Road features (or no-internet-available features)

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Road features (or no-internet-available features)

Postby lmpessoa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:04 pm

I've been using Waze for every place I go, but I've found quite a situation. On the road, there is no internet connection available (except when you arive at a city), but there are still errors on maps, speed traps and accidents that just have to be reported. Many people are asking for such features here and I'm adding myself in this essential request. Once my girlfriend and I tried to map the street of her hometown (which simply doesn't exist on any maps) and we barely added some disconected streets because having internet connection there is quite a miracle. If Waze could just store this information and send it when it has some internet connection available, it'll ease our job.

But there is more. Without internet connection, we cannot even ask for a route when we already have the destination point. I perfectly understand that Waze wants to give us the best route using traffic conditions reported by other wazers but it also has to cope with situations where no internet connection is available. On Waze's description, it says that it can change my route to avoid traffic conditions and that can be done once I have a route and on a place I have internet available. Otherwise I'd be just happy it'd give me a route. Any route.

Thanks.
- Leonardo
lmpessoa

Re: Road features (or no-internet-available features)

Postby lmpessoa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Actually the first doesn't give me a route. I always get a message saying there is no connection to the server and thus it cannot provide me a route. As for the thing with map tiles, I thought Waze had the whole maps on the device.

Still, I still need to report errors on maps, accidents and speed traps when there is no internet connection available.
- Leonardo
lmpessoa

Postby lmpessoa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 pm

That might explain my issues and also reinforce the need for more support for offline navigation.
- Leonardo
lmpessoa

Postby MGODLEW » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Already requested, SEE 6, 7, 8 & 15: Waze Wishlist
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby slandrum » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Waze will give you routes to destinations without internet connection IF:

1) The destination is already known to the APP (usually this means it has to be a favorite or a previous destination being called up from history). Obviously Waze can't go on the internet to get destination information if there's no internet connection.

2) The app already has map tiles in cache for the route. This will usually be the case when calling up something nearby or that you've driven to recently.

You can prepare for your trip in advance by getting Waze routes before you start the trip. You can select different start and end points in the app, not all routes have to be from your current location. With this advance preparation, you can have map tiles cached and destinations in your history so that you can call them up later even when you are without network connection.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby slandrum » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 pm

I frequently start in an underground parking garage with no cell or GPS, and have no trouble at all getting Waze to route me to places I've been before, calling up from my destination history or favorites. When I'm outside and have a cell connection and get GPS, Waze will then recalculate my route. This is my experience on the Android platform in the US, iOS may be different, and other countries may be different.

What will not work is to attempt to do a new search, or to drive to a destination that goes through map tiles that are not on your device. And no, the map is not always on your device. When you get navigation directions from the server, your device should update its tiles that are used in that route, and when you drive into areas that aren't cached in your device, it will also attempt to load map tiles then. If you drive a lot without navigation, you may find that your map tiles go stale and don't update, and you may need to force them to reload if there have been changes to the map in your area.

You will run into problems if Waze thinks it may have internet connection when it does not. Then you will get a server timeout, and may not get routing to your destination, even when calling it up from history.
Last edited by slandrum on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Return to Waze App Feature Requests