Color schemes thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby taco909 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

AndyLaode wrote:when i change the station color, all places also change color (sigh).... i thought station is only for gas station

I think the nomenclature is due to a language/translation issue with "station" meaning "place", similar to "Woods" being used for "Park"

The app does not have separate color options for Gas Station vs other area place, only Water and Parks.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 pm

jgreg7 wrote:Two items:

It would be nice to have multiple choices of the map color schemes. The schemes posted here are nice, however there does not seem to be any instructions for actually implementing these in the Waze app (I use an iPhone 6). The version I have has only two choices for color schemes (default, map editors). The default is low contrast and difficult to see, the map editors color scheme blocks out the traffic colors. Look at Google maps basic color scheme when showing the traffic layer turned on - clear, and easy to read.

Each "factory" color scheme is in a different folder under Waze/Skins (depending on the app version and OS).
Somewhere you'll find a pair of folders, "Default" and "Night"
Default will contain from 1 to 12 folders. Each corresponds to a different daytime color schema.
Night is all we have available, so for a custom color schema, I personally took my favorite daytime pattern which is based on WME, blackened the background, changed the segment borders from black to white, then dropped the brightness on the segments and areas.

My only remaining problem is getting runways to properly render with a narrow yellow centerline and fat black main line like PZ's schema... this is the only thing keeping me from "releasing" my current schema.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:23 pm

fuchserl wrote:next step was a DACH colours night scheme

Those both look really nice.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:38 pm

taco909 wrote:They DO appear in my screenshots above, which did not have any transparency adjustments made to them. I'm going to run the transparency back up to the top and see if it makes a difference.
Wondering if perhaps we lost transparency in 4?

That was it.

I bumped "Station" back to the left and moved "woods" just slightly to the right and the situation reversed, displaying the schools but not parks.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:33 pm

toggeli wrote:There was a problem with the shading function of the color chooser I use. This is repaired in version 1.7.4. Please tell me if you still get the black (or white) color chosers. (I was not able to reproduce this with an emulator Android 5.0.1 but I hope it is OK now).

Seems to be working well.

A couple of things I've noticed (or rather, NOT noticed) is that some segments do not appear in the dropdown, such as Runways. These items do not render in the default schema, but many custom schema for 3.x display these. Are these no longer available at all in 4.x?

Also on Area Places, you have them defined in the dropdown as "Station", but I am not seeing any area places, fuel station, or school/hospital render on the map.
The labels are shown, but it is as if the transparency is at 100% (though I have the sliders closer to 90% to allow for rendering of stacked areas, such as a fuel station within a college)
Everything looks good on the sample screen.

They DO appear in my screenshots above, which did not have any transparency adjustments made to them. I'm going to run the transparency back up to the top and see if it makes a difference.
Wondering if perhaps we lost transparency in 4?

Perhaps the missing segment types is a localization issue and your default schema that you developed the app from is different from the North American map?
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:56 pm

toggeli wrote:It was removed bu user Ylmaz33 without explanation so I reinstalled it:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Custom_color_schemes

Thanks!
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm

sketch wrote:The list (and these instructions) should be in the wiki: http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Color_schemes

This link appears to be dead.
Has it been relocated?
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:41 pm

I get the same thing, either black or white, but if I tap in the box, the color changes and I can then use the slider.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:40 am

Very very nice utility.
I did these this evening.
Inspired by PZ's original map editors for 3.x
Narrowed the traces a bit and basically copied the WME schema.
Slightly darkened the background, and added black borders.

Copied that to "Night", blacked out the background, and changed the borders to white. Darkened "Street" so it wasn't the stark white at night.

PZ, if you'd like to post this to the Wiki I'd appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gixlx2l0b8moa ... a.zip?dl=0

Screenshot_2016-02-29-21-33-44.jpg
Screenshot_2016-02-29-21-33-44.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 961 times
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 pm

toggeli wrote:Hi, I made a visual editor for color schemes on Android (Toggelis Waze Editor). Tell me if you like it and what features you'd like to see.

That is a really great idea and we certainly appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately, the old files stopped working on the iOS release of Waze 4.x
Perhaps they will still work on the Android version (release date "soon") but we won't know until it gets into beta and someone tries it.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App