Would like to disable individual in-app alerts (reports)  Topic is solved

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Would like to disable individual notifications

Postby taco909 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Don't forget the 20 "fog" alerts this morning. The only place they were legit, on Gladstone in Glendora, I didn't get any.

But honestly, the 1/2 mile advance notice for weather related alerts is not sufficient.
I can see if it is raining or foggy 1/2 mile away. So again, it is merely an irritating distraction.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 pm

I-Hate-Traffic wrote:
s2000types wrote:You obviously don't drive in SoCal. There is NO shoulder where you can have a car "more than a cars width" from to solid white line. Because of this, most of us have learned not to drift onto the shoulder....geez

And the right lane is for trucks and retired people anywaze...

Somebody forgot to send that memo to the truck drivers that like to use #2 on the 210.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Re: How can I disable alerts?

Postby taco909 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:42 pm

We've been complaining about this for months.
Just tap "not there" if it is not a legitimate hazard to drivers.
You can't shut off the alerts without also silencing navigation.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 pm

I-Hate-Traffic wrote:
WheelieNinja wrote:This is absolutely annoying. People are just spamming the crap out of it. Hooray, it's foggy or raining. You'd have to be an imbecile to not know that.

Yep, 60 Fwy eastbound (Los Angeles) 4:30 AM today. For 20 of my 31 miles some yoyo ahead of me was reporting heavy traffic along the route. I was 70mph + all the way in.

You'd think if someone is reporting heavy traffic but they were doing the speed limit that report would fail.

Must have been someone who comes up from Escondido and if they aren't doing 85 they consider traffic to be heavy ;)
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:13 pm

ryanburnett wrote:Please add an option to disable the audio prompt "Watch Out! Vehicle Stopped on Shoulder Ahead!"

Or...

We have three audio options:
Sound on
Alerts Only
Sound Off

I would be happy with:
Sound on
Alerts Only
Guidance Only
Sound Off

The philosophy at Waze has been to keep the app simple and to remove options rather than add, and there has been much resistance to "granular" alert notifications... we've been asking for it for a very long time.

Apparently, the staffers who actually use the app are not driving in metropolitan areas where you can't have a 45 second phone call without having 6 interruptions.

If we can't have granular alerts, just let us turn them all off but let us keep the turn by turn.
I have never once received an alert of any value to me. Detours around traffic? Happens daily and is quite effective. I don't mind seeing the alerts on the screen either... but I don't need to hear them.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:17 pm

I've had two very pleasant and quiet drives to work this week.
Settings > Advanced > Data Transfer > Download Traffic Info (Uncheck)

Down-side:
No display of any alerts at all on the map. Other Wazers are shown.
The problem is that closures are also not shown, so while the routing server works properly and will not route you through a closure, if you are driving without navigation there is no visual indication that you might be heading into a closure.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 pm

And yet we get URs from reporters unhappy that "Rain" has been removed from 3.9.4

They want the points, but I'm sure are as irritated as the rest of us at the frequency.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:10 pm

I don't even care about police traps as most of those that I get are dummies reporting moving police, usually the motorcycle cops in the carpool lane heading home from work.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm

JMFwzr wrote:And while your making it so we can turn these off

While? :lol:

Don't hold your breath.
We've been asking for this for well over a year and have not received a positive response.
Staff's goal seems to be to simplify the app and remove options, rather than to make it more configurable.

The wrong direction IMHO, and if I would rather listen to music than the endless chatter of alerts, I either shut Waze down, or set it to not download traffic data.
It still gets speed information and reroutes properly, it just doesn't display or announce alerts.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:24 pm

nocolorblue wrote:I badly want this feature. On a road trip the vehicle stopped of shoulder alerts are never ending and unneeded.

Settings > Advanced > Data Transfer > Download Traffic Info <<< Uncheck this option.

You will still be routed properly and voice navigation will work fine, but you will not see any hazard reports, or receive any verbal warnings of them.
Detours for heavy traffic will still work normally.

The main drawback is that, though they will route properly, you can not actually SEE road closures in the app, so if you deviate from the provided routing or you are free-driving without using nav, you may drive to a closed segment.

Every now and then I set mine and it is a very enjoyable, quiet drive to work where I can actually listen to BT music.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests