Color schemes thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby taco909 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:19 am

PesachZ wrote:The workaround for togellis is called "root access"
The only other option would have to be implemented by Waze. I did mention it to the Devs, but it's not a priority.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

Ahh... so the parent app may grant permissions.
Would it be possible to grant permissions for general access for manual editing like we used to have, or is it an app-by-app basis?

I'd really prefer to regain the ability to manually work with the files from the desktop. Toggelis is great, but some options are missing, such as the ability to turn on hidden features like runways.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 am
Location: Los Angeles Area
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby PesachZ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:12 am

taco909 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Each app gets its own sandboxed protected file storage area in Android 6.0+. If the app wants to access regular storage it needs to ask for a special permission. But each app automatically gets permission to access its own files. This is why waze can access the skins, but other apps can't access waze skins.

Smart from a virus protection standpoint.
Is there any workaround that could be programmed into Toggelis?

The workaround for togellis is called "root access"
The only other option would have to be implemented by Waze. I did mention it to the Devs, but it's not a priority.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC} {ARC}
Has thanked: 1992 times
Been thanked: 2252 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby AndyLaode » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:13 am

taco909 wrote:
AndyLaode wrote:when i change the station color, all places also change color (sigh).... i thought station is only for gas station

I think the nomenclature is due to a language/translation issue with "station" meaning "place", similar to "Woods" being used for "Park"

The app does not have separate color options for Gas Station vs other area place, only Water and Parks.



I lost in translation :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyLaode
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 am
Location: on my way from my house to insanity
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 246 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby taco909 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 am

PesachZ wrote:Each app gets its own sandboxed protected file storage area in Android 6.0+. If the app wants to access regular storage it needs to ask for a special permission. But each app automatically gets permission to access its own files. This is why waze can access the skins, but other apps can't access waze skins.

Smart from a virus protection standpoint.
Is there any workaround that could be programmed into Toggelis?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 am
Location: Los Angeles Area
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby PesachZ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:08 pm

taco909 wrote:
shalafi wrote:Dear me, I just wanted to get back to my old night colors and was greeted by a b&w broken map. It turns out if you replace the schema file that is currently being used, it gets broken .. and stays broken until you reinstall :/ ugh. Not sure how long ago I tried that last time, must have been version pre-4.0, but it certainly did not break the client back then.

The pre-4.0 maps will not work on 4.0+

There is an issue with Android where the schema are not contained in a protected folder and we can no longer access them without a root.
I have no idea why Android would have done this, or what Waze or other apps do to allow access to that folder when the color changing app can't.

Each app gets its own sandboxed protected file storage area in Android 6.0+. If the app wants to access regular storage it needs to ask for a special permission. But each app automatically gets permission to access its own files. This is why waze can access the skins, but other apps can't access waze skins.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC} {ARC}
Has thanked: 1992 times
Been thanked: 2252 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby taco909 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:09 pm

shalafi wrote:Dear me, I just wanted to get back to my old night colors and was greeted by a b&w broken map. It turns out if you replace the schema file that is currently being used, it gets broken .. and stays broken until you reinstall :/ ugh. Not sure how long ago I tried that last time, must have been version pre-4.0, but it certainly did not break the client back then.

The pre-4.0 maps will not work on 4.0+

There is an issue with Android where the schema are not contained in a protected folder and we can no longer access them without a root.
I have no idea why Android would have done this, or what Waze or other apps do to allow access to that folder when the color changing app can't.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 am
Location: Los Angeles Area
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby taco909 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

AndyLaode wrote:when i change the station color, all places also change color (sigh).... i thought station is only for gas station

I think the nomenclature is due to a language/translation issue with "station" meaning "place", similar to "Woods" being used for "Park"

The app does not have separate color options for Gas Station vs other area place, only Water and Parks.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 am
Location: Los Angeles Area
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby AndyLaode » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 pm

when i change the station color, all places also change color (sigh).... i thought station is only for gas station
AndyLaode
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 am
Location: on my way from my house to insanity
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 246 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby foxitrot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 am

Would anyone mind creating a Speed Limit color scheme?

(Just kidding )

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Slovakia
Has thanked: 2489 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby fuchserl » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't think the reason for your broken colors is the replacing of the scheme file.
I do that all the time that I change scheme files while waze is running and it works without problems. The scheme files are loaded when waze is started and you can delete or change the files after that.

What you experienced sounds more like the black and white map bug. A ##@resetapp or a clean install are the only things that help there.
fuchserl
Map Editor - Level 6
Map Editor - Level 6
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Salzburg, Austria
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 380 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]