Waze-Too Many Clicks & Intuitively Backwards?

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Waze-Too Many Clicks & Intuitively Backwards?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 am

ysocolov wrote:
then Waze will not attempt to redirect you if traffic conditions change, and if you leave the route Waze will try to get you back to that route.

Empirically, I don't think it works that way. That way would be logical, but I really don't think that's the case.

When you select one of the alternate routes, that is what Waze is supposed to do, to a point, and what I've experienced it doing, to the point of doing really ridiculous things like going 1/2 mile backwards, out of the way, adding time to the route, just to try and include segments from what I originally selected from the alternates list.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Waze-Too Many Clicks & Intuitively Backwards?

Postby Desert1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I drive 250~ miles a day, so I need a good navigation application. Since Google Maps has eliminated many of it's great features and it's not anywhere near the app it used to be, I started searching for an alternative. I found Waze. There is a lot to like about Waze, but there are some interface issues that confound me.

Open Waze (Don't we all mostly use Waze for navigation?) Click two buttons to get to navigation screen

Type (or speak) in address (or cross streets)

Click on address

Now a little map pops up; click on go

Now another little box pops up with three options; send, routes and go

Click on go

And finally you're navigating

Two points: You have to make way too many clicks just to get started, and in the last step the map of your optional routes should pop up first so you can at least SEE the proposed routes the software is offering--then pick the one you want.

Now, once you're set to navigate there is no EASY way to see your route preview. You either have to hit the minus sign four or five times or go into routes maps etc. Way too many clicks.

Here is what I would like to see. Type or speak in your address and the app immediately takes you to the map view and then you can click on the route you want to take.

Once you're navigating and you want to re-check your route click on ONE button to get a route preview (the overall picture) in case you think the route is wrong or you'd like to take a different street, make sure you're going the shortest way, switch over to a freeway, etc.

Anybody else feel this way?
Desert1

Postby Desert1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:26 am

slandrum wrote:Click two buttons to get to navigation screen

You can do a single swipe right from the menu icon to open navigation.

OK, thanks didn't know that.

Click on go

Here it's actually already started navigating, and you can just let the dialog time out to go away, you don't need to click Go if the audio is enough. If you need to see the screen right away, then you do need to click "Go".

Minor stuff, but it saves a couple of clicks.

It's at this point I want to see the map with the route options. Not the send, routes go screen. And, if I do click on routes, I want to see the map not the list. The list doesn't do me any good.

First of all I want to make sure it's taking me the right way, and secondly I want to see all of the available options, but on the map. I can click on the route I want from there.
Desert1

Postby kd5nrh » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 pm

slandrum wrote:Waze is not currently designed to be a general purpose GPS app. Although people use it that way, its primary goal is to function well for the commuter, especially in areas with high traffic volumes.

Then, again we run into the issue of most commuters knowing how to get to work and back, including 1-3 alternate routes. An app to help them then, should just start up, announce which route is best at the moment, and shut up. Maybe speak up if conditions change, which I'm still not convinced Waze checks anyway. (I watched it route me into an already reported dead stop traffic jam on 121 while the service roads were flowing smoothly, and there was at least one other good alternate route.) Turn by turn directions on a commute are just noise.

I frequently travel to different destinations in the D/FW metro area on the weekends. There's a lot of construction that changes every decade or two, (Really; I moved 11 years ago, and got stuck in the same construction I avoided back then two weeks ago. I think I recognized a cone I ran over in 2001.) and traffic varies by the minute. That's where I want directions, realtime traffic monitoring and turn-by-turn routing.
kd5nrh

Postby slandrum » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:21 am

Click two buttons to get to navigation screen

You can do a single swipe right from the menu icon to open navigation.

Click on go

Here it's actually already started navigating, and you can just let the dialog time out to go away, you don't need to click Go if the audio is enough. If you need to see the screen right away, then you do need to click "Go".

Minor stuff, but it saves a couple of clicks.

One warning about optional routes that's not made clear, if you select from the list of alternate routes suggested, then Waze will not attempt to redirect you if traffic conditions change, and if you leave the route Waze will try to get you back to that route. Of course during the drive if you think conditions might have changed, or you've started to go a different way, you can get a new list of alternate routes but again the same things will apply when you select one. The default route that it selects for you may or may not appear in the list of alternate routes, but the default one is the only one that Waze will attempt to fine tune as you are driving.

in my own personal experience, I've found Waze to be pretty unreliable for long distance routing in the US. If you go through areas with limited cell coverage, or lower population densities, then Waze will not have accurate speed information and you may encounter map problems that generate really bad routing. Waze works best in heavily trafficked areas because errors are found and corrected quickly. I would recommend having at least one alternate GPS solution if you are going to use Waze for long distance routing.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby slandrum » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:21 am

I understand what you are asking for. I don't work for Waze and am not suggesting that the way it currently does things is the best way it could. However, what you want is a little off from Waze's goal. The initial route that Waze provides is supposed to be the fastest (or shortest depending on your preferences).

Waze is not currently designed to be a general purpose GPS app. Although people use it that way, its primary goal is to function well for the commuter, especially in areas with high traffic volumes. It will not work well for you at all if you tend to drive in areas with poor cell reception, or in more rural areas, especially if you are constantly going to different places. It will work best for you if you travel in areas with good cell reception and if you go to the same places repeatedly - or at least to places where enough Wazers travel to get good road and speed data.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Return to Waze App Feature Requests