Avoid Road

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Avoid Road

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

In accordance with the Forum Rules please search before posting.

Microsoft hold a patent on an "Avoid Ghetto" feature (search "ghetto" in the upper right), so Waze can not implement this.

Also, Custom Avoidance is NOT supported by Waze at this time. This is mainly due to to the fact that routing calculations are done server side, while with traditional GPS units they are done client/device side. Routing is done on the server side to support the real-time nature of routing decisions as well as the ability of Waze to re-route due to changing traffic conditions. When done on a traditional GPS Device, the routing system is only worried about ONE user, but with Waze, the routing system is concerned with routing thousands, if not millions, of users - and if each of them had custom avoidance, the calculations would get much (exponentially) more difficult.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Avoid Road

Postby louisdimeglio » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:18 pm

I would like to request a feature which would allow me to permanently mark a road as not to be used in navigation. There are a few reasons this feature would be useful:

1) On my particular route to work, there are 3 toll roads that are possible routes. Waze always wants to route me on all 3. I NEVER take 2 of the 3 roads. Although I can simply drive the route I want, it means that my ETA is never accurate because it's based on the toll road routings and if there were to be major traffic on the roads I do want to take, I'll never know it. I can't just turn on "Avoid Tolls" because then the toll road that I do need to use is avoided.

2) There are main roads that travel through particularly bad areas that I would like to always avoid. They're a couple of minutes faster, so Waze always routes me that way.

In any case, I have been driving the preferred routes for months, but I guess the routes I do take are inefficient enough, that they'll never be learned, so this feature would make Waze a lot more useable for me.
louisdimeglio

Re: Avoid Road

Postby MGODLEW » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:50 pm

In accordance with the Forum Rules please search before posting as this has been requested before. Details for how best to search this forum are covered in this sticky note at the top of this forum.

Additionally, Please review the Waze Bug Reports and Feature Requests document or the Waze Wishlist Wiki for an App Request which is substantially similar to your own.

This topic has been locked, please post all further comments in the primary thread for this topic: Avoid Areas (High Crime/Bad Roads/School Zones)

1. The option to disable routing on to certain roads kind of defeats the purpose of Waze though. Waze's goal is to get you to your destination by the fastest means possible. Why enable routing/navigation only to ignore the suggested faster routes? Also, how would Waze go about implementing such a feature? Waze can not simply disable routes for everyone simply because it is 1 users non-preferred route. Perhaps the ability to record a preferred drive/route and save it for future navigating/routing would be a better choice.

2. For Waze to avoid dangerous or high crimes areas, a search using "ghetto" or "dangerous areas" or "high crime" will show you discussions about this. As for
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Return to Waze App Feature Requests