Feature Request: Fastest, Shortest, Smoothest Road Choices.

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Postby forserioussounds » Mon May 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Here is the idea. Most of us use Waze on our smart phones in a phone holder in your vehicle. Most smart phone have accelerometers built in to them. Waze already records our positions and speed data as we travel and submits the information to the servers to determine the most fastest/efficient routing. If there was an option for Waze to record and submit accelerometer data whether the road was smooth, little bumpy, or rough, we could have another option in the routing menu for, "Smooth" ride. This would benefit people who prefer/need a smoother route to get to their destination. Package delivery, fragile cargo, elderly people. And also automatically submitting that "pothole" you just hit as a hazard for other drivers.
forserioussounds

Re: Feature Request: Fastest, Shortest, Smoothest Road Choic

Postby forserioussounds » Mon May 12, 2014 8:26 pm

MGODLEW wrote:In accordance with the Forum Rules please search before posting as this has been requested before. Details for how best to search this forum are covered in this sticky note at the top of this forum. A search for the word "accelerometer" would have found the links below.

SEE:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=756886
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=729682
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&p=608714

Thanks for the links. I did do a search on "smooth road" and didn't find any posts close to that. I read through the posts that you supplied the link to, but none of them actually suggest the feature that I am suggesting. Most are just automatically reporting pot holes. My suggestion to actually making an additional Navigation Type to the navigation settings. The automatically reporting a pot hole is just a side thought for another possibility of using the accelerometer. My main idea was the smooth roads, which might not be the fastest, or the shortest to your destination. Most GPS systems have Fastest and Shortest, and some have Scenic selections for their routing types. I think Smoothest type would be first of it's kind.
forserioussounds

Postby MGODLEW » Mon May 12, 2014 7:07 pm

In accordance with the Forum Rules please search before posting as this has been requested before. Details for how best to search this forum are covered in this sticky note at the top of this forum. A search for the word "accelerometer" would have found the links below.

SEE:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=756886
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=729682
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&p=608714
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby MGODLEW » Mon May 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Hmm, I'm just not sure smoothest road would actually be a feature or if there is any kind of benefit to that type of route selection. I mean, technically every road is "smooth" Well...they are suppose to be. :mrgreen: And yes, I understand there are roads that are dirt/gravel or have pot holes but there is already a Hazard for pot holes & dirt/4*4 road type. Plus, since Waze's goal is to get you from point A to point B using fastest or shortest route possible depending on your settings, its unlikely to see a smoothest route in the future. Don't let that discourage you from coming up with new ideas though :)
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby papok » Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 am

Hi!
Well, down here in Buenos Aires we have a lot of old cobblestone streets, and I (and I'm sure many others) would happily trade a couple of minutes for a smooth ride.

Regards from Argentina,

Papo.
papok
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby pedro_quide » Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 am

Congrats ForSeriousSounds,
That seems a very ingenious use for the smartphone abilities.
I won't use this feature, but my dad would like it :)
pedro_quide

Postby SwenVandenberk » Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 am

Although a very nice idea, I think it would be tough to get good results in reality. Phones mounted in a holder will feel different vibrations or shocks as phones placed on the dashboard or some other hard part of the car.
Passengers holding the phone in their hand would also result in different vibration levels. Not talking about phones falling down when they're placed on the dashboard, that would report a major pothole in the app :-)
Different cars give different vibration levels on the same road and so on...
Area Manager Geel, Laakdal, Meerhout
ImageImageImage
Routing Team
SwenVandenberk

Return to Waze App Feature Requests