North at top

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: North at top

Postby mc1z » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Just so the Waze team understands why I'm frustrated with this, while it's fresh on my mind, I'm relating my experience from this morning. I went for a short drive of less than 15 miles round trip, to treat my family to lattes. It that short distance, I had to reset the orientation of Waze to North-Up 9 times - NINE times.

If I only had to do this once when I first start a Waze session, or after restarting it, or once every few hours, I wouldn't be complaining. (It would still be dumb, but I wouldn't be complaining...) (I will admit that this morning's trip was worse than usual, which is why I started counting after the third reset, but I'm pretty sure it also was by no means the worst I've ever experienced, either.)

So, assuming there's not a willingness to fix the major issue by giving us a "permanent" setting option, can we at least acknowledge the Alzheimer's condition and give it some medication?
mc1z

Postby sblackketter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am

I'd also like to be counted as a user who would greatly value a lock on North Up! Its annoying to have to keep switching it back on. Thanks!
sblackketter

Postby robsilve » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Please add the ability to LOCK north up. The lack of ability to lock this in is extremely annoying and seems like it should be a basic preference...
robsilve

Postby laspurs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:31 pm

I really want this too. Thanks. :mrgreen:
Image We're the L.A. we're the L.A. we're the L.A. Tottenham Image
laspurs

Postby mirarkitty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:I know other people's brains don't work that way, and prefer and need Course Up maps, but I bet there are a lot of other North Up people in the world.

Are You?

Yes, yes I am.

This is my main issue with Waze. And the reason I prefer Locus or any other map application on the screen.

I have no idea what waze is trying to tell me if I don't have north up.

There's two reasons for this:

1) If I turn, waze updates slowly. This is partly the GPS fault - it's about 2-3 seconds behind; on bad reception (cities in the north, where I'm usually driving) waze can take 10 seconds to realize I turned, about the time I need to know where to take the next turn. I then have to manually figure out where waze thinks I am, where I am on the map (which is in a random direction), where I'm supposed to turn. Because of bad GPS I can't trust Waze to tell me what to do when I need it...
It also shifts me to other streets and directions randomly from just standing still in a crossing. Good luck figuring out where to drive then...

2) I'm one of those people who can read a map, but not if it's turned randomly. I have a pretty absolute sense of direction - I know where north it, so if the map turns as well, I can't use it without rethinking the map.

If the argument is still that waze is a turn-by-turn application, then fine, I wont ever try to use waze again. I was looking for a navigation app that gave me a map with information that helps me take the decisions I need to get where I want, not something that reads a bad GPS and decides for me...

(Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive, but this has been a constant complaint since Waze started and I don't think it will ever be implemented.)
mirarkitty

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Mirarkitty wrote:If the argument is still that waze is a turn-by-turn application, then fine, I wont ever try to use waze again. I was looking for a navigation app that gave me a map with information that helps me take the decisions I need to get where I want, not something that reads a bad GPS and decides for me...

That is kind of exactly the point of a GPS navigation app, which is what Waze is. That being said, I totally agree with you and everyone else who feel that if Waze has a north up feature, it should stick to north up ALL THE TIME when selected.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mc1z » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:05 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:That is kind of exactly the point of a GPS navigation app, which is what Waze is. That being said, I totally agree with you and everyone else who feel that if Waze has a north up feature, it should stick to north up ALL THE TIME when selected.

Alan, I really appreciate the way you worded that, because it clarifies it a bit in my head, too. I had frankly been dividing this into two different things:

1) A new feature which would allow "North Up" to be selected in Settings.

2) An existing bug which results in Waze "forgetting" that you selected that in the on-screen pop up. (There were several times on a trip yesterday that I had to re-select North Up 4 to 6 times within a 30-second period of time, because it kept insisting on going back to "direction of travel up".)

I actually think I like your summation of it better, but I would still like a preferences setting that makes Waze stay in North up mode all the time.

Mark
mc1z

Postby alonsotorres » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Please, please, please... have a way to LOCK the North Up view.
I know you can tap the arrow to have the map rotate to north, but this setting get lost soooo easy, any touch to the screen and it gets back to normal setting.
alonsotorres

Postby mirarkitty » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Actually, I think the current north-up button sometimes is worse than useless -
I push it, think that the north is up, look away, look at the map, and gets really confused. :p
mirarkitty

North at top

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:38 pm

If you turn off the "map controls on tap" setting then the compass arrow will always show. This should help with orientation when that happens. Not a substitute for a real lock though.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App