North at top

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: North at top

Postby siilhhhi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:14 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If you turn off the "map controls on tap" setting then the compass arrow will always show. This should help with orientation when that happens. Not a substitute for a real lock though.

I´m agree, north oriented maps are popular just for the reason that people cant remember more than some roads on appropriate orientation (north up is conventional). So "north up" maps are in usually in quite large scale and for everyday drivers maps with "north up" does not matter anything. If they are lost, there is no reason them to know were is north ... important is only right direction on screen. :roll:

But if you are "Crocodile" Dundee who always knows were the north is, then you do not need Waze anyway :lol:
siilhhhi

Postby mirarkitty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 pm

kriimsilm wrote:But if you are "Crocodile" Dundee who always knows were the north is, then you do not need Waze anyway :lol:

I always know where I am and where north is. ;)
But that's not what I use waze for.

I use waze because I want to know what's between here and there and the information that's fresh.

I thought that was the point of Waze? That's what making waze unique.

Otherwise I could use google maps (no problem with north up), locus (no problem with north up) or navfree (haven't tried).

But I'd like to read the map that Waze presents at a glance, and for that I want north up.

It's not like it should be a hard feature to implement... It's already there, it just needs to lock. :p
mirarkitty

Postby jackpin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:07 pm

:sad: why u no fix "lock to north" WHY!!! :cry:

P.S. dear "WEBPAGE ADMIN" ..on this forum FAQ on the "Why can’t I register?" take note to tell user to use the WASE app "login" to enter this forum.. i've been searching how to login this forum to voice this "lock to north" ISSUE because its been bugging me than found another bug! to login to this forum!
jackpin

Postby foxfoxfoxfoxfox » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Does Waze not want to offer an official response on this?
foxfoxfoxfoxfox

Postby mc1z » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:22 pm

thefoxbox wrote:Does Waze not want to offer an official response on this?

Good question - I sure wish we'd hear something. I just finished a 3,500 mile road trip and it was so ridiculous that I progressed very quickly from using Waze exclusively to just leaving it running in the background with the destination programmed and the navigation instructions muted so I could still hear the alerts, but using CoPilot to do the actual navigation and map display. That way, I could get the benefits without the annoyance. It's a pain to switch over to it to log incidents and fuel prices, but the four-finger swipe gesture on the iPad makes that a bit easier. The only other downside to this approac is that I think (but I'm not certain) that you might get fewer alerts this way - it seems to not be as "on top of things" when it's running in the background. But I sure felt a lot better not having to argue with it all the time. It's like having a stubborn kid in my iPad: I tell it to show North-up, and every time I look away, it switches back - there's no way I'm putting up with something that's supposed to be helping me arguing with me all day long about the way it's going to display my map.

If I could just get North-up to never revert, and get a distance scale legend on the screen, I'd be very happy with Waze, but as it is, I'm about ready to bag it.
mc1z

Postby mc1z » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Tentatively, the news appears good regarding the iOS update released today. Though nothing was mentioned specifically regarding the bug aspect of this issue, I drove about 35 miles today taking only two simple to and from work trips, which usually require half a dozen or so resets of the North Up preference each, but only required one each today (the initial one), with the new version. So I'm cautiously optimistic that the amnesia bug has been fixed. I've only used it on the iPhone so far - I'll try the iPad next.

Mark
mc1z

Postby walkinreader » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 am

It drives me up that after I tell waze north should be up, it often decides to unset that setting.

It's so damn frustrating.
walkinreader

Postby aigarslv » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:33 am

walkinreader wrote:It drives me up that after I tell waze north should be up, it often decides to unset that setting.

It's so damn frustrating.

This bug is noted in bug-list and we are hoping that it will be fixed in near future!
Latvian translation coordinator. Localization, Beta editor, Points, Client and Android expert. Content Creator on https://www.facebook.com/Waze
aigarslv
Experts
Experts

Postby sn000ker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:15 pm

aigarslv wrote:This bug is noted in bug-list and we are hoping that it will be fixed in near future!

Imagine someone spinning a Map randomly in front of you with the words "Now, go ahead and orientate yourself!!"

The missing lock on "North on top" is a knock out criteria for me, sorry.
I'm almost about to get rid of the app because of it.

Please write a short note, as soon as it got fixed, thx!

Snooker, Germany
sn000ker

Postby djlsf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 am

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I wanted to agree.

When I get in the car, I need immediate information on which way to get to the Bay Bridge. Waze starts spinning the map in such a way that I can't get the information. I close the app and open Google Maps, even though the Waze information may be more relevant.

Please do something about this.

Thank you.
djlsf

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App