Custom Routes

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Custom Routes

Postby Airos4 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 am

Can we have a feature that will let me design my intended route on the computer, so that I can then save it to Waze? Every GPS software from Google to Magellan thinks that the fastest way to get from Glenside, PA to Atlantic City is to go straight down the gut of Philadelphia on Broad and then cut out the Ben Franklin. That may be true sometimes, but not during rush hour. I'd like to be able to click and drag a better way around it on my home PC, and then have Waze just prompt me along as I drive.
Airos4

Re: Custom Routes

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 am

There are lots of discussions on this and why it defeats the purpose of waze!
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby Airos4 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:17 pm

I disagree. The point of Waze is to assist the driver in doing what they want to do. My suggestion would continue to include me in the community of people reporting traffic, hazards, etc, and the routing server would still get information. The alternative is having Waze yell at me constantly to go a route that takes me no less than 45 minutes out of my way. I have all of the learning and suggestion settings on and I've been driving this same route for more than a month since I started using Waze, but it hasn't caught on yet.
Airos4

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 pm

Have you used the map editor to check your preferred route?
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:20 pm

airos4 wrote:I disagree. The point of Waze is to assist the driver in doing what they want to do. My suggestion would continue to include me in the community of people reporting traffic, hazards, etc, and the routing server would still get information. The alternative is having Waze yell at me constantly to go a route that takes me no less than 45 minutes out of my way. I have all of the learning and suggestion settings on and I've been driving this same route for more than a month since I started using Waze, but it hasn't caught on yet.

If you are dead set on using a specific route then don't plug in a destination. You can still use all the gubbins and provide all the reports you want.

As for not learning your desired route, there could well be a map problem that needs to be fixed on the editor. Or perhaps the learning feature hasn't been working.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Custom Routes

Postby gettingthere » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Sounds like map issues. We need a Permalink of the area and details on the wrong and correct routing to assist.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby donmccarty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 am

Here is an example for needing a custom route.
I travel for work. I arrived at my client site, drove to a hotel almost an hour away. I was driving right past downtown at 7pm and dreading what it was going to be like in the morning. After speaking with the hotel front desk, they said to take another easier route. A little further in distance but quicker in traffic.

I would love to program the route so that Waze can prompt me when turns are coming up as I'm traveling alone and can't be looking at the device screen while I drive in an unfamiliar area.

Knowing which way I want to go and not knowing when a turn is coming up is very common.
donmccarty

Postby gettingthere » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:02 am

donmccarty wrote:After speaking with the hotel front desk, they said to take another easier route.

Unfortunately the front desk clerk may not be a good substitute for real time traffic and routing data, that is accumulated from 10's, 100's, or 1000's of your fellow Wazers driving in the area. If the maps are good and there are a decent number of Wazers contributing data, and all is working as designed, the route the Waze gives should not be discounted based on the advice of a single human.

Waze is not just about getting directions. It's not a newer version of a printout from Mapquest. It's real time traffic avoidance.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Suik » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 pm

gettingthere wrote: ... and all is working as designed ...
... I wish it would :)
The one that returned
ImageImage
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V, Samsung GS7 stock Android 6.0.1
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko
Suik

Postby R4CLucky14 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Suik wrote:
gettingthere wrote: ... and all is working as designed ...
... I wish it would :)

I finally got it to work once I got into a jam on an Interstate :/

So it did eventually work, after letting my sit in the left lane for more time than wanted. Then I had .6 miles to exit right, as it recalculated. Estupido Waze.

Seriously though, my area maps have been improving, but are not perfect. For the first time, I finally got alternate routes!
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.
R4CLucky14

Next

Return to Waze App