Speed Limit integration  Topic is solved

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Speed Limit integration

Postby DonaldKoenig » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Wow and thanks!
DonaldKoenig

Postby dontmapmebro » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Zatnikitelman wrote:I'm sure most drivers would rather beat their ETA by a few minutes, than miss their ETA by a few minutes.

Waze isn't as interested in increasing the accuracy and reliability of their drive time estimates as they appear to be in mounting a defense of their decision to stick with averages, which in normally distributed data are wrong more than they are right.
dontmapmebro

Postby Dzenhax » Thu May 07, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm glad this is coming. I'm a traveling salesman. The only reason I'm still using my Garmin WITH Waze is that it tells me what the speed limit is on the current road. I often drive for miles on the Interstate before seeing a Speed Limit sign even when looking for one (South East USA). Occasionally, the speed limit changes and Garmin is wrong, but Wazers can report changes. This would be cool too for, say a 70 MPH zone that is reduced to 55 MPH for long term construction as I-95 is in Columbia SC is right now. I'd love to beta test this.
Dzenhax

Postby eeschuler » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 am

+1
I would love this feature.
It would be very useful to know what the legal speed limit is in any given area I am driving through.
Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a report Speed Limit sign.
I would be willing to help drive around and verify them.
ImageImageImageImage
Bristol, VA
SW Virginia Area Manager
eeschuler
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby eeschuler » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Fredo-p wrote:How would roads with variable speed limit signs work? It would be a nightmare for editors to try and deal with this.

Well I won't debate the wisdom of Variable Speed Limit signs.
I'm not in AZ so I have no idea how they will implement this idea.
I assume there will be a Maximum speed limit on the road (which is what I would post.)
If they vary the limits on a schedule then it could be handled just like turn restrictions are now.
Yes... I agree that would be a pain, but it could be made to work.

I could also see a Speed Warning Place type.
When you enter the area the client could pop up a warning:
"Variable Speed Limits in effect in this area"
It would also work for School Zones.
"Entering a School Zone! Please Check your Speed."
Again this could have the option to have a schedule attached to it 7:00 am - 4:00 pm M-F
Or known enforcement areas.
"Known speed enforcement area"

Fredo-p wrote:I can't see how this is going to be possible for an editor to keep up with.

Also, trying to keep up with construction zones and finding out what the speed limit is for that zone, when it starts, and remembering when it ends.

In my mind the Speed Limits would be handed by user reports.

The base data could be imported:
http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/state-chart

Report of a speed limit outside of the nominal range could be required to be verified before being posted.
ImageImageImageImage
Bristol, VA
SW Virginia Area Manager
eeschuler
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ejsilver26 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

+1 for this feature.

I agree that now that Waze is integrated with Google, the functionality should be fairly easy to integrate. How does Google Maps calculate the time it would take to drive from point A to Point B if it doesn't already have that information? Does it just assume that each road is the same speed? I doubt it.

If I were to suggest a feature integration and feature specifics, it would be as follows:
1. Obviously a way to turn it off.
2. The option of switching from "average wazer speed" to "speed limit" to estimate speed. Obviously the "speed limit" would take into account slowdowns that were lower than the speed limit.
3. An option to have upcoming speed changed announced (a feature I would use).
4. An option to have Waze note that you are speeding (to avoid tickets). I would like to be able to choose between visual (turn the speedometer red) or audible (warning by voice or sound), or both.

I, as a level 1 waze editor, would commit to adding or verifying the speed limits in my area. I am sure that there would be a ton of Waze users that would be willing to do the same.

Just my 2 cents, but it is a feature that I would love to see.

Thanks to all the coders and contributors that make this an awesome app!

Eli
ejsilver26

Postby Emanuel-Petre » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Jesus,
I've seen so many stupid arguments against it and I tend to think people just want to have more posts...
Take it like this, there are a lot of navigation programs/units around, not counting the ones that come integrated in the cars.
The main reason I switch to waze is the user added content (traffic, police, jams, etc).
I think most of the people against this feature are young or never had the chance to see how a dedicated unit works.
For example in the summer I am planning to do am euro trip through different countries. I have done this before with my lovely unit running IGO, and although it has TMC, I prefer the content from waze, but the speed limit might be a deal breaker.
Let's take IGO (although all other navigation programs are identical), all the features I mention here cam be turned on or off independently.
Speed limit: audio, visual, audio&visual. Then for visual you have the option of always on or on only when you are above the limit.
The speed limit warning can be adjusted so it triggers +/- X % (or km/h, mph) above or under the speed limit. E.g. Denmark will let you 3km/h above the speed limit, while other countries will allow you 2-3%.
Sometimes you are in high traffic, you can't always pay attention to the signs. It might not always be correct, but I do understand that and I am willing to take that responsibility, unless you are one of those guys whom felt of the cliff because the GPS told them so, you should be ok.
If you have variable speed digital signs, there are two options, either put in the lowest speed limit or the one displayed most of the times. It's still your job to pay attention to the signs.
If you have low speed limit due to construction zones, you slow down and the GPS still shows you the general speed limit, since the construction is temporary.
Everything I mentioned until now presents how any other navigation unit works, and how people used them since the beginning.
Let's take a lot of the countries in Europe. Speed limit is 80-90km/h outside cities and 130km/h on the highway. Speeding more that 3km/h above the limit will bring you a huge fine, sometimes in excess of 200 euros. When trying to drive the speed limit, especially at 130km/h, will make it difficult for you to realize 3km/h extra.

All the features can be turned off either audio or complete.
Waze can continue route the same way was doing until now as it does a great job, no need to use the speed limit.

Sometimes even the GPS unit gets it wrong, especially when a road changes type, and sometimes on the highway I would get a 80km/h in a 120 zone, but I have a brain (a must to drive, at least in Europe) and I judge and decide if it might be plausible or not.

Bottom line, whenever you're not around home such a feature can help you drive legally. It should be able to be turned off and inaccuracies from time to time are acceptable.
Emanuel-Petre

Postby EntenWZ » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:19 am

I like this idea... with the added functionality of being able to set a threshold in Waze, say, 5 mph above the speed limit, where Waze could warn the user if the speed threshold is being exceeded.

Actually, I'd like two thresholds, both user-programmable. For me, I'd set one at about 4 mph over for a simple reminder tone every 30 seconds or so... and then a second threshold option, that I would set at more like 8 mph over that would be a more severe warning (different, more strident beep, and more like every 5 seconds).

Making it user-adjustable (including turning it off) would mean it could accommodate the differences among us drivers and our preferences and driving styles....
EntenWZ

Postby Evel_Knievel » Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 pm

We capture (users input) changing hazards. Don't see why speed limits wouldn't be incorporated. Yes, changing speed limits (electronic signs) would be more challenging, but in the vast majority of places around the world they still use old school signs. Waze needs to do this before the competition does.
Evel_Knievel

Postby faxtastic » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:24 am

A speed limit indicator would be great.

I often find myself not knowing what was the speed limit on that particular section of the road.
faxtastic

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests