North at top

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: North at top

Postby mirarkitty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:I know other people's brains don't work that way, and prefer and need Course Up maps, but I bet there are a lot of other North Up people in the world.

Are You?

Yes, yes I am.

This is my main issue with Waze. And the reason I prefer Locus or any other map application on the screen.

I have no idea what waze is trying to tell me if I don't have north up.

There's two reasons for this:

1) If I turn, waze updates slowly. This is partly the GPS fault - it's about 2-3 seconds behind; on bad reception (cities in the north, where I'm usually driving) waze can take 10 seconds to realize I turned, about the time I need to know where to take the next turn. I then have to manually figure out where waze thinks I am, where I am on the map (which is in a random direction), where I'm supposed to turn. Because of bad GPS I can't trust Waze to tell me what to do when I need it...
It also shifts me to other streets and directions randomly from just standing still in a crossing. Good luck figuring out where to drive then...

2) I'm one of those people who can read a map, but not if it's turned randomly. I have a pretty absolute sense of direction - I know where north it, so if the map turns as well, I can't use it without rethinking the map.

If the argument is still that waze is a turn-by-turn application, then fine, I wont ever try to use waze again. I was looking for a navigation app that gave me a map with information that helps me take the decisions I need to get where I want, not something that reads a bad GPS and decides for me...

(Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive, but this has been a constant complaint since Waze started and I don't think it will ever be implemented.)
mirarkitty

Postby mirarkitty » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Actually, I think the current north-up button sometimes is worse than useless -
I push it, think that the north is up, look away, look at the map, and gets really confused. :p
mirarkitty

Postby mirarkitty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 pm

kriimsilm wrote:But if you are "Crocodile" Dundee who always knows were the north is, then you do not need Waze anyway :lol:

I always know where I am and where north is. ;)
But that's not what I use waze for.

I use waze because I want to know what's between here and there and the information that's fresh.

I thought that was the point of Waze? That's what making waze unique.

Otherwise I could use google maps (no problem with north up), locus (no problem with north up) or navfree (haven't tried).

But I'd like to read the map that Waze presents at a glance, and for that I want north up.

It's not like it should be a hard feature to implement... It's already there, it just needs to lock. :p
mirarkitty

Postby mirarkitty » Fri May 03, 2013 10:11 am

Any progress on this? I know it's only been a little over one and a half year, but some sort of official response would be nice.

(I personally suspect Waze fired all their actual developers in 2011 and can't add any features.)
mirarkitty

Postby mirarkitty » Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 am

Yay! Now I have to try remember where to grab the beta...
mirarkitty

Postby nil0lab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 pm

This is late, but thank you, waze developers, for addressing this. No longer will Waze clobber my sense of direction by spinning the map on me.

One more quibble- since I log in, would it be so hard for you to save my settings? That way, when I get a new device, it could lock north and turn down the volume for me when I log in, and I wouldn't have to find where in the settings the lock-north mode is yet again

(For the rest of you, and for my future self, let me note here that (a) 2-D mode is under Display, and (b) Lock-North mode is under Advanced)
nil0lab

Postby oldgnome » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:30 pm

mc1z wrote:(I had a passenger a couple weeks ago who literally said the iPad map rotating wildly about when I made a turn almost made him sick to the stomach - he had to look away... So, see, now I've made a case for non-north-up being a safety hazard! :mrgreen: )

Seriously?

Who STARES at an iPad screen in a moving car?
oldgnome

Postby oldgnome » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 pm

mc1z wrote:Um, people intrigued with the technology (in this case) - a good thing, right?

Um, people trying to find something - that's what's it's for, right?

Um, people who're looking to see who else is around - that's why they're shown, right?

I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

And of course I'm talking about passengers - but you knew that, right?

You're missing my point. Staring (not looking, not peering, not trying to find something) will lead to nausea ("motion sickness") in a moving vehicle.

If the moving image is causing a problem....stop starting at the iPad....
oldgnome

Postby petervdveen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 am

bgodette wrote:
AlanisOfTheBerg wrote:I'm pretty sure, but could be wrong, that the current 2.4 version has Weather as an option under Hazard reporting. I know for certain that the beta 2.9 does and has Weather options currently for Forg, Hail, Heavy Rain, Heavy Snow. Looks like "ice" would be a good addition.
But does the weather still only fall on one side of the road?

I'm not sure, but I think it gives a message as soon as your in a 600 meter radius.
When I post a weather warning I also get the warning 'hazard ahead'.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby RallyChris » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm

I live in Oregon... I can't see the sun, so don't know which way is North :)
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App