Color schemes thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Color schemes thread

Postby fuchserl » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm

paulkok_my wrote:
fuchserl wrote:Hi all,

I created a new theme with colours that people from DACH countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc) are used to from paper maps.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Fuchserl/Colour_schemes/DACH_colours_day
Hi, I can't seem to download both with day and night theme.

Can you share using Google Drive.? Thankz

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Strange, here both download links from the wiki pages work. Have you tried from a computer in case the mobile has a problem with the missing file extension?
I am not using google drive at all, sorry.
fuchserl
Map Editor - Level 6
Map Editor - Level 6

Postby Sixparnis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:11 pm

waze_colors.zip
Cheme files
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
night.png
(246.83 KiB) Downloaded 1390 times
day.png
(247.09 KiB) Downloaded 1389 times
Day and night color schemes for waze 4.x. Created by editing couple of existing ones to suite my needs and look better on Galaxy S4 mini.
Sixparnis

Postby jgreg7 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Two items:

It would be nice to have multiple choices of the map color schemes. The schemes posted here are nice, however there does not seem to be any instructions for actually implementing these in the Waze app (I use an iPhone 6). The version I have has only two choices for color schemes (default, map editors). The default is low contrast and difficult to see, the map editors color scheme blocks out the traffic colors. Look at Google maps basic color scheme when showing the traffic layer turned on - clear, and easy to read.

Also, the app designers should understand that the app is primarily used in a vehicle, where there is likely to be a wide variety of lighting conditions and glare. The color scheme should have significant contrast, especially for messages. The current version has these messages that are white text on a pale blue background, or white text on a pale yellow background. These messages appear as a colored rectangle when viewed in a car, during the daylight hours, especially on a sunny day.

If the message is important enough to create in the first place, it should have sufficient font size and contrast to view at the distance you would expect the phone to be viewed from (e.g. mounted on the dash, etc.).
jgreg7

Postby paulkok_my » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:07 pm

fuchserl wrote:Hi all,

I created a new theme with colours that people from DACH countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc) are used to from paper maps.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Fuchserl/Colour_schemes/DACH_colours_day

[ img ]
Hi, I can't seem to download both with day and night theme.

Can you share using Google Drive.? Thankz

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
paulkok_my
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm

chief5232 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:
toggeli wrote:In the release notes of Waze 4.0.1.0 it is said that color schemes are now unaffected under Marshmallow.
This could mean that the schemes stay in the same public folder as under Kitkat and Lollipop, and can again be edited w.o. root. Could somebody please confirm this?

First of all beta versions, and their release notes are internal only and should only be discussed in centercode, or with other beta testers. They should not be discussed in these public forums at all. Second of all you are misunderstanding what was said in the release. I'd be happy to elaborate further in a beta approved platform.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

It looks like we are at 4.0.1.1 now, up from my current 4.0.0.2, but I don't see updated release notes. I'll hold off updating to see if they update the notes later.

That comment in the release notes was not about custom color schemes, it was about a bug some users experienced where the maps were all shown in black and white after upgrading.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby chief5232 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:01 pm

PesachZ wrote:
toggeli wrote:In the release notes of Waze 4.0.1.0 it is said that color schemes are now unaffected under Marshmallow.
This could mean that the schemes stay in the same public folder as under Kitkat and Lollipop, and can again be edited w.o. root. Could somebody please confirm this?

First of all beta versions, and their release notes are internal only and should only be discussed in centercode, or with other beta testers. They should not be discussed in these public forums at all. Second of all you are misunderstanding what was said in the release. I'd be happy to elaborate further in a beta approved platform.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

It looks like we are at 4.0.1.1 now, up from my current 4.0.0.2, but I don't see updated release notes. I'll hold off updating to see if they update the notes later.
chief5232
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby toggeli » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm

nanakara wrote:I use android device galaxy j5
I think I've just cracked it. But which file do I exchange?

You have to find the waze skin folder which is in the devices external storage dir, i.e. something like this (but this may vary from one device to another)
/storage/emulated/0/waze/ skins/default/day
The day folder contains 8/schema and 12/schema.
8/schema is the the "map editors" scheme, 12/schema is the default scheme.
Just replace the files with valid schema files and restart waze.
Have a look here for more details: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Custom_color_schemes
toggeli

Postby nanakara » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:51 pm

I use android device galaxy j5
I think I've just cracked it. But which file do I exchange?
nanakara
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby toggeli » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:45 pm

nanakara wrote:Could anyone tell me how to put those themes in the app?
I hate the look of 4.x and would like to change it to anything more appropriate.

Hi nanakara, it depends. Are you on iOS, Android Marshmallow or another Android version?
toggeli

Postby nanakara » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Could anyone tell me how to put those themes in the app?
I hate the look of 4.x and would like to change it to anything more appropriate.
nanakara
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App