Transfer route from Google Maps to Waze

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Transfer route from Google Maps to Waze

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:19 am

Waze isn't built for long-distance routing. It's focus is on getting you to and from work each day. When they are ready to tackle the long-distance market, I'm sure more features like specifying route details, multiple stop points, etc will be made available.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.1 | Waze v3.7.9.925
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 pm

That would defeat the purpose of Waze. which is to get you from Point A to Point B in the shortest time possible based on real-time traffic conditions (with "fastest" selected in preferences).
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:10 pm

It will depend on the map and userbase maturity certainly but in my current experience Waze is more effective than Google. And Waze can route via a specific point, we fought long and hard to have that functionality added.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Transfer route from Google Maps to Waze

Postby EdFromOhio » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Google Maps makes it very easy to tweak a long route to your liking by just dragging certain segments around. If the ability to then transfer that route to Waze were permitted, it would not only allow me to take my preferred route, it would also offload some of the routing duties from Waze's servers.
EdFromOhio

Postby EdFromOhio » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:59 pm

AndyPoms wrote:That would defeat the purpose of Waze. which is to get you from Point A to Point B in the shortest time possible based on real-time traffic conditions (with "fastest" selected in preferences).

That's assuming Waze is better at routing than Google Maps is, which is debatable. In many cases of personal experience, Waze doesn't get you there in the shortest time possible, especially on long routes. And there's no way to modify a route in Waze to avoid a part of the route or to travel via a certain city/point on the map.
EdFromOhio

Postby Mariton » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:20 am

I like the idea but I believe this will be difficult to implement in Waze...

Sometimes, Waze can offer several route options, which is a good point. An integration with Google Maps could be a way to add another option to the routes calculated by Waze, without removing the "original" options calculated by Waze. This way, the driver has more option but we do not change anything from the purpose of Waze :)
Mariton

Postby shellshock2872 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 am

Is you use the web site it and look for the address it will ask you if you like to use was
shellshock2872

Postby shellshock2872 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:21 am

Also so with waze you drive your route waze learns it, it learn my route to my dads house onlyb3 times doing it
shellshock2872

Postby slandrum » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:40 am

This can be problematic when there's a difference in the maps between Waze and Google maps. What if Google's route drives over roads that Waze doesn't know about, or aren't in the same location in Google's database vs. Waze's database, or Google has a different idea about turn restrictions, etc.?
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby slandrum » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Waze does not learn routes despite what it says, it learns destinations. Later when you start up Waze it will ask if you are going home, or to work, or to some other destination that it thinks you might be going to based on your patterns in the past.

You can drive your favorite route to work 1000 times, but the next time you ask for navigation to work, if Waze thinks another route will be faster (or shorter depending on your preference setting), it will suggest that instead.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests