Custom Routes

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Custom Routes

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:06 pm

chris-his wrote:I understand WAZE is primarily about being able to get to work and back the fastest, but if I for ex. want to go through a forest, I still want to get to where I want to go, in the shortest amount of time. I do NOT want to be stuck in traffic on some local road when I go sightseeing, so basically I still need the things WAZE stands for, and I'd hate to have to switch to an alternative program for these things because I like WAZE a lot more.

A compromise is to set your destination (or at least a way point) as the forest you want to go through. But it is possible that Waze won't keep you on the road you want to be on the whole time, so you must have an idea in your mind of where you want to go. I think the same would hold true for most navigation apps.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Custom routes would be nice, but for a system whose basic mathematical routing is still largely a work in progress because of limited map resources that still need a lot of input, the custom route support just seems a bit out of scope for now.

If you really think a certain way is better than what Waze suggests, go that way anyway with Waze turned on. This will enable you to edit the map along that route. Make sure the road segements along the route in question are of the correct type according to the guidelines in the wikis. This has an impact when the distance between your origin and destination is more than a couple miles and the impact gets bigger as the distance gets larger when certain smaller road types start to get ignored. Also, check that all the turns you made are allowed. Remember that by default, Waze assumes that any possible turn is not allowed until it actually sees a track that makes that turn. Waze might discard an entire route or large section of route from consideration if it thinks a certain key turn cannot be made.

Turns out, in my experience, I've found that most routes (after being fixed up in the map editor) I thought were faster than what Waze came up with were actually not faster, Or the actual difference in time was so trivial that the routing server could tip a tie-breaker either way based on reports of even the slightest traffic conditions.

A computer doesn't necessarily do what you want it to do; rather it does what you tell it to do.
MENTOR, CM: United States, AM: Northern NJ, Upstate NY
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.2 / Waze 4.0.0.3
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby pegruder » Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 am

Not to bring this back from the dead - but +1 for this feature. For instance, there are programs (Tyre) that allow you to build custom routes (IE: A Sight seeing route). I would love to be able to import this route, and drive the route with all the waze features. Waze would literally have to do no thinking on the navigation end of it, and just report road hazards. Theres been numerous times where I've reported a dangerous situation (IE: Car stopped on dark road with no hazards around a blind turn) where I've been thanked because it gave the person a heads up. For instance, Tomtoms allow importing of pre built routes. It would be excellent to have this feature in waze!
pegruder

Postby orbitc » Fri May 03, 2013 1:23 am

Isn't that counteractive of what Waze does? Think about it. Waze will route you around the traffic, hazards, road closures and other hazards. Unless, of course you have a short route that you take everyday.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 am

It is totally counter to the purpose of Waze but people really like control despite using an app whose sole purpose is to not rely on programmed routes. :roll:
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby pegruder » Fri May 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Thats why I used the scenic route example. For when you wanna go sight seeing on a pre-built route, but have all the features of waze available IE: Road Hazards, weather ect.
pegruder

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 pm

There is a use for such routes, but they are outside of Waze's current scope of the commuter and short-distance drives market.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sat May 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Careful setup of proper settings (avoid toll, maybe freeway) and a set of stop points allows waze to perform what you want. It's a little bit more painful because you can only set a single stop point, but it's feasible.

Sent from my iTapatalk
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gcarey3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:11 pm

There are many reasons to want a custom route that fall outside of the abilities of Waze even with route learning and all the fancy stuff. Using the original example, even if it was the fastest route I wouldn't drive down Broad Street in Philadelphia at certain times because of safety reasons. I have had people try to reach into my car late at night in center city.

Another reason is that you may want to take a longer, rural or scenic route, a flatter route for better gas mileage, avoid an area experiencing bad weather, etc.

This doesn't discount the features which are being developed for Waze which are pretty powerful for routine driving, and thinking about it from a developer's view it seems like it would be difficult to integrate a custom maps feature overall. But I think it's probably wrong to assume that people always want to go somewhere the fastest or "most often used" way or that Waze knows all the variables that come into play when choosing a route. There should be a way to choose which way you go somehow and still get the excellent reporting capabilities that Waze has.
gcarey3

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:19 pm

gcarey3 wrote:But I think it's probably wrong to assume that people always want to go somewhere the fastest or "most often used" way or that Waze knows all the variables that come into play when choosing a route. There should be a way to choose which way you go somehow and still get the excellent reporting capabilities that Waze has.

Waze's model and current focus remains on the commuting market: to work and home and some stops in between. It is unlikely, for the vast majority of drivers, that many people want to take the scenic or slower route to work.

As Waze matures and has that functionality nailed, they will (likely) expand into other areas of focus, like longer-distance routing, which then has a whole new set of possible and necessary features. One of those is selecting non-optimal routing. It will just not be any time soon.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App