Would like to disable individual in-app alerts (reports)  Topic is solved

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Would like to disable individual in-app alerts (reports)

Postby bart99gt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:15 am

vince1612 wrote:There are some rumors that something might be coming (no ETA). Can't say more for now.

Hallelujah! It is obvious that we all like using Waze, but some of the developers have got to be some of the most stubborn people on the planet!
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Re: Would like to disable individual notifications

Postby BendiniGamez » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:26 pm

GeekySmurf wrote:
woodjb wrote:This is one of my biggest complaints. I don't care about vehicles on the shoulder...at all. I would love to be able to turn off that notification. On my way to work, I pass a dozen cars on the shoulder every day. I DON'T CARE! Stop taking my attention away from the road to tell me about something that isn't really a hazard. I've started hitting "Not There" just to get rid of the alert and clear some of the clutter on the road display.

So because you dont like it you are going to lie about the situation which means others may not get the alert they want?

I think the feature request is reasonable, but on the other hand you can ignore when it says announces.

I do the same if the car is way out of proximity to traval lanes. Especially when there's a car stopped on an entrace ramp to a highway but it alerts when you're travelling on the highway. It shouldn't have been posted to the highway in the first place. (And on a side note, any way to prevent the posting of a construction alerts 5 miles into a 20 mile construction zone?)
BendiniGamez

Postby BeThereRealSoon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:32 am

I was wondering if it is possible to replace some of the sound files with "empty" sound files. I don't have the time or wherewithal to experiment, perhaps that would work as an interim workaround.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
BeThereRealSoon

Postby BeThereRealSoon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Wyldcat89 wrote:Perhaps I'm in the minority on this, but for the last month at least, I've not received any "thanks" or thumbs up for anything I've posted on my drives. So today when I got home from work I manually scrolled across the map to a hidden police officer I tagged. I saw two likes but they were grayed out and I couldn't click to see who they were.. and the notifications weren't in my inbox either. Same with a brush fire I noted last week. There were thanks but no notifications. I've sifted through every feature in the settings trying to locate the cause of this to no avail. Anybody have insight? I received these notifications before the lastest update on iOS.

Same for me. No thanks in about a month. I was wondering whether was just me.
BeThereRealSoon

Postby BeThereRealSoon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:38 pm

electrosaur wrote:While we wait for Waze I've resorted to a crude hack that silences the vehicle-stopped-on-shoulder alert. If you have a ROM unlocked Android phone (may also need root but maybe not) then it may work for you as well. YMMV and standard disclaimers. Waze stores a mapping from the alert text phrase to the sound file for that alert in a sqlite3 database called tts.db. Find the name of the file and replace it with a 0 length file and you kill the audible portion of the alert. Deleting the file doesn't work: Waze resorts to "hazard on road ahead" instead. Of course this fix will only last until the next update or until you change the voice. if there's interest I'll post the gory details and magic incantations.

Sounds very interesting. I would be interested in the details.
BeThereRealSoon

Postby BeThereRealSoon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:43 pm

taco909 wrote:
BeThereRealSoon wrote:
electrosaur wrote:While we wait for Waze I've resorted to a crude hack that silences the vehicle-stopped-on-shoulder alert. If you have a ROM unlocked Android phone (may also need root but maybe not) then it may work for you as well. YMMV and standard disclaimers. Waze stores a mapping from the alert text phrase to the sound file for that alert in a sqlite3 database called tts.db. Find the name of the file and replace it with a 0 length file and you kill the audible portion of the alert. Deleting the file doesn't work: Waze resorts to "hazard on road ahead" instead. Of course this fix will only last until the next update or until you change the voice. if there's interest I'll post the gory details and magic incantations.

Sounds very interesting. I would be interested in the details.

Easier to just go to settings > Advanced > Data Transfer > <uncheck> Download Traffic Data.
No need to root your phone or unlock the ROM.

That completely silences and removes ALL alerts, but navigation works fine, and you will be rerouted around traffic.

What I would really like is a verbal notification for red light cameras, but not cars on the side of the road. Silencing everything doesn't give me that. Your suggestion is what I do in the meantime but it would be great to be able to selectively silence certain notifications
BeThereRealSoon

Postby bighoffa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:25 am

i cannot stand vehicle on the shoulder alerts. love waze other than that. make it stop. is it really that hard to put an option to turn off that alert.
bighoffa

How can I disable alerts?

Postby billimek » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:06 pm

I've been using Waze for over 3 years and I seem to remember there being an option to toggle which 'alerts' you want to receive or maybe disable all alerts. I can't find any option for that now after looking through every part of the app.

It's extremely annoying to get a huge popup 'warning' me that it is raining. Or that it is foggy. This is not useful at all and just noise. I suspect it's a result of rewarding people with 'points' for reporting every little detail and, to me, serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Please give us the ability to turn off these unwanted 'alerts'. If I want to know that it is raining or foggy, I'll look up from the app and out the window as I drive.
billimek

Selective Alerts

Postby blu3boid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:46 am

I commute daily along an Interstate that probably hasn't been repaved since 1962, so pothole reports aren't news to me. It would be great if I could filter alert sounds, so I don't have to listen to "Pothole on road ahead" 57 times each way.

Please?

Thank you :)
blu3boid

Postby bluenoise » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:15 pm

I have long wanted to be able to toggle individual alerts as I also don't care about cars stopped on the shoulder or weather. Here is what I'd like to see:

Keep the three basic options for sound (Off, Alerts Only, On), but please make those buttons bigger (It's very difficult to safely change those settings as a driver). In the Sound settings menu, show a list of all alert types and put an On/Off toggle next to each type. That way, I can scroll down the list and turn off any alert type I don't want to hear.

Additionally, I'd like to have the option to silence the turn-by-turn navigation voice, except when being rerouted. I use Waze every time I commute and, while I appreciate its help, I do not need to hear directions as I've driven the route countless times already. However, if some traffic event causes Waze to suggest an alternate route, there currently isn't any option to hear about it when the sound is set to "Alerts Only." This means frequently glancing down at the phone to see if it's suggesting something other than my usual route. As it stands, it's too much of an "All or nothing" when it comes to alerts.

Lastly, I'd like more details regarding reported alerts, such as accidents, police, etc. When I hear "accident reported ahead," there is no indication of where it is or when it was reported. More often than not, I never come across said accident. What I'd like to hear is, "Accident reported in two miles at 7:53 AM." That tells me where it is and how old (stale?) the report is. The information is known to Waze, but it is not presented to the driver in a safe and effective way.
bluenoise

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests