Button to reset current location-stop snap to road/nav route

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Button to reset current location-stop snap to road/nav route

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 13, 2014 4:55 pm

The GPS chip in our consumer electronic devices is not 100% accurate. It's not always possible for Waze to know which of two parallel roads you are traveling on (think frontage or service roads). To assist with this, Waze employs two functions I believe, it assumes you are following the suggested route until you deviate at least a specified distance (~250 feet) from it, and it snaps you the closest segment and assumes you are traveling straight along that segment until you deviate enough for it to move to an adjacent segment etc..

This causes problems two ways
  • If Waze suggests I enter/exit a highway which had a very near parallel service/frontage road and I miss the ramp, Waze will assume I followed the directions and now am off/on the highway which is incorrect.
  • When I am in a gas station or parking lot which is not mapped (no PLRs) and turn on Waze to navigate to my destination (so I can do all the typing and route selection before driving), depending on my exact location Waze will snap to the closest segment which may not be the segment I have access to when I exit the lot. It may be a street running behind the station. If I then move all the way to the exit near the street I need, I still have not deviated enough from the original segment for Waze to adjust and recalculate. This means I now have to start driving before the app realizes I'm actually on the other segment.
While these issues are happening it's not because the GPS location coming from the sensor in my device is wrong, it's due to the snapping happening in Waze. I can tell this is true, because while Waze is still showing my location on the wrong segment, GPS status and Google maps are showing my location pin on the correct segment. Once Waze picks a segment though, it takes a significant deviation before it recalculates.

I've seen many URs which are caused by one of these problems usually relating to Waze giving bad routes because it thinks the Wazer is either on the freeway when they really are not and vice-versa.

I've had some success in the past forcing Waze to re-acquire my location from the sensor by trying one of the following; searching for alternate routes, stop navigation and search for destination again, stop navigation >shut down app and restart, and toggle my GPS off and on (sometimes restarting the app in between as well). All this should not be necessary since the device (as referenced by other location aware apps) does know my exact correct location.

I suggest a button maybe near the settings cog or in the menu to force Waze to stop snapping to a segment/route, and reset my location in the app (it could then start snapping again to the new road).

If you need any more details explanation please reply or PM me.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: Button to reset current location-stop snap to road/nav r

Postby sketch » Wed May 28, 2014 10:39 pm

I think I would prefer if the "stop navigation" button could simply cause such a reset to happen.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 pm

sketch wrote:I think I would prefer if the "stop navigation" button could simply cause such a reset to happen.

At this point anything that causes this to happen would be nice. However, with the stop navigation a driver would then have to reset the navigation destination while driving.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fefeudeboa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Totally agree, big cities often have major highways with two, three or even more parallel roads and we receive several URs about this behavior.

PesachZ wrote:This causes problems two ways
  • If Waze suggests I enter/exit a highway which had a very near parallel service/frontage road and I miss the ramp, Waze will assume I followed the directions and now am off/on the highway which is incorrect.
  • When I am in a gas station or parking lot which is not mapped (no PLRs) and turn on Waze to navigate to my destination (so I can do all the typing and route selection before driving), depending on my exact location Waze will snap to the closest segment which may not be the segment I have access to when I exit the lot. It may be a street running behind the station. If I then move all the way to the exit near the street I need, I still have not deviated enough from the original segment for Waze to adjust and recalculate. This means I now have to start driving before the app realizes I'm actually on the other segment.

You may also intentionally drive through a faster parallel road to avoid traffic jams within the waze suggested route. If you don't take any actions to reset your current position on waze (which most users do due to safety issues in doing so), I believe it causes another important problem which is to assign a faster traffic data to the wrong road affecting the speed average of the road and the overall waze routing system precision.

PesachZ wrote:I suggest a button maybe near the settings cog or in the menu to force Waze to stop snapping to a segment/route, and reset my location in the app (it could then start snapping again to the new road).

Good suggestion! An alternate one would be to add a swipe right or left gesture which would make waze to snap to the next adjacent right/left road and then recalculate the route. Although mobile device GPS is pretty precise most of the time, it may provide wrong position when near big buildings and constructions due to GPS signal reflections. In this case just forcing waze to stop the snapping may not help. Testing both features under those conditions would have to be done in order to know which way to go.
Fernando - SP

[ img ]
Fefeudeboa

Postby mrTijntje » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:22 pm

I had the situation today and was wondering if this is already possible?
mrTijntje

Postby PesachZ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:27 am

Suggested on User Voice as well here
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Option to correct location if you miss an exit.

Postby oscargilfc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:52 am

Sometimes you don't follow the route because in real life you see the other way is better, you missed it by accident or you simply don't want to go that way. But GPS is not very accurate and waze suppose you took the suggested route and that makes you not to get new routes, can't alert in the rigth place, also gives wrong feedback about traffic.

The most when this occurs is in bridges, tunnels or very close roads, e.g if you were supposed to turn in a road down a bridge, but you decided to take the bridge, you won't get a new route until you pass the crossroad, also you can't post alerts because they will be in the wrong place, sometimes this lasts for miles.

A good idea would be a button to quick correct your location.
oscargilfc

Postby jsducote » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:16 pm

My recommended solution for devs is to long press on the map, add "set as current location" to the more options (...) menu.
jsducote

Return to Waze App Feature Requests