You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Alerts in All Directions/Median/Both Sides

Post by
As per forum rules I want to clarify this is not a request for a new feature. I know I have seen it requested countless times to have some alerts be able to alert Wazers regardless what direction the Wazer is driving, Such as Police sitting in the median of the road. However, I have not seen an idea proposed on how to accomplish this. I think I saw that Waze is working on this but I have not heard anything about an implementation date nor have I seen a suggested concept, I would like to suggest a solution that might work for them if this is not their concept already. I don't think an algorithm for this would be too hard to develop.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2eex0up.jpg
Essentially, with my concept, every alert that is reported will have a "radius" and if another road with the same level touches that radius, then the alert is sent to the Wazer on that road. The only problem I can see is being able to determine the threshold of the radius. But I'd say ideally, any roads within 50-75 yards would be included in the radius. I think the same algorithm that groups duplicates of the same type of road reports might be able to be used here as far as reports in XX amount of distance.

The report submitter should have the following options to choose from: My Lane, The Opposite Lane, All Directions
Last edited by MGODLEW on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by HotFzz
I like this idea a lot. If this isn't implemented, another solution (I know I've seen this before) is to also allow a "Both Directions" option or button when selecting a lane or side of the road. In the case of police in particular, they may or may not be in the median, but still have the ability to monitor speed of vehicles traveling in both directions on a road, whether it has a median or not.

With the option to select "Both Directions" or something similar, Waze could easily alert drivers going either direction on a road. Likewise, with the radius option mentioned above, if there were an accident or police direction at an intersection where multiple directions are affected, it could be used to warn drivers in all directions approaching the intersection.
HotFzz
Area Manager
Area Manager
"Nick" - Former Area Manager (Northern VA, Leesburg and Western Loudoun Area), Level 4 Editor
Please review if you're new to editing: Waze Map Editor Welcome! Editing Manual and Best Map Editing Practices
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ygnm ... ig%2B1.png

Post by HotFzz
Like I said, I think its a great idea. Regarding an intersection though, where 3 or more directions could be affected, the ability for a report to be seen from all directions approaching that area would be even more helpful. That's just my opinion. Has anyone heard of any progress toward this or a similar solution?
HotFzz
Area Manager
Area Manager
"Nick" - Former Area Manager (Northern VA, Leesburg and Western Loudoun Area), Level 4 Editor
Please review if you're new to editing: Waze Map Editor Welcome! Editing Manual and Best Map Editing Practices

Post by firetrucks
Still no results on this issue???? I really need the voice alert to tell me when police are on "the other side" and the ability to confirm or dismiss that location.
firetrucks

Post by epanther5
I am new, but noticed this problem the very first time I used Waze. The map showed an officer, but I never got the warning. When I got to the location, there wasn't an officer, so I clicked on him to try and say he wasn't there, but couldn't. Since then, there have been a few hazards and officers that I would have helped with, but was on the wrong side of the road.

This is one of the first posts I'm reading in the forums, but I bet requests like this one have been here from the beginning. Really wonder why something so obvious hasn't been updated. From a programming perspective, I know this is a simple change. Maybe something in the map routing or something is making it a complex problem. Has any of the employees ever responded hinting at why they won't make this change?
epanther5

Post by chief5232
This.

It seems like most alerts (hazards, police, construction) would be more helpful to post to both directions, or to segments passing through a small area, than to either direction alone. There is currently no way to post an alert to the opposite side of a split road, but you can at least take the extra steps to post a duplicate to each direction of an un-split road.
chief5232
Area Manager
Area Manager
AM: Indiana, PA
LG G3 (Verizon) / Android 6.0
Getting Started | WME Manual | Best Editing Practices | Common Editing Errors

[img]https:///2F37zR[/img][img]https:///ZPXMBb[/img]

Post by GadgetJ
I have a clarification question about the current feature. I do report to "Other Side" on a divided highway, just like the example from @MGODLEW, and notice the image shows up at the inside of my lane. Are Wazers on the other side actually getting the notice or does the feature not work on divided roads?
GadgetJ
Jeremy - GadgetJ - Work hard, WAZE harder

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
spookyx wrote:
MGODLEW wrote:
GadgetMTS wrote:I have a clarification question about the current feature. I do report to "Other Side" on a divided highway, just like the example from @MGODLEW, and notice the image shows up at the inside of my lane. Are Wazers on the other side actually getting the notice or does the feature not work on divided roads?
currently does not work on separate roads heading in the other direction (essentially if the road is split)
Yes, it does provide alert.
I have never seen this work, not in the US.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ

Post by davielde
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have never seen this work, not in the US.
TerryPurdue recently posted a claim that this works in some fashion in the US. I have not tested anything out and don't know his specific report type(s), but it may be worth soliciting more detail from him.
davielde
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by HotFzz
It seems to me, the original idea put forward by MGODLEW would be the best solution. I would really like to see it implemented. The only issue I see with it, is the same issue plaguing every other report type... people reporting stuff just for the sake of reporting it, whether its actually a hazard or not.
HotFzz
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by chriscompo
This is obviously a USA thing as the police in the UK have little side ramps just off the hard shoulder. And I haven't actually seen them used for ages. But they run in the same direction as the road with a little section to sit facing the road. They are sometimes paying attention to road or bored stiff and amusing themselves on FB or Twitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chriscompo