postby Nuegrass » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:27 pm

I will +1 this request. I would be a great feature.
Nuegrass

Postby ashleyjguest » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 pm

+1 for this request, and the ability to turn it off like the "current speed" feature for those that don't want to use it. As an experienced driver I will alway use my cars instruments to measure my speed and use the speed signs on the road as an indication of the speed limit, but in my opinion this can be a valued safety feature that will assist driver.
ashleyjguest

Postby sten_svk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:26 pm

I support this idea too. I love speed limit alert in Sygic but I would rather like to use Waze.
sten_svk

Postby vfguy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 am

+1 for this feature. My Garmin GPS was stolen from my car and I miss it. In my experience, the display of legal speed limits for the road is very accurate on the Garmin. Also agree for those that don't like it, turn it off. Saying that there is liability if the speed limit listed on the Garmin or in Waze is incorrect is absolutely incorrect. That's what TOS is for and you agree to in order to use.
vfguy

Postby grenness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:44 pm

dmcconachie wrote:As to guessing the speed limit, that's just completely unworkable. These data are useless unless fairly accurate.

I agree that it's not my preferred method of collecting speed limit data (getting the data straight from the government would be my preferred method!).

However, the 'guessing' method would of course need some nifty logarithms and logics in order to work.
First of all, the speed limits are of course 'rounded', in Norway (and probably EU/countries using Metrics) they are most commonly 50kph (populated areas), 80kph (sparsely populated areas) , 90/100/110kph (highways), with additions of 70/60kph on main roads that are considered high risk or when main roads momentarily enters/crosses populated areas, and 40/30 in residential areas.
My point is that Waze wouldn't only consider the average speed driven on a given stretch of road, but could/should also compare it to the nearest probable speed limit 'level' and could even take into consideration crossing roads (implicating a populated area, even a residential area if there are many crossing roads on a short stretch), maybe how the road looks (sharp turns, or straight runs for miles and miles?), and so on.
Also, Waze should not start guessing the speed limit before it has either a vast amount of 'probable' drives registered through the stretch of road, or a solid 'edit' in the Editor where someone with thrustworthyness has entered the actual speed limit, or it could add a feature asking through the app "is the speed limit here 70kph?" with a big YES button - where the driver is free to ignore the question and concentrate on driving and the question will go away after say 10 sec.

When Waze thinks it knows the speed limit on a road, it should probably not present it in the same graphical matter as an actual speed sign (black letters with red circle around) but find some other way/colors to underline that Waze doesn't /know/ the speed limit, it's just /guessing/ based on user data and feedback. It would still help me a lot.

But again - I would love to see the data coming straight from the source - the government.
grenness

Postby MichaelDelman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Waze already uses speed limit assumptions. It has to, so it can figure the fastest routes, especially on sparsely traveled rural roads. But poor assumptions, especially when we cannot see them can dramatically affect routing.

I remember several years ago when Google maps had my road pegged at 25mph instead of 55mph. I almost didn't buy the house because it would take too long to get to work until I went there. The difference in speed took 15 mins off the drive.
MichaelDelman

Postby i_am_steve » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that Waze can grab speed limit data from somewhere...especially now that they are partnered with Google. The MotionX GPS Drive app has provided speed limit data for quite awhile now and it's the one feature I've missed since switching back to Waze.
i_am_steve

Postby ejsilver26 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

+1 for this feature.

I agree that now that Waze is integrated with Google, the functionality should be fairly easy to integrate. How does Google Maps calculate the time it would take to drive from point A to Point B if it doesn't already have that information? Does it just assume that each road is the same speed? I doubt it.

If I were to suggest a feature integration and feature specifics, it would be as follows:
1. Obviously a way to turn it off.
2. The option of switching from "average wazer speed" to "speed limit" to estimate speed. Obviously the "speed limit" would take into account slowdowns that were lower than the speed limit.
3. An option to have upcoming speed changed announced (a feature I would use).
4. An option to have Waze note that you are speeding (to avoid tickets). I would like to be able to choose between visual (turn the speedometer red) or audible (warning by voice or sound), or both.

I, as a level 1 waze editor, would commit to adding or verifying the speed limits in my area. I am sure that there would be a ton of Waze users that would be willing to do the same.

Just my 2 cents, but it is a feature that I would love to see.

Thanks to all the coders and contributors that make this an awesome app!

Eli
ejsilver26

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests