speed limit of the road on the map

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

speed limit of the road on the map

Postby dsaville75 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm

I just started using Waze and it is the greatest navagation app I have used. I searched the settings but did not see an option to have the speed limit of the road you are traveling displayed on the map it shows my speed. Is there a way to enable that or is that currently under development.

If this question has been posted before my appologies.
dsaville75

Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby RallyChris » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Apologies accepted.

Not at this time.

Speed limit has been talked about before. I've not seen it mentioned as being on the developer road map for the near future.

The trick is getting the data in, in the first place. Right now, waze knows how fast people drive a road. Not what they are legally allowed to do.

So, the question is... how does waze get this data into the system, if they do want to do it.

There are two camps and both have legitimate reason for and against it.
Some map editors don't want to have another layer of update request for speed limit changes
Some users think this is a needed feature as it is sometimes hard to tell what the speed limit is in an unfamiliar area, and it may not be well signed.

Right now... waze is working hard on getting existing features running better/faster, so I wouldn't expect it soon.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby bgodette » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 am

RallyChris wrote:Some users think this is a needed feature as it is sometimes hard to tell what the speed limit is in an unfamiliar area, and it may not be well signed.
This particular problem has a trivial solution: keep to the outside lane(s) and don't go faster than surrounding traffic. Just like you were hopefully taught in Drivers Ed and the rules of the road booklet. As for residential, you'll never get a ticket for driving too slow unless you're impeding traffic which basically refers back to first rule of thumb.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby prandez » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 pm

The current speed limit feature would be a great improvement for me. Roads in Spain are not always well signed and it is easy to overspeed without noticing.

It is one of the very few things I miss from my TOMTOM.
prandez

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:55 pm

prandez wrote:The current speed limit feature would be a great improvement for me. Roads in Spain are not always well signed and it is easy to overspeed without noticing.

Sure seems like it would be very difficult, if you can't find the speed of a road when you're on it, to figure out what speed to enter into Waze...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:13 am

Well, the wazer that gets the ticket can correct the speed limit on the map. Just like providing the jam data to the wazer behind you when you get caught in the jam.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby whatever2015 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 am

i currently use Sygic GPS, as it has speed limits.

It also has options to be alerted if you are going 3, 6, or 9 MPH faster or slower than the posted speed limit. I sometimes have it run in the background because the audible alert will go off.

It's not a free app but there is a free trial.

Copilot boasts speed limits but in the USA version it doesn't work.
whatever2015

Postby harling » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:08 pm

i currently use [name of GPS system], as it has speed limits...

Other GPS systems have speed limits because that's their only speed data. Using this data (assuming it is correct and complete), they give you the best route--under the assumption you are able to, and will, drive at the speed limit on every road in your route. They do not take into account that prevailing traffic may normally be 15mph above the speed limit, or that there is gridlock around a certain highway exit at certain times of day. Since speed limit data is their only option, they must gather it (and have already done so), at which point displaying it on their device, issuing warnings upon exceeding it by a certain amount, etc. requires very little additional investment.

Waze does not require speed limit data in order to work. It gathers real-world data that does reflect actual, typical speeds at various times of day. So, given a map network that is connected properly and has sufficient speed data gathered, Waze will give a real-world ETA, and will suggest routes that account for typical road speeds at the current time of day. So for Waze, the additional effort of gathering, incorporating and maintaining speed limit data--solely to provide some minor niceties that other GPS products offer--makes little sense.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby whatever2015 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:12 pm

i understand.

but what i was saying with Sygic is that someone can run it in the background while using waze and can be alerted if they are speeding via a sound that sygic outputs.

People desire speed limits in waze so they dont speed on the road they are on if the speed limit is unknown. No one wants waze to base its' navigation on the posted speed limit.

perhaps waze could make an option in the client to display the average road speed in place of the speedometer and that would be a quick fix for those of us desiring speed limits.
whatever2015

Postby harling » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:58 am

realc4ever wrote:People desire speed limits in waze so they dont speed on the road they are on if the speed limit is unknown. No one wants waze to base its' navigation on the posted speed limit.

Since Waze has no need to accumulate, store and maintain speed limit data, it is unlikely that they are going to undertake that considerable task, solely to support one or two features that would be "nice to have".
perhaps waze could make an option in the client to display the average road speed in place of the speedometer and that would be a quick fix for those of us desiring speed limits.

That too has been suggested. Unfortunately, it's both useless and misleading for those who want this feature to help them stay within the actual speed limit. (Each time someone is ticketed for speeding while driving according to the average speed, it will be "Waze's fault".)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Next

Return to Waze App