Does Waze consider smaller roads into it's routing?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Does Waze consider smaller roads into it's routing?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Waze tracks road congestion/speed in 10-minute intervals for every day of the week. With enough Wazer density and data made available by Wazers being on all the roads at some point in the past contributing to the data, Waze should be able to make the best calculation in most every circumstance. I think having ALL the data necessary is a good sized chunk of the problem in Waze knowing when it is OK to route off the main roadways.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:44 am

Mirarkitty wrote:Really? Well, that explains a lot...
Why not use all the roads all the time?

Possibly the computational complexity of considering all roads all the time would cause routing requests to take too long. Also, when routing long distances, it is highly unlikely you would choose to drive on a 2-lane dirt road or side-street next to the freeway rather than the freeway itself. It's rather common sense.

Now, how Waze (re)considers street type when extreme slowdowns/accidents occur is another topic perhaps, but that's just me musing.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Antmannz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 pm

I have a feeling junction points also create quite a penalty when calculating routes.

I've seen where a misplaced additional junction point on a primary road caused Waze to route around back streets to avoid it (reducing the total number of junction points traversed).

In theory toll roads, freeways and motorways should have less junction points than standard streets (especially over a distance), thereby giving them quite a precedence when being chosen.
Antmannz

Postby Antmannz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

RodNav wrote:
Copied this from the automatic answer:
Code: Select all
Long Distances:
0-15 km - All road types are allows for routing.
15-20 km - All road types except Streets.
20-30 km - All road types except Streets and Primary streets.
30-200 km - Only Minor, Major, and Freeways.
more than 200 km - only Freeways.

That's nuts. Most commutes would be longer than 20km; and here in Auckland the motorways (freeways) are the state highways (major, minor) thereby negating any sort of usefulness whatsoever.
Antmannz

Postby bgodette » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:But one single street segment in the middle of what should be a freeway will indeed cause problems.
That's not the case either. The system appears to have different pruning strengths depending on how far A->B is in a straight line. All road types appear to be considered but at ever decreasing run lengths the farther A->B is. There's also a prune based on the ratio of straight line distance vs traveled distance, this was the problem Jenncard originally had for Boulder->Winter Park that has since been adjusted at least twice to some larger number.

From that other thread you saw, my long non-freeway route example tipping point happens to be right around 330km in a straight line.

In any case, as you mentioned, it's best to have your roads Typed correctly for best results. It matters, but not as much as that penalties list would lead you to believe.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 am

Mirarkitty wrote:
RodNav wrote:Copied this from the automatic answer:
Long Distances:

Really? Well, that explains a lot...
Why not use all the roads all the time?

I regularly go over 20km (Stockholm) and regularly gets routed on to bad roads (>Primary). This is stupid...?!?
Yes lets completely ignore the rest of the thread after that list and go on a trip of hyperbole. That list has been proved to be in disagreement with how routing actually works with a well edited map with sufficient user density.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

RodNav wrote:Copied this from the automatic answer:
Long Distances:
25Km point to point, ~35Km driven. uses Primary in the middle.
31Km point to point, ~48Km driven. Still uses Primary in the middle.
58.8Km point to point, ~72.4Km driven. Still uses Primary. And now I'm starting to run out of well edited area.
22Km point to point, ~31.3Km driven. Uses Primary for almost the entire route.
Clearly that list is not an absolute and should not be treated as such.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby crazycomputingdotnet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 am

I have a ~ 64km drive each way to work, and I have several options on getting there. I have found that with leaving Waze on and driving those options Waze has learned the routes and time of those routes (all the routes I take all take about the same ammount of time because of distance and I normally don't drive durring rush hour) however one of the suggested routes it gives me as an alternitave is 4 miles of street driving vs 4 miles of highway driving because it knows that durring that time durring the day it is faster to take the surface route over vs the highway drive. You may just have to use waze out of navigation mode a few times on the surface roads to make it realise that the surface roads are quicker than the highways. That is granted your route doesn't have any map issues as suggested above. Once it learns that this is a faster alternitave durring rush hour it might just start navigating you that way too.
crazycomputingdotnet
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby danohi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 am

bgodette wrote:Yes lets completely ignore the rest of the thread after that list and go on a trip of hyperbole. That list has been proved to be in disagreement with how routing actually works with a well edited map with sufficient user density.

I think this is the crux- Waze does not tell us if our local area is well-edited with sufficient user density. When I visited Los Angeles a couple of months ago, I found Waze capable of re-routing me to other routes to avoid major traffic crunches. In my home market of Honolulu, with settings of fastest & avoid major highways non-selected, Waze will usually offer only the one east-west interstate as a route, ignoring primary streets and minor highways. I usually use the navigation only for the graphic traffic bar, then turn it off.
danohi

Postby dknight212 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:21 pm

In which case there might well be a mapping error as Roy said. Someone will look into it for you.

David using Tapatalk
David (not Dave!) Knight • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (CM10.1.3) • Ubuntu (latest)
UK Country AdminArea Manager for London
UK links: UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area Manager
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App